*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306181-Those-Were-The-Days
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Naomi
Rated: E · Documentary · Music · #2306181
I miss my brother Jerey in Heaven. He always requested me to sing this song at Chief Mau
Those Were The Days

This song was made famous by Mary Hopkins in the year 1968. I memorized the lyrics as I wrote it when she sang it over the radio when I was a teen -ager.
I was 15 years old and in third year High School when our school decided to have a field trip at the Radio Station in the across island of Negros Oriental, Guihulngan town in particular. The radio station was DYWC meaning Visayas Word of Christ. Our school , a Catholic School made arrangement earlier with the Radio Station management that our whole class will hold our excursion there or a field trip. It was scheduled on a Saturday morning at 9 AM.

We need to take a big boat at the nearby town to cross the island. The weather was nice so we enjoyed the trip.

Mama gave me a BAON or lunch box consist of boiled corn grits, fish inun unan or fish stew, 4 pcs palotpot or flat small dried fish fried and slices of tomatoes. A small container of water with a handle for a drink. She also placed 5 pcs. Ripe yellow bananas and telling me share the bananas to whoever I love to share.

On Friday, the teacher told me to sing at the Radio station. She asked me what song I will sing for tomorrow, and I told her " Those Were The Days ".
Can the whole class listen to it now ?" she asked.
"Yes ! Maam ! " I replied and asked her " Do I need to bring my guitar Maam ".
"No Need.. It was already arranged that the announcer will be the guitarist. He volunteered."
For me, it was very much okay as I never wanted to bring my guitar traveling by the sea.

So, I sang at the classroom.
My classmates Benedict said in a loud voice , after I sang.
"Tell your family and your neighbors to tune in to DYWC the whole morning tomorrow. I love them to hear Our Dearest Classmate Singing over the Radio. First time to happen in our school."
Everyone agreed and the news spread the whole town quickly.

My three younger brothers were very excited too. They ate breakfast early, did their household chores early so they will not be disturbed when they listened to me Singing over the Radio.
There was no television at our village at that time but every household had a Radio as they listened to the News, Drama and Music.
My three brothers especially the middle one told all our relatives that I will be singing and to tune in their radio at that time. But, all of our relatives came to our house and told Papa and Mama to bring the Radio at our Front Yard as they will sit on the grass to listen my singing.
There were Jackfruits and pomelo as well as many fruit and flower plants at our front yard so it was a very cool place to gather.
Some were bringing boiled peanuts and some finger food to share. Papa and Mama told me later that as if we were celebrating a Fiesta because the Front Yard was full of people where everyone is a relative.

The announcer had a scheduled Dedication Program where he reads the letters from the senders requesting to play a song and such song was dedicated to particular names that the announcer reads before he played the requested song.

When we arrived , we were ushered to a conference room where there were plenty of chairs and a long table that we were aloud to use to eat our lunch. The Station Manager brought us to the Drama Room where the Drama Actors and Actresses had the tapings.
He also showed us the News Room were personnel were busy with their reports.
Then, he brought us to the Announcer's Booth.

He told us :
" Only Naomi and her teacher are aloud inside. All of You stay at the Conference Room where the Pipe In Music was installed and You all can hear Naomi being interviewed by the Announcer and then for her to sing.

All my classmates went back to the conference room.

As we got inside the room, the Announcer smiled. He was a very tall guy with a mustache. As he asked about my parents we find out that my mother is his distant cousin and they both have the same family name, Vergara...Small world !
He got his guitar, strummed it then announced :
"Ladies and gentlemen this song is a special request from the people of Moalboal and to sing this song is very young song bird from that place. She is too tall for her age and wears a beautiful smile. Let us all listen to NAOMI.
I sang the song with all my heart and soul.
The Station Manager Congratulated me and the Teacher. He said : " You may work with this Station anytime you like. Your voice in the interview was very nice. And you can sing beautifully. If you wish to study College here, I can offer you a Scholarship .
He was very nice to me and my teacher. It was an unfogettable day for me.

Back home, as Papa and Mama told me later that the front yard was very quiet as the Radio was in full volume listening to me being interviewed and singing.
After my song, they all clapped their hand and yelled "Naomi in the radio Station."
My brothers were so excited looking at those happy faces hearing me singing the song
"Those Were The Days "
The part of the song with the lyrics Lalalalalalalalala I intentionally changed it to;
Ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray
As my very own identity.
And everyone was singing ray ray ray ray as they dispersed from the front yard.

The following Monday , my classmates told me that their families listened to me on the radio and asked them for my schedule on the. Church Choir as they all wanted to see me . The students as they saw me sang Ray Ray Ray ray ray ray.
It was fun.
High School Sweet Memories

Time passes by so quickly. We , meaning my brothers and sisters have a family of our own. In the 80's my younger brother Jerey built " Chief Mau Station " at our Village . A restaurant. A hotel, A Bar. It derived from the name of our Papa Mauro as the Chief of the Village where everyone love and respect.
At the opening night. my brother Jerey invited a. Live Band. In the middle of the show my brother announced
" My dearest sister Naomi sings my favorite song for all of us." I sang as requested.Every special occasion my brother Jerey always requested me to sing this song.
Sad to note that he died or gone too soon in the year 2000. Due to cardiac arrest. ChiefMau is still doing good business being managed by his children.
Last night , I dreamed of Jerey. We were both singing Ray Ray Ray Ray Ray Ray.
When I woke up , I whispered " I write it for You Jer. I know you miss me, I miss you more than words can say."

So here I am.
I am writing the Song Lyrics for You Jer. Be Happy in Paradise.

Those Were The Days
By : Mary Hopkins
I changed the word tavern to
CHIEFMAU


Once upon a time there was a Chief Mau
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
We'd smile at one another and we'd say :

Refrain :
Those were the days my friend
We thought that never end
We'd sing and danced forevet and the day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our ways.
Ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I see you at the
ChiefMau
We'd smile at one another and we'd say.

Sing the Refrain...

Just tonight I stood in front of
Chief Mau
It is still the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lovely woman really me ?

Sing Refrain...

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh..my brother, we're oldet but are wiser
But in our hearts our dreams are still the same.

Sing the Refrain..

Yes...Jerey this is for you and my tears are falling now with out control.
Rest in Peace Jer.
Kiss to Papa and to Nerisse..
Missing You..
I love You.

Ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray ray !






















© Copyright 2023 Naomi (akomagsusulat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306181-Those-Were-The-Days