*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304062-Trinket
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #2304062
A woman receives a unique birthday gift and a second chance at happiness.
“Trinket”
By
W. P. Gerace

Priscella woke up for the first time without the blasting of her rooster alarm, blaring her out of a deep sleep. Today was different. She could sleep in and allow the warm rays of the morning sun to caress her cheeks on this special day. She stretched, looking out into the crisp, deep blue sky outside above her, the skylight providing ample view of the gorgeous day ahead. Priscella could not believe she was retired after nearly forty years working as a fourth-grade schoolteacher. On top of it, it was her sixty-fifth birthday today. Sighing, this is a day she wished that she had children and grandchildren to celebrate her golden years with. It was one of the many reasons that kept her teaching for so long. She probably would have taught another fifteen years without a drastic change in the Phoenix School District Administration.

Running her hands over her bed’s red silky sheets, something pointy and thorny almost protruded from underneath. Alarmed, wondering what it could be, she pulled the sheets to find a paw. Dangling from a gold chain, its luster sparkling in the morning summer sunlight, it was almost magical, Priscella noticed. The reflection almost seemed like a sparkling golden hue, as if the necklace contained magical powers. Next to the unique item was a white envelope that said My Best Friend, Dolly. Only one person called her Dolly, but they had been dead for nearly twenty years. How could this be? Priscella wondered as she looked around her empty bedroom. Holding the Paw in her hand, the white fur was so smooth the little claws, though small, were quite incisive. They appeared to be clipped and were painted a pinkish color. Pink was her favorite color.

Opening the envelope, Priscilla smelled the faint scent of Bruce’s cologne, a distinct Woodsy sage fragrance of his favorite brand, Man’s Top Choice, teasing her senses. The card had Bruce all over it, a picture of tall green trees and a man riding a horse in the background. This man also looked like Bruce, with wavy silver hair and vivid almond eyes. It was him. Inside the card was the most heartwarming message from her best friend. Hey Dolly, I just wanted to send you a special gift on your special day, girl. This wolf’s Paw will keep you forever young and guard over you as if I were still there. Love you very much, Bruce.

Holding the trinket in her hand, Bruce was an avid animal lover. He loved all kinds of animals and had raised and kept practically every animal in his 800-acre land in Tucson. She even remembered he had this stunning snow-white wolf. Her eyes were a riveting forest color. Beatrice was her name, and she was so tame and respectful. Until she met Bruce, she had never even heard of a wolf being kept as a pet.

“Thank you, Bruce. This means so much to me. I wish you were still here, my friend. “Crying, she rocked back and forth on her bed, holding her unique birthday gift, one she would never forget.

Suddenly, a white cloud filled her room. The scent was spiced apples, reminding her of Bruce’s famous spiced apple pie, a favorite Holiday tradition. Growing more extensive with each second, the cloud consumed her entire room until she was surrounded by its presence and unable to see anything. Out of the cloud came a silver wolf. This one had sparkling tangerine eyes, its bright light making a clear path in the fog that ensued.

Moving back along her bed, trying to find the headboard, Priscilla’s anxiety rose as the creature approached her. This animal seemed quite docile, not once baring its teeth, howling, or showing any signs of aggression.

“Dolly, it’s me, your best friend Bruce. I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I hope you like my gift. This Paw will keep us together, and I will always be at your side, my friend. I know you are worried about being alone and having nothing to do. But do not worry, my friend. You and I will spend a lot of time together. Please don’t be afraid. “Bruce’s voice spoke through the wolf.

“Bruce, how is this possible? Why, after all these years, you have been dead for so long? “Priscilla asked.

“Friend, you were busy teaching. You had plenty of stuff to keep you occupied. But now we can spend time together. I always loved you. “Bruce jumped up, nestling his head in Priscilla’s lap.

“I did, too. It just wasn’t in the cards at the time. I feel it is too late. “Priscilla sobbed, clutching the Paw in her hand.

“It is not late, my love. Let us make up for lost time. Let me start by making your birthday special. “Bruce replied, this time appearing in his man-made body.

“I don’t know Bruce. You’re not here anymore. “

“Nonsense, Dolly. That Paw I gave you has special powers. Do this and follow me closely. Hold on to the Paw and say to it, please take me back to when Bruce was alive. I want to rewrite my history. Please trust me. “

Shaking her head, Priscilla said hesitantly, “Take me back in time when Bruce was alive. I want to rewrite my history. “

Priscilla felt her skin and face tingle. Slowly, she was evaporating as she held the Paw. Within seconds, Priscilla was now in the home of Bruce. They were holding hands and hugging each other. She noticed a gorgeous diamond ring on her left hand. Miracles do happen, she thought to herself as she smiled. Holding on to the Paw, she was grateful for second chances.
© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304062-Trinket