*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304127-The-Childs-Questions
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Spiritual · #2304127
and what Dad and Mom said Words: 442
"But -- but -- that means ..." the child stammered.

"Yes, darling, it does," her father replied, calmly.

"But -- Daddy!"

"Listen, sweetheart, we all do our work knowing the shadow of death exists. The light of life gives the shadow of death, both go together."

"It's not fair!" she blurted. "Why should the poor dog lie down in green pastures assuming he is comfortable when ---"

"The dog has to protect the livestock, child, it is his job. If the leopard comes from this forest to the farm, the leopard will take the dog and ignore the valuable livestock."

"The dog is valuable too!"

"Only for the work he does. He shall, ultimately, be rewarded for walking the paths of righteousness, never fear."

"But he isn't! The farmer is making him!"

"Child, you think the dog does not know what his role is? He does, and he performs it gladly."

"How do you know he's glad?"

"His eyes shine and his tail wages. His heart is pure. Now there's your mother calling us in to dinner."

The mother spotted immediately that her daughter had been weeping. She raised her eyebrows at her husband, and he gave her a slight nod.

Hands and faces duly washed, they sat down to dinner and grace was said.

The mother immediately sensed the child's lack of appetite. She spoke.

"What's wrong, dear? Did something happen? Don't you like the vegetables?"

"Mom -- " the child began to sniff. "How can I sit here with all this food, a table before me, when I know that poor Rover ..."

"Aha. So you've understood what Rover actually does for the farmer."

"And I don't care what anyone says, I think it's mean."

"Dear, do you remember when there was a pandemic, and we salw all those doctors on TV, helping to heal the sick folk?"

"Yes."

"They knew they might get the infection, but they didn't flinch from their duty. They also knew that ultimately the universe is full of goodness and mercy."

"But Rover doesn't know, does he, Mom?"

"Rover knows perhaps better than any of us do. He's smart and he's close to God."

The child was silent for the rest of the meal, but she had begun to eat again. The parents stayed silent too, allowing their daughter to work it out in her own mind and heart.

The child's face was a mirror of her thoughts. First glum, then thoughtful, then calm. She picked her food, then began to eat with her usual appetite and gusto.

Dessert was hot chocolate, in large mugs.

The child raised hers and smiled at her parents. "I'm lucky because my cup runs over," she said.
© Copyright 2023 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304127-The-Childs-Questions