*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304510-Who-Knew
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2304510
Flash Fiction
Who Knew

The sun was bright, sky blue, off to our favorite place for Saturday morning, our local playground. The kids ran and played to their hearts desire, being fenced in, and appropriate for their ages, I could sit reading my book in peace. After a hectic week of work for me, and school for them, it was delightful to start our weekend together. Them running off excess energy, me relaxing and enjoying my children at play. My book allowed me a glimpse into another world, and the delight of knowledge that we had the whole rest of the weekend still ahead.

The playground was closed. I don’t know who was more upset, the kids, or me. No, I do know. Me. I got out of the car to read the sign pinned to the gate. Lots of official words, but the gist being the playground needed cleaning and being shorthanded at Town Maintenance, they were closing it down temporarily. I immediately called my friend Janice, also flabbergasted, and we both went directly to the police department! (The Town Hall closed Saturday morning, of course…)

We made such a fuss! Not about the clean-up, about no information it was about to happen! Dozens of families used that playground, especially on Saturdays!

Our Chief of Police was listening as we spued our rage. He calmly walked over.

“I’ve seen the playground, it’s a mess, but not dangerous. If we had a clean up crew free, we could have it back in shape in a few hours…” and he looked directly and me and Janice…

What else could we do? We took the kids and cleaned the park. Others came, immediately joining in. It was heartwarming. The beginning of the Park Playground Project.

It’s been going on strong now for fourteen years. Who knew?
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304510-Who-Knew