*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306102-The-Unforged-Blade-A-Swordsmans-Fate
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2306102
Pilgrim Tachibana & Takeshi's journey takes a fateful turn. What lies ahead for them?
Chapter 01: The Journey Begins


"Grandpa, how long till we get there?"

"Just a couple of paces more and we'll get there."

"You have been saying that for the last 2 hours old man."

"What did ya say you brat? Good god, kids these days."

The old man and the youngster were walking through a pass in the mountains. They were walking for the past couple of hours in search of the Tree of the Ancient Emperor, where a trial was being held for taking in students for the esteemed Ancient Emperor Style of Swordsmanship.

Tachibana, the old man wanted his grandson to join the academy to learn and become a swordsman and moreover pass him onto Tetsuro Kanroji, his long-time friend and former student, before he passes away.

Takeshi, was a youth who was neither interested in Swordsmanship nor has any goals in his life, but was always curious about who exactly his grandfather was, what he did before Takeshi was born and even more about the sword he carried with him always.

Tachibana would always say, "My boy, you must learn the Ancient Emperor Style Swordsmanship, inherit this sword and surpass the current Sword Emperor, even if it means surpassing the style all together, I see this in you, some day, you'll understand what I'm referring to, this sword, it has a liking towards you, just like it has towards me. Your father didn't live long enough to use it well, but I'm sure, you will."

Hearing this 24x7 was indeed annoying for Takeshi, but at the same time he was very much curious, yet he never showed it. He acted like he only wanted to accompany his grandfather to places.

"I've heard that there are bandits in this mountain area."

"Ahh, well it won't matter, we're almost there, I don't think they would attack anyone when they're so near the Tree of the Ancient Emperor.

"Listen Takeshi."

"Yeah?"

"Remember, You have to master the Ancient Emperor Style Swordsman-"

"Yeah, Yeah I know, I have to master it, inherit the sword, surpass the current Sword Emperor and maybe create my own style if I'm good enough right?"

"Ahh yes, although i didn't mention the creating your own style.

First learn the basics you brat

Listen to this fledgling talking about creating his own style

Humph."

The clouds were darkening, almost as if there is gonna be huge downpour any moment. Travellers and Caravans could be seen rushing towards some place to take shelter on the side of the ragged mountains.

They all seemed very small to Takeshi in the distance.

There was always imminent danger, it could be in the form of beasts, Bandits or even Ronins. But he always felt safe because of his grandfather. He doesn't know what he's able to do since he has never seen him action, but the words his parents told him during the Great Raid of Yamaguchi Prefecture, "Takeshi-chan, no matter what happens, never leave your grandfather's side, he may look weak because of his old age, but he's much stronger than your father and he will take care of you. Don't worry about us and go to him. Me and your father will join you after clearing this mess."

Those were also the last words the 11 year old boy heard from his mother. After which he heard that she died in the fire which engulfed the village as a result of the attack and his father died protecting the rest of the villagers.

When the boy rushed over to the next village, what he saw was his grandfather standing in the midst of a fire, dead bodies all around the nearby region. Terrified, he could only utter the words "Grandpa". He wanted to tell him about his parents but he couldn't, Tachibana saw him, came closer to him and picked him up, and rushed to the other side. All the things he saw and the heat of the flames made him pass out, all the while holding on to his grandfathers clothes tightly. Next thing he knew when he woke up was him sitting on top of horse with his grandfather behind him. The rest was history, growing up under his grandfather's care while traveling from place to place, with his concerns never being more than what they're having for lunch or which place they're heading to next or which mountain they're climbing up the next day.




"Grandpa, i can see the town from here."

"Oh good, we're getting closer."

As they advance towards the town, they come across a forest, which seems like the last hurdle they have to pass.

"Keep an eye out for the beasts and blood wasps Takeshi."

"Yeah I'm on it."

It was awfully quiet, the sounds that could be heard were the occasional sounds of thunder.

Leaves rustling, and soft footsteps can be heard suddenly.

"Grandpa"

"Yeah, I got it"

"Come out you monkey's, why are you hiding behind trees and making sound in you are preparing for an ambush.

Hah, amateurs these days."

"Hahahah, well said old man.

My men are just so incompetent. Can't even take down an old man and kid and can't even prepare well for an ambush, quite the useless bunch I have."

Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, Takeshi finds himself surrounded by bandits.

"What do bandits want from us? We don't have any money or expensive items with us. All we have is the leftover onigiri and a couple of berries. Not to mention we're pilgrims headed for the Tree of the Ancient Emperor."

"Ahh ye fool."

"Huh? Wha-?"

"Hahaha, seems your grandson is dumb unlike you, old man Tachibana."

"Well, this fledgling does have a lot to learn, but you are one to talk, don't you think you're even Dumber when u have only gathered 10 people to confront me when you know well who i am?"

"Well you do have a point there, but I think just me will do fine against you."

"Aren't ye a lot of talk for a fledgling."

*Well let's see about that shall we"

Tachibana got into his stance, ready to draw his "Mizuko"

"Old man, you're probably thinking that since you possess one of the four legendary katana, you can still win, you should know that you are well past your sword Emperor days."

"S-Sword Emperor?"

"Heh, so what, this old geezer's body is still enough to take on the likes of brats like you."

The Bandit leader unsheathes his sword and throws the sheath away, and makes his stance.

"K-Kageki?, that couldn't possibly be, it should be on it's way to the Ming Empire."

"Hahaha, did you think that 15 year old could handle this sword, he needs to grow a pair before he can even lay his hands on this."

"Well it matters not, it's not like you could use it properly. It took Hisakawa almost 10 years to master it, and there exists no one who can wield it like he did."

"You have been away from the world for ages as a pilgrim, so you don't know, but a prodigy does exist, who can wield it well and who's hands shall you meet your end today."

"Hahahah, end you say"

As soon as Tachibana said this, it was as if the time froze, tachibana could see the rain drop right in front of his eyes, and right behind it, the tip of the sword held by a young man in a bandits outfit, with half of his face from his nose to chin covered. Tachibana filled with the zeal he had during his younger years, felt as if he was facing Iwao again. A tear drop rolled down from his eyes after seeing the young man in front of him having the same aura as his old friend.

'Clang' As Takeshi, who closed his eyes right before the Bandit leader ended his words, opened his eyes, he remembered clearly what he saw back when he was a kid. 6 of the bandits were down with cuts on their bodies, while a young man who he hadn't noticed earlier was on the ground, although he didn't have any marks on him.

The young bandit quickly got up on his feet, and charged towards Tachibana, and a flurry of exchanges ensued. Tachibana and his sword Mizuko were dazzling, as he moved across the field clashing swords with man who wielded the Kageki. The young man who always seemed on the defensive, couldn't even get an inch towards Tachibana, and was seemingly trying to block all of his attacks and was desperately trying to find an opening. Pushed back, he concentrated for a few seconds and released one of the abilities of the legendary sword, the shadow strike, Tachibana who has fought against this sword for far too long, deflected it as if he was swatting a bug. The Kageki user continued to release the swords abilities one by one which were of no avail.

"His stance, posture and aura control, all are beyond human, as expected of Tachibana the Tireless, he truly lives upto his name despite his age." thought the Leader to himself.

"Hmm, not bad, but now it's my turn."

Tachibana moved his right leg backward, focusing solely on him positioning his sword as if he were removing it from his sheath and for a few seconds, it seemed like he didn't even move but the sword alone did. The aftermath was 2 of the remaining bandits stuck on the trees with wounds on their chest and the leader being struck on his shoulder with his blade broken, while the Kageki user was barely standing.

Kageki user coughs "Heh, i didn't think I'd be able to stand after facing you, see it still is an achievement for me. It definitely was dumb of the leader to think that I'll defeat you in a One-on-One."

'Arrgh' "Which is why, i had this plan set in motion"

Soon after the leader says this, Tachibana falls down, with three bolts shot on his back.

"Grandpa" Takeshi runs to him as he's falling down, the crossbow user flashes down to the ground in front of the leader.

"Well, you weren't able to defeat him, but atleast you were able to get him into a position where he was staying still."

"Yeah you can say that, you had the easiest of them all, I lost 8 of my men, almost had his kid dying."

"Well we got what we wanted, that's 3/13 in our possession."

Takeshi, gritting his Teeth "Damn you, Damn You all, You bastards first took my parents away from me, now my Grandfather, All for this? Is this sword the reason why you guys came after us?"

"Hehehe, sorry kiddo, you really had it tough eh, well we asked your grandfather to politely hand over his sword, he denied it and moreover humiliated our lord. We burned down his entire prefecture, his own son and daughter in law, still wouldn't hand it over, what choice did we have?"

Takeshi consumed by rage, picked up Mizuko, and had a tremendous aura emanating from him. This was rather strange, as no one who comes to possess a legendary sword is able to wield it properly, let alone awaken it's aura, maybe it's the sword reacting to Takeshi.

What ensued after this, still remains a mystery to everyone who was the light in the forest that night as well as everyone who came across the forest the next day, there were scattered bones everywhere in that region, and big cavity on the ground.

...

Takeshi found himself near the side of a big cavity, with his grandfathers body by his side. The bandits were nowhere to be seen, only the Kageki was remaining there, on the ground.

Takeshi Carried his grandfather's body and the two swords and made it to the Tree of the Ancient Emperor. Kanroji, who knew that light was a familiar sight, was waiting, although he was shocked to see his dear friend, dead and on the shoulders of his grandson. He immediately made arrangements for the body to be cremated in the most respectable manner and asked his grandson to join the Academy. Takeshi refused, "I want to be taken in after I complete the trial, I want to do it and get in here, just the way he intended." Kanroji respected his wishes and allowed him to do so. Takeshi handed over both swords to Kanroji and asked him to give his grandfather's sword to him only when Kanroji-Sensei deemed he was fit enough to wield it.






This is the story of Takeshi, a young man who has lost everyone precious to him, and now vows to walk the path of the sword, following his grandfather and father's footsteps. All he has left to call his own, is Mizuko, the Moonlight sword his grandfather wanted him to inherit. What is the path, that lies ahead, waiting for Takeshi, what will he choose, and what will be the end result. Various forces in the shadows, lie hidden, eyeing him and his sword. His destiny is yet to unfold.
© Copyright 2023 ZEROkun1015 (zerokun1015 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306102-The-Unforged-Blade-A-Swordsmans-Fate