*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305592-Grandpa
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2305592
Grandchildren get to spend Halloween with the Grandpa as he tells scary stories.
                   Grandpa          




         "Why can't we go out Trick or Treating this year?"
         "For the last time, you are all too old. You are thirteen, Joe is twelve, and Jimmy is ten. Don't answer the door for anyone. Dad and I are going to visit someone tonight. You have our cell phone numbers if you have any questions. We don't know what time we will be home. We will call if we are going to be too late."
         "Your Mom is right. We have to get going. Lock the door when we leave and turn off the front porch light so you don't get anyone trick or Treating. Just go into the den and watch movies."
         "Yes, sir," Joe said miserably as he went to the kitchen to get some snacks before he went to the den.
         "I get to watch my show first," Jimmy shouted as he ran toward the den.
         "Whatever," Michael said following.
         Thirty minutes after their parents left, the doorbell rang. The boys looked toward the door and hesitated as this was the first time it had rung. It rang again, twice a row, followed by knocking.
         "I am going to see who it is. Don't leave the den unless I call you." Michael warned.
         Michael cautiously approached the light switch for the outside lights as he approached the front door. When he was within reach, he clicked them on. He was relieved and surprised to see his Grandpa outside the door waving at him. Michael, relieved, hurriedly unlocked the door and let his Grandpa in.
         Hugging him, Michael says, "Hi, Grandpa! What are you doing here? Mom and Dad are gone right now, visiting someone."
         "I know. I thought I would come over and stay a while your parents were gone to see my favorite boys. So, what are you doing on Halloween Eve? Telling ghost stories, watching spooky shows, or reading stories that give you the chills?"
         "Nay. Jimmy is watching the Kid's Network, Joe is on the computer, and I am doing some homework for tomorrow."
         "Nothing scary? On Halloween? We can't have that. Let's go in there and change all that."
         Michael and his Grandpa walk into the den and surprise Joe and Jimmy. After Grandpa gives them deep hugs and explains why he is there, Grandpa tells the boys what will happen next.
         "You need to put everything away now. I am going to tell you three Halloween stories."
         "Are the scary?" Jimmy asks.
         "They might be. You will have to decide when I'm done if they are."
         "Once, a beautiful woman named Anna received a music box from a secret admirer. There was a note attached that said:"
                   To Anna: May you always dance to life's joys.
         "Anna was so overwhelmed with the gift because she had never received a music box that she wound up the box and opened the lid to listen to the music. Instead of music, there was silence. At first, she thought she hadn't wound it properly, so she wound it more. Still, no music is heard."
         "Thinking the music box was broken, she thought about throwing it away. However, the tiny figurine was exquisitely crafted and lifelike, so Anna opened the box with the lid."
         That night, as Anna was about to fall asleep, she began to hear the music box music begin. The tune was soft, enchanting, and hypnotizing. She began to feel she was dancing in circles like the tiny dancer."
         "Three days later, the police found an empty room with two small exquisitely crafted and lifelike dancers.
         "Was she turned into a little dancer, too, Grandpa?" Jimmy asked.
         "I believe she was. Don't worry, though. I am sure it didn't hurt her when she was."
         "The next one happened in the next town a couple of years ago. It was Halloween night, like tonight. Two college kids were home on break and wanted to prank some younger kids, so they pretended they had items from a haunted house. They had a cup, a bowl, a hairbrush, a suitcase, and a silver tea service they bought from a thrift shop. All they needed was to find a gullible person to scare.
         "Over there. Do you see her? She is by herself. She looks about sixteen or seventeen and by herself. She looks really stupid. She is our target. I start talking."
         Walking up to the girl, "Excuse us, would you be in the market to purchase these cursed items? They are from a haunted house across town. I am sure you heard about it. It is located by the cemetery where all the dead bodies have been dug up and partially eaten. Before you say a word, let me point out a few things about our merchandise. This bowl once held the grapes of a wraith."
         After saying the pun, he laughed at his joke. No one else did; however, he didn't notice.
         This hairbrush is frequently used on television shows for its hairy character. I can't name the show, but I think you have seen "It."
         Before he continues, he notices his friend is suddenly gone from behind him. He doesn't give it a second thought and continues.
         "I was saving this next piece for a special person. I think you are very special, and tonight is your lucky night. I am glad you and I met."
         Before he could continue, the ghoul opened its mouth wide, jumped the four-foot distance between the two, and took a bite from the face of the student, forcing him down onto the sidewalk where she ate her special meal.
         The grandkids all looked wide-eyed at their Grandpa and didn't say anything.
         "What's wrong? Ghouls got your tongue. That's what a Halloween story is all about. To scare you. It makes you look at things twice. Double-check shadows. Keep the lights on."
         "Do you believe in ghouls, Grandpa?" Joe asked.
         "Can't say I ever met one."
         He looked at his watch and said, " I have time for one more. Once, a family lived in a house over thirty years old. The family loved their home despite its age. The floors creaked, the doors squeaked, and on rainy days, the roof may leak; however, it was a loved house."
         "The family was unaware of this, but the house had a resident ghost. It wasn't the haunting kind. It was the kind that looked after the family when it could and tried its best to make the house a home for all of them."
         The ghost was there before the family moved in, as it took care of the previous two families. The spirit was fading and soon would be gone with no one to protect and nurture the family. Being a house ghost takes a loving and unique kind of spirit. It would need to find a replacement, or the house could fall under a malevolent spirit.
         "All the house ghosts could do was wait for the right time to be released by the perfect replacement."
         "Well, was that better? No scary ghouls or anyone turning into a tiny dancer. It was just about a caring house spirit."
         "The house ghost sounded cool. I wish we had one. I wonder if it would do my homework for me." Said Jimmy.
         "I don't think it is that kind of house ghost," Michael added.
         "Well, everyone, it's time for me to go. I have to leave now. I may have stayed a little later than I should have, but that's ok."
         "Do you have to leave, Grandpa? Can't you stay until Mom and Dad get home?"
         "No, I need to be gone before that, I'm afraid. There is an essential appointment I have tonight. Very important. I don't want to miss it. You could say it's a matter of life or death. Anyway, give me big hugs before I go."
         The boys lined up and gave their Grandpa big, loving hugs before he left. He ensured Michael locked the door and turned the lights off before bed.
         Two hours later, a shadowy figure was at the front door after all the lights were off. It only took thirty seconds for the front door to open without a sound and closed. A low-beam flashlight clicked on and aimed at the floor not to attract attention through the windows.
As the intruder walked down the entryway into the dining room, his flashlight came across a child's miniature Dollhouse in the middle of the dining room. Walking next to the Dollhouse, he wondered why it is in a house of male children.
It is there because I am protecting what is mine to watch, a voice from everywhere boomed. Before the intruder could move, the six hundred-pound Chandelier crashed into him, leaving him barely alive for the remainder of the evening, dying right before being found.
         The parents arrived at 4:30 a.m. after her father died and found the front door unlocked. Racing down the hall, they find the would-be killer's body.
          "Oh my God, who is this, and what happened? I'll check the boys, and you call the police."
          After the boys are found to be safe, and the police are called, a story unfolds that is too shocking to believe.
          "Sweethearts, Grandpa couldn't have been here tonight. He passed away. He went to be with Grandma in Heaven."
          Crying, Jimmy said, "No, he was here. He told us Halloween stories about a music box, a ghoul, and a house spirit."
          "The mom suddenly looks at her husband and says, "Those are the stories Dad used to tell us on Halloween."
          The police officer was the last to leave. He pulled the parents aside and stated, "The individual killed tonight is the suspect in four other break-in deaths from previous Halloweens from previous years. Whatever caused the loose fitting saved your sons' lives. We will have more officers here tomorrow for questioning and photos. Good evening."
          "I think Dad was here and saved their lives tonight. I think he is still here protecting us."
          A soft whisper, barely audible, I am.


Word Count: 1,679


         
         9

         
         

© Copyright 2023 J.R. PETE (jtpete86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305592-Grandpa