*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305461-Oops
Rated: E · Draft · Contest Entry · #2305461
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge!
Word count : 250

Years ago, before MapQuest was invented. I took a road trip to visit my daughter. She warned me to be careful and not get caught in the wrong parts of the city.
But I got lost when I took the wrong exit.

I stopped to get directions at a gas station in a poorer section of Seattle. A red-haired man lingered near the door. Something about him gave me the “hebe-gee-bees” I tried to avoid eye contact. I kept my nose pointed to the floor as I passed by him.

As I got to my car, I saw him get into his, too. And when I pulled into the right lane, he did too. His car was following me, so I sped up. I wove in and out through traffic trying to shake him off my tail. But to no avail.


My anxiety level was climbing. My hands, drenched in sweat, could barely grip the steering wheel. He’s going to ram my car. He’s gesturing to me to pull over. I don’t. What fool would?


Now he is ahead of me and slowing down. I try to go around him. He blocks me with the car. I began to cry. Suddenly, my fear turns to anger. I am about to ram him.

I look at him with hate and roll my window down to yell at him. Cuss at him really.

He also rolled his window down and yelled.
“You’re going the wrong way.”

“Thank you.” I said humbly.
© Copyright 2023 Simply Me (evelyncase at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305461-Oops