*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306852-High-Stakes-Indeed---WC-230
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2306852
A group of friends hide in a cave overnight.
High Stakes
WC 230


Shivering in the November night, Edward, the designated lookout, squatted outside the cave opening. He was tired but he had chosen the short straw, so he had to spend the night guarding the others.

His instructions: Guard this cave with your life. We cannot let them see us. We cannot let them find us.

As gray light replaced the blackness, the ghostly shapes of trees and rocks began to loom out of the mist. Edward moved into the warmth of the cave.

The others were out cold in their sleeping bags. His bag sat rolled up next to the gear.

“Okay, people,” Edward said, just above a whisper, “It's daylight. Let’s get moving.”

Thomas sat up and rubbed his eyes. “It’s morning. We did it!”

“I didn’t see a soul.”

Thomas yelled. “Come on, everyone, get up!”

“Keep your voice down. We don't know where they are!”

Thomas looked at his watch. “Well, Edward, we're past the deadline. We won.”

Cheers went up from the five other participants as they danced around on the packed dirt. The group crawled out into the light.

“What's the prize again? someone yelled from the assembled.

“We get to live another day,” Edward said.

“We don’t die,” Thomas added.

The game of Hide and Seek in the year 2087 had high stakes indeed.
© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306852-High-Stakes-Indeed---WC-230