*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306876-Millions-Now-Living-Will-Never-Die
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Inspirational · #2306876
A study of Jesus' promise in John chapter 11
Billions of people are familiar with the gospel account of Jesus famously bringing Lazarus back to life. However, few people are actually aware of the enourmous significance of that account for mankind, and the future.

Why did Jesus bring Lazarus back to life, and where had Lazarus been while he was dead? And what did Jesus say about all those who had died, and would die in the future? You may be very surprised at the answers, and it may challenge what you have been taught before.

The gospel account in John tells us that Jesus took two days to travel to Lazarus' home, but that Lazarus died that same day, so Jesus would not arrive in time to save him. When Jesus arrived at the burial place of Lazarus, Mary and Martha greeted him. Although distraught with sadness over their brother's death, Martha approached Jesus and expressed faith in him, that he could have resurrected (brought back to life), her brother, if he had been there. When Jesus promised her that “Your brother will rise”, Martha responded by saying that she had faith in the physical ressurrection of the dead, in the future, when God's kingdom comes - “On the last day.” Jesus then re-assured her that “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life.” Jesus was the resurrection – he had the power and authority to bring the dead back to life, as he was about to do with Martha's brother. But, then Jesus went on to say something even more remarkable – words which have confused many sincere believers throughout the centuries, and even today. In verse 26 Jesus says - “And whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” What did Jesus mean by this strange statement?

Was Jesus saying that, simply believing in him could prevent people from dying? Obviously, the answer to that must be – No, simply because all humans since then, including Lazarus, Martha, and the Apostles have all died, and today we all know that we will die some day.

Was Jesus speaking about spiritual death? Again the context says no because Jesus and Martha were discussing physical death and resurrection. Besides, even if somone became a believer, they could still fall away again, and die – spiritually, as Paul explained in his letters.

At this point, we must ask the important question – Where had Lazarus gone when he had died? Did he go to heaven? - No. Jesus later explained that “No man has ascended to heaven.” Later, the postle Peter confirmed Jesus' words, revealing that “King David did not ascend to the heavens” (Acts 2.34). Lazarus, as a friend of Jesus, would certainly not have gone to Hell. So, where was he, when he was dead? Contrary to tradition, and church teachings, humans do not have an immortal soul that survives death. The Bible tells us that we are “souls”, we do not have souls, and that the soul dies when the human body dies (please see Genesis 2.7, and Ezekiel 18.4). Furthermore, the Bible says that “The dead are conscious of nothing at all” (Ecclesiastes 9.5). So when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, where did he bring him back from? From the earth – the soil, the dust. “Dust you are, and to dust you will return” (Genesis 3.19).

So, why did Jesus promise that, whoever believes in him will never die? The answer lies in the words Martha used when she spoke of the resurrection of the dead. Martha expressed faith in the resurrection, but she recognised that it was a future event - “On the last day.” From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible teaches that God never intended humans to die. In fact, God warned Adam that he would die, only if he ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge. But, what would have happened if Adam had stayed loyal to God, and not eaten from the tree? He would still be living today. Since Adam's death, “God permitted the nations to go on in their own ways.” However, there would come a conclusion to mankinds systems – after the “Great tribulation” that would engulf the earth, in what the Bible calls “The last days” (see 2 Timothy 3.1-5, and Matthew 24.14 onward). The specific “Last day” that Martha spoke of, is the day when God judges all people, when His kingdom comes. Many amazing things wll happen on that unprecedented day in history. God will separate evil people from good people, and he will remove selfish, violent ones from the earth, permanently. He will also “Bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

And, just as Martha and Jesus said – faithful ones who have died will be resurrected – brought back to life. Jesus promises - “All those in the memorial tombs will come out” (John 5.28). “Your dead ones will live” (Isaiah 26.19). Yes, even those who have died, including Lazarus, King David, and all the faithful prophets, will come back to life.

But there is another group of people who will receive an even greater reward than that. At that time, peace-loving people who are living, and who survive the tribulation, will be made perfect, being cured of all illnesses and disabilities, and – amazingly - they will never have to die – just as Jesus promised - “Whoever lives by believing in me will never die.“ How is this is possible? – because “God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten son, so that everyone putting faith in him might not be destroyed, but have everlasting life” (John 3.16).

And the final promise is beautiful;

“God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning, nor outcry, nor pain.” (Revelation 21.4).

So – you, dear reader may never have to die.
© Copyright 2023 Moomintroll (hemmullenn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2306876-Millions-Now-Living-Will-Never-Die