*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305145-Allowed-Aloud
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Career · #2305145
At a very important meeting. WORD COUNT: 456
"I think, gentlemen, if we agree, we can bring this meeting to a close sooner rather than later."

Sir Humphrey spoke smoothly, politely, but there was an unpleasant ring in his voice that all his Cambridge Education Board colleagues understood.

Sir Frank chose to ignore the unpleasant undertones. He had his position to keep and he would not budge from it. Let the others use any means to influence him, he had the interests of the students at heart and he would stand his ground.

"With due respect, Sir Humphrey," he said, "it is not the purpose of this meeting to come to a close quickly, but to decide something that could affect the future of the young minds in our care."

Sir Humphrey's eyes glinted. "Respect given, Sir Frank," he hissed. "And might I remind you that I have been caring for young minds since the time you, yourself had a young mind ..."

Everyone silently added, "Or a mind at all" to complete the sentence, but nobody uttered this aloud.

"Maybe then, Sir Humphrey, you are by now a bit too -- let us say -- senior -- to lead such an important ..."

"This is impertinence to the Chair and I shall not tolerate it!"

As usual, it was Bernard who tried to pour healing oil on stormy waters.

"To recap the agenda for the meeting, we are here to discuss whether the study of the making and social impact of the horseshoe is to be a compulsory subject or an optional one."

"And," Sir Humphrey intoned, "we are almost unanimously agreed," (shooting a dark glance at Sir Frank) "that it should be optional as not everyone has the aptitude ...'

"But that is precisely my point! Because they do not have the aptitude it has to be taught to them!"

"Sir Frank, do you understand -- parents will withdraw their wards from this school if horseshoe becomes a compulsory subject. We cannot have that happen."

"Parents don't always know what is good for their children. It is up to us, as enlightened educators, to -- well -- educate them."

"We educate students, not their parents."

"We need to educate the parents in order to educate the students."

"Sir Frank, it's getting late and all of us want to go home to dinner. Would you stop arguing, please?"

"Is that the only reason why you don't want to sit and talk this out? Well then -- Bernard -- call the Windsor Manor and order in dinner for all of us, on me."

(Two hours later)

"And we are all agreed to Sir Frank's excellent proposal that horseshoe be a compulsory subject. Thank you, Sir Frank, for opening our eyes."

Everyone added, "And loosening our belts with the delicious meal" but nobody said it aloud.
© Copyright 2023 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305145-Allowed-Aloud