*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305408-Fred
by D.B.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Animal · #2305408
Fred is a neighborhood cat who used to visit us
I have to say I am a cat person. I have my own black cat, Sparky who is of course my favorite. But there have been many neighborhood cats who have touched my heart as well, and I give them my own names if I don't know their name. I live next to a lady with several cats (she swears she is not the crazy cat lady) and I know most of their names. But of course I gave them my own names as well before I found out what their real names were. I like my made-up names better sometimes, but I digress.

Often neighborhood cats come into my backyard and when my husband or I look outside and see one we always let the other know because we love seeing the cats. One tuxedo cat I named Sylvester but who I found out later was really named Severus, likes to take naps on our patio bench. Another cat that used to like our backyard was a cat I named Fred. I have no idea whether Fred was a girl or a boy but to me they looked like a Fred. Fred had this lowly, loud meow that was very unique. Also Fred liked to pick fights. Luckily this was not a problem for my cat as she is strictly an indoor cat. She does, however, sometimes look at other cats through our french doors and they usually have a staring contest until one gets bored and walks away.

Despite Fred's feistiness and sometimes bullying vibe, there was something very special about them. Yes there was a tough exterior but inside there was a unique sweetness. Fred has not come around for months, and I hope to think that they are still around somewhere. Maybe their family moved or maybe they just don't come to this neck of the woods anymore. Some other cats that have captured my heart is a cat I named Valentine, who visited for a short while years ago and had a red collar and a snaggle tooth. And also Nutmeg, who looked a lot like Fred and I haven't seen for years either.

Wherever you are Fred, I wish you well. And I miss you.

Note: I use they/their /them pronouns to refer to Fred as I don't know Fred's sex. But to me the name Fred seemed to fit this cat regardless if it is a boy or a girl.
© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305408-Fred