*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306580-Dark-Shadows
by D.B.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Entertainment · #2306580
31 Days of Halloween day 15
Dark Shadows was an american soap opera that ran from 1966-1971. It featured the story of vampire Barnabus Collins, who lived his vampire life in the fictional town of Collinwood. It was a unique show that was a soap opera but with the trials and tribulations of being a vampire. Several years ago it was a movie which starred Johnny Depp. I personally have not seen the movie but have seen some of the TV show here and there. I might have watched it back in the day but being so young then I can't recall. I have heard some of the music from it and it seems retro and cheesy and maybe a little spooky but surprisingly good. I like The Barnabus Theme and I especially like the disco-ey version by The First Theremin Era.

Dark Shadows was part of an era that featured shows like The Adams Family and the Muensters, shows that featured scary characters but ironically due to the comedy element, were not scary at all. Dark Shadows was decidedly serious and therefore that set it apart. Not to mention it was a soap opera with a vampire for a main character, something that was indeed different. You have to admire the creativity that TV programs had back then. Although some of them were similar, they seemed somehow more vibrant and genuine. There is very much a nostalgic element to Dark Shadows. In fact, one of the child actors on the show was Denise Nickerson, who played Violet in the Willy Wonka movie with Gene Wilder.

It is one of those shows that is remembered many years after it ended because of its creepy, melancholy bittersweet quality. And it will probably still be remembered for years to come.
© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306580-Dark-Shadows