*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305657-The-Pitcher
by Paul
Rated: E · Fiction · Activity · #2305657
Not everyone was happy.


256 words


“What are you doing, Doug? The game starts in an hour and you don’t look ready.”

“I’m not going.”

“What’re you talking about, I don’t believe you, you have to go, you’re our catcher and team captain! Without you there is no game.”

“I hate that new pitcher we have, Pete, he thinks he’s a god and is never wrong.”

“He’s a real butthead.”

“He throws all these trick balls that are supposed to be fast balls or sliders or some other hot pitch and has no idea how to do it. Most of his pitches are way outside and he blames me if I can’t catch them. I’m getting tired of running after his crappy pitches, Stan.”

“He’s new in the neighborhood and we need a runner like him on our team. We could try him in another position.”

“He is fast and his home steals were game savers a couple times.”

“Yeah, that 4th street gang couldn’t believe it the third time. They couldn’t decide who to beat up and just wound-up cursing Pete. I was impressed with his reply, he had them on the ropes with all the words.”

“So which position would be best?”

“Outfield, he loves the long throws and hits the target, another glove.”

“Think he’ll agree?”

“Yeah, despite his being such a pain as a pitcher, I don’t think he likes it.”

“Okay, you coming now? You’ll have to tell him, you are the captain.”

“Yeah, I know. Okay, where’s my glove, oh there, got it, let’s go.”


© Copyright 2023 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305657-The-Pitcher