*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304287-The-Shirt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2304287
Sequel to "The Train"
The boy tumbled on the grass, the football firmly tucked under his arm.

“Nice catch!” his older brother, Tommy, shouted.

He got up beaming and ran to where his brother stood, the sun at his back. As he tossed the football back to him, he noticed the green stains on his circus t-shirt and his face crumpled.

“It’s okay, Sam,” his brother said wiping the shirt.

Tears welled up in Sam’s eyes and threatened to spill as his mouth turned downward. “We can clean it,” Tommy said and took his hand as they walked quietly back home through the field. The shirt was fairly new, having gotten it a month ago at the circus. Sam had been mesmerized and full of joy to finally see the acts and animals in person after watching the circus train pass the back of his house every year and only wondering what it would be like.

Pushing through the screen door Sam looked up at Tommy, eyes both pleading and trusting. “Here, big guy,” Tommy said reaching for the t-shirt draped over the chair. It had a small embroidered flag on the sleeve. “Put my shirt on while we clean yours.” Sam let Tommy pull the shirt over his head and put on his brother’s. His fingers traced the flag as he watched Tommy work on the grass stain, spraying and soaking.

Sam then watched as the shirt with the gray elephant and orange tiger flopped and turned in the washer. It was smushed when, finally, it was ready to come out. Tommy sighed deeply then turned around, holding it up to Sam’s hopeful gaze. Sam’s smile grew as he took the good-as-new wet shirt in his hands and reached out to hug Tommy with all his might.

WC 294



© Copyright 2023 Lorelei (serendipity15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304287-The-Shirt