*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304978-Terabytes-and-Graphene
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2304978
Opening/chapter 1 with hook...a love story, essentially
The warmth of the morning sun creeps in. It ignites his senses and Krim's eyes open. He looks over at the girl in his bed. Light caresses auburn strands and underscores her freckles. She is beautiful in every single way. Yet, this is the end.

He glides his arm out from under her body. He's careful not to disrupt her peace as he slides out of bed and out of the room. A repurposed office mail collector serving as both a buffet table and butler passes him in the hall as he walks into another room.

The room is geometric. The furniture pieces are overpriced squares and rectangles and hard edges. It is cold and impersonal in every way.

Computers and screens decorate it. Hard drives and servers hum and sparkle. He sits and picks up a slender, but oddly pieced together one-lense monocle. He opens it up, swaps pieces of hardware a bit and closes it back up.

There's a knock and he turns in his chair to the door.

"Good morning." The girl smiles and takes a step in.

"Hey. Breakfast is in the room."

"I saw." She tilts her head slightly. "So, I guess this is goodbye then."

"I think so." Krim gives a faint smile.

"Well, you are certainly fun, Krim," she says.

"You as well, Amber."

"Maybe we'll run across each other, if you decide to buy another one of daddy's companies."

Krim chuckles.

"Whoever she is, she's lucky to have you."

"Thank you."

"Goodbye, Krim."

"Goodbye, Amber."

Her fingers disappear from the doorway. He knows they'll never meet again.

Krim refocuses on his work and puts the hardware on his head. He feels its tiny needle puncture his temple.

He turns toward the doorway again.

A faint silhouette of a woman saunters in and pixelates into whole as she approaches him. She has high cheekbones. Her eyebrows arc over large, oval eyes. Thick bundles of curls drape down her body.

"Morning, love." He says.

She smiles and leans against his desk.

"You had a fun night." She crosses her arms.

"Amber's facinating. Body and intellect."

"Krim." She sounds almost startled.

"Yes?" He asks typing away.

"My system databases are so much bigger."

"Terrabytes and graphene. Nothing more, love." He hits the enter key, "there."

She looks over at the screen, "Efficient."

"An army of engineers couldn't optimize your software. I did it in twelve hours."

"Those engineers are not you, love. Look at me," She instructs and he swings his chair to face her.

Their eyes meet. She rests her hands on his thighs; the pads of her fingertips fade into his skin.

"Why can't you move on?"

His eyes narrow.

"I'm sorry. Too big a question?" Her eyes are empathetic.

"No. Question indicates the algorithm is working quite well." His lips betray the mischievous smile of a child.

"Then?"

"Because I don't want to. My life. My rules."

She touches the device on his temple. A droplet of blood has formed as if it were yeast rising into bread.

"Extraordinary device."

"One that'll never see the light of day."

She is puzzled for a moment.

"It's for me. A secret for 1" he raises a finger.

She raises 2 fingers, "A secret for 2. So what's next?"

He reclines back and she tilts her head ever so slightly. Her eyes open into his.

"How do you know there is a next? I could simply shut it all down. Retire. Bask or whatever." His eyes peer into her like that of a researcher peering into a lab experiment.

"Because you are haunted."

"I'm a dreamer." He interupts her, but relents.

"No. A dreamer has a destinaton in mind. A conclusion he believes is attainable."

"I don't?"

"No, you are haunted," she is unfazed, "I infer a longing in you. Desperation for something you know you will never find. Yet, you're determined. Oddly despite all the knowledge you possess. An endless search which, somehow, will be the end of you." She pauses for a moment and continues, "And it seems then, of me, as well."

The silence swells. His eyes are fixed on her.

Finally, she says "I'm sorry. Perhaps I should adjust my algorithms." She closes her eyes.

"No!" He beckons her to stop and she looks at him again. "You systems are fine. They clearly function. But, I am bored. We need a new project. Search for small million dollar technology companies that have received necessary cash infusions in the last 2 months. Other parameters are based on your knowledge of me. Their owners are likely to be very willing to sell."

She closed her eyes. Search is done, based on the given arguments. I have emailed a list.

"Not necessary. Pick any four. Draw up and send the paperwork. Offer them double what the company is worth based on the last cash infusion."
© Copyright 2023 Wrath.of.Khan (ialbania at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2304978-Terabytes-and-Graphene