*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305674-Snowflake
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #2305674
A Veterinarian receives a special gift from a special cat.

“Snowflake”
by
W. P. Gerace

Roy Hopkins had been a veterinarian in Groves County, Arizona, for nearly forty years. Through the years, he had treated all kinds of animals. Roy had seen everything from wounded deer to parakeets that could speak different languages. Retirement was only a few months away, and though he would miss it, he had a rewarding career treating the county’s animals and keeping them safe. His dog Patsy came to work daily with him, a miniature white poodle with fluffy hair and shiny dark eyes. Though she was nearly eighteen, good old Patsy was as perky and alert as any puppy or kitten.

Today was supposed to be a quiet day for Roy as most of his patients had been notified of his retirement and were beginning to take their pets to his son Charles, who had his practice in Phoenix just a few miles away. Though it was a late day in July, the temperatures outside were quite cool for this time of year. His office window looked out into a big park owned by the county across the street. The trees swayed about as a gusty wind blew in from the west. He could hear the birds chirping about as if they were communicating with one another about the weather. Smiling, Roy poured himself a hot coffee from his Keurig with Patsy lying along the cool linoleum floor. Barking incessantly, wagging her short tail, responding to the sweet melodies of the songbirds, Roy was amazed at how the animal kingdom seemed to understand each other. So much about God’s unique creations, we genuinely don’t understand, Roy thought to himself.

The front door jingled from the other end of the room. A small silver bell shaped like a Golden Retriever clung to the top of the door’s entrance, clanking back and forth as his best friend from high school, Andy Hooper, entered. Andy only lived a few miles up the road and came in when one of his dogs or horses was sick. This time, though, Andy had one of those portable vinyl cat carriers in his hands. Strange Roy thought Any had no cats that he knew of.

The feline in this crate was giant, too. It had glowing blue eyes and puffy white fur resembling an oversized powder puff. Its claws were the color purple, and they glowed on their own. Roy had seen some exciting animals before, but this one here was an unusual pet, to say the very least. Though technically, he was closed for business outside of finalizing his books and getting files to Charles, his curiosity poked at him, challenging him to pursue this exciting feline.

“Andy, what do we have here? This cat is interesting. It’s glowing. I see even its white fur is glowing. Or is it me?” Roy asked his long-time friend.

“Roy, indeed, it is glowing. I was out putting up my stand for the day, and a woman named Alice dressed in a strange outfit came up and told me she could no longer care for this cat. She knew I would know what to do with the animal. She said her name is Snowflake. She also said she has extraordinary powers and can’t grant any wish you desire. “ Roy winked.

“Oh, I see. Fascinating indeed. Let’s bring good old Snowflake up here. “ Roy pointed to the black leather exam table.

“Alrighty. “

Unzipping the carrier, Snowflake stepped out gracefully. It was the most giant cat Roy had seen in his entire career. It was almost as tall as the carrier and quite muscular. In many respects, Roy thought they had a mini tiger on their hands, but it was pretty too small to be a tiger but too big for a cat. Dancing along the surface of the exam table, the feline’s claws were radiating. It was like looking through the bulbs of one of those LED lights.

Snowflake reached out to shake Roy’s hand. An electrical pulse went through his arm when he touched its paw. He could hear Snowflake talking and reading his thoughts. You will miss this place, Roy, but you cared for my friends for years. I have come far to grant you one wish—anything you want. Don’t say it out loud. Just communicate here, please, friend.

I want to bring Mary back. I miss her so much. It’s been five years. Roy opened up his heart and soul to the animal. It had a soothing presence, one that was almost therapeutic to him. Closing his eyes, he could feel complete serenity bathing him.

Consider it done. When you open your eyes, you will be home, and Mary will be at your side. Count after me, friend. One. Two. Three. Snowflake’s soft voice played back, putting Roy into a deep trance.

“Roy Hopkins, you talking to yourself? Boy, we can’t have you going crazy on me. “Mary stood in their family room wearing one of her white tee shirts and jeans.

“Mary, it’s you. It’s really you. “ Roy grabbed his wife’s face as smooth and soft as tissue paper.

“Yes, silly. Come on now. I made your favorite homemade meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy, and biscuits. “

Going into the kitchen, there was a whole spread displayed: Mary’s buttered biscuits, brown gravy, mashed potatoes, and her homemade meatloaf. There was Mary in the flesh. On the floor next to Roy was Snowflake, their teal eyes beaming. Smiling, Roy was grateful he could finally be at peace and enjoy his life with his sweetheart.
© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2305674-Snowflake