*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304224-Star-Trek-got-me-committed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Family · #2304224
How an obsession turns into a mental heath crisis.
"Parasocial interaction" is the term the doctor used. He explained that this phenomenon occurs when individuals form intense, one-sided relationships with fictional characters or celebrities. While being a fan of Star Trek is perfectly normal, believing you are a character can indicate an underlying issue that may require professional help, such as counseling or therapy, to understand and address the reasons behind this behavior. Striking a balance between fiction and reality is essential, as my brother unfortunately learned the hard way, ending up in the hospital.

It all began when we were children, attending our first convention in the 70s. The convention was a vibrant gathering of fans in elaborate costumes, surrounded by hundreds of vendor tables selling everything from comic books and badges to prop replicas and copies of scripts. In the main hall, movies were screened using a projector, showcasing outtakes, blooper reels, and new, small-budget films you'd never find in a regular theater. The experience felt truly magical.

In those days, information spread through word of mouth, and a rumor quickly circulated that a major character from Star Trek, my brother's favorite show, was somewhere in the convention. My brother was determined to get an autograph, and we dashed around the convention in search of the que for the actor's table. Waiting for two hours in that line felt like an eternity, and the pace was agonizingly slow. We were nearly ten people away from meeting the actor when, abruptly, he got up, waved goodbye to everyone, and left. I looked behind us, and there were still hundreds of fans waiting. Disappointment engulfed the crowd, and my brother broke down in tears. It was a moment of profound despair, and he was never quite the same after that day; an obsession had taken root.

I was just a kid, bewildered by my brother's fixation on Star Trek. For years, he channeled all his money into anything related to the show, ordering from comic book stores and magazines. He never outgrew it, even as an adult, obsessively discussing the show's characters as if he knew them personally and recounting his imaginary adventures and missions. He maintained a job and paid his bills, but something eventually triggered a complete detachment from reality. Perhaps it was the stress, as he lost his job due to his peculiar behavior. When I visited him, he was wearing his Star Trek uniform and adorned with props like the communicator, phaser, and tricorder.

He continuously repeated phrases like, "Enterprise, come in. One to beam up. ENTERPRISE, do you read me?" He genuinely believed he was a crew member in Star Trek. Our family tried to help him, but he steadfastly clung to his fantasy. Ultimately, he was hospitalized.

I asked the doctor what could drive someone to invest so heavily in fiction that it overtakes reality. The doctor explained it this way: Star Trek presents a simplified version of life compared to the intricate complexities of reality. In the Star Trek universe, major life stresses like money or food scarcity simply don't exist. Relationships are built on professional roles that are both fascinating and fulfilling. The doctor cited other examples to illustrate this point.

Recovery was a long and arduous journey for my brother. He never fully returned to his "normal" self, but he did manage to rebuild his life and regain some semblance of control. I don't blame Star Trek for what happened to my brother, but the way he tells the story: "Star Trek got me committed."
© Copyright 2023 Show Show (showshow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304224-Star-Trek-got-me-committed