*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307031-Bow-Tie
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #2307031
A forgotten fashion accessory (Winner, Cramp)
Mommy Chimpanzee woke little Charlie up early that day. It was the first day of Jungle Kindergarten, and she wanted to make sure he was there in good time.

Charlie wasn't sure what he felt about going to Kindergarten. He liked the sound of playtime, but he wondered if he would get along with the classmate he had to sit next to, and if he would find the lessons boring.

Mommy Chimp gave him his breakfast, and, as a special treat, allowed him to climb and get some pears hanging on a tree branch. Then they began the walk through the Forest Path #1, to the Kindergarten.

They met Ekta Elephant and her mother, on their way to Kindergarten, too. Ekta was wearing a pink and yellow ribbon around her trunk and it looked very pretty. Charlie wished he had put on a bow tie, but he'd been too interested in the pears to think of it.

Charlie, Ekta and the two mothers walked down Forest Path #1, till they took a right turn at Jungle Way #2. There, they found Tarun Tiger and his father, setting out for Kindergarten. Tarun Tiger was wearing a red and blue collar and looked very smart. Once again, Charlie Chimpanzee wished he had thought of his bow tie.

Charlie Chimp, Ekta Elephant, Tarun Tiger, two mothers and a father walked down Jungle Way #2, till they came to the small stream. Olivia Otter and her mother were just starting out for Kindergarten. So four young students and four parents joined up and walked together. Olivia Otter was wearing an orange and brown headband, and Charlie Chimp wished he had remembered his bow tie.

They got to Kindergarten. Their teacher, Helga Hippo, was already waiting for them. She greeted her new students and their parents. Everyone greeted her back, excitedly, except Charlie Chimpanzee.

"Why, Charlie, what's the matter?" Helga Hippo asked.

Charlie hung his head and muttered something. His new teacher leaned forward to try to hear him. Nobody else heard. Mommy Chimpanzee was looking anxious. What had her son said?

"Aha," Helga Hippo exclaimed, when Charlie finished muttering. "Well, I can give you one."

Charlie looked up hopefully His new teacher went to her desk and rummaged there. She finally brought out a big bowl.

Everyone looked at it, puzzled. Charlie was the most puzzled. "What is that, teacher?" he asked.

"You said you had forgotten your bowl," the teacher replied. "So here's one."

Charlie's expression changed. He had been looking sad, now he suddenly smiled. This was a joke! He wanted a bow tie to wear around his neck, and he imagined trying to put this bowl around his neck instead. Charlie grinned. He giggled. Then he burst into laughter.

Everyone else joined in. The other students and parents who came in heard the laughter and joined in, too, though they didn't know why everyone was laughing.

Leonard Lion, who had entered with his cub Leslie, caught sight of the bowl. "Oh, good," he roared. "Leslie has some marshmallows to share with everyone, but forgot to bring something to share them in. That bowl will do just fine."

So all the students, their parents and their new teacher feasted on marshmallows and celebrated the opening of Jungle Kindergarten.
© Copyright 2023 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307031-Bow-Tie