*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307144-The-Zoroarks-Mate-Chpt-3-Arrival
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KCG
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2307144
After a long trek, the Havar family reaches the village.
         It has been about forty-five minutes since Havar and his family started the trek through the forest. There wasn’t much talking due to the fear of attracting unwanted attention. All was quiet as the four kept pace, but Nakito had his mind elsewhere.

         One Hour Earlier

         “Before I answer any questions I want to know something.” Nakito says putting the cigarette out. “Can you shift? I’m aware that you prefer the human guise, but the locals might get ideas if you arrive as you are.” He says watching Caleb’s expression.

         Caleb gave a sigh as instead of telling Nakito yes bluntly, he opted to show him instead. Nakito barely had time to gawk as Caleb seamlessly changed forms. Caleb looked almost like his father in terms of body mass, and his eyes and face seemed calmer and softer much like his mother. His mane was a decent shade of red as Nakito took note of how even his clothes seemed to conform to his new body.

         Caleb cleared his throat as his voice adjusted to the sudden change. “Is this what you were expecting?” Caleb asked rubbing his shoulder. It took Nakito a few moments to gather his mind and thoughts after witnessing such a quick metamorphosis.

         “Y-yes and no. I was expecting you to be able to shift just not so-“ Nakito says trying to find the right words.

         “Comfortably? It has been some time since I’ve used this body, but as it seems that I will have to stay like this it’ll be best if I get use to this body again.” Caleb says stretching out the tense muscles that refused to relax after his change. Nakito could see so much of Havar and May in him. His body’s physique was that reminiscent of Havar’s in his youth and his facial features closely resembled his mother’s calm and observant demeanor.

         “”So about you answering my questions now. What am I to expect when we arrive?” Caleb asked as Nakito gathered his thoughts.

         ”Well for the most part most of the locals don’t know of your mixed heritage, and as such will treat you as kin. The elders of our village know however, and will test you when we arrive.” Nakito replies, but before he could continue, Havar and May had returned.

         Present

         Nakito knew not to worry about the young man, however he couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. Just as they made it to the gates there seemed to be a large crowd gathered at the entrance. It seemed that word had gotten out that Havar was returning and everyone was eager to meet the Guardian. As the group got closer so did the excitement of the crowd as they murmured and cheered amongst themselves.

         Havar felt a wave of nostalgia wash over him seeing his birthplace. Many fond memories of youthful endeavors brought a smile to his visage, but there were more important matters at hand. The five elders were waiting at the forefront of the masses. No doubt they have come to see Caleb and ascertain his worth. Upon reaching everyone, the village rejoiced in the return of their Guardian as well as his mate. What most of them didn’t notice was the fourth who kept his distance.

         It wasn’t until Elder Irodine approached and spoke to Havar. “It’s good to see you two in good health. Welcome back Havar.” She said giving him a genuine smile. “And May, it’s good to see that you’ve taken to our blood well. That’s good to know.” As May gave a slight bow.

         “It’s good to see you as well Lady Irodine. It puts me at ease to see you still in good health and spirits as well.” May replied. Irodine caught a quick glimpse of another a few feet away and took notice.

         “Young one. There’s no need to be a stranger amongst your kinfolk.” Irodine replied as Havar glanced over to his son. Caleb kept quiet, not wanting to reveal anything to the elders or the locals. In turn he played ignorant in hopes of dispelling any curiosity in his presence.

         Unbeknownst to the rest of the village however; it looked as if Lady Irodine was speaking to the shadows. None of them could see a fourth with the Guardian’s group. This confusion almost went unnoticed if it wasn’t for Elder Ostrair who approached Irodine.

         ”Irodine, I do believe that the young one is masking his presence. The others besides you, myself and the other elders are able to see him.” Ostrair whispered as Irodine’s gaze broke from Caleb. This caught her attention immediately as a Zoroarkian who can mask their very presence from only training and practice was a rarity. This meant that the child of Havar and May was one of many surprises and hoped to see more of what skills he had developed on his own.

         The other three elders welcomed in Havar, May, Nakito and the fourth individual. The rest of the village locals made way for the group to make their way to the meeting hall. Irodine dispersed the crowd as they entered the hall. As they entered, Irodine looked to Havar “Tell your son he can release his illusion now. We are away from prying eyes.” She says looking towards Caleb. Havar calmly gave his son a affirmation to reveal himself.

         Caleb released his concentration on masking his presence and found that they were before the elders of the pack. Caleb stood alone in the center of the hall as the five elders and his parents stood in a semi circle around him. “Welcome son of Havar, we understand your immense distrust for us, but please hear us out.” Irodine started “We called you and your family back for in preparation for Lady Kyota’s daughter. We’ve been informed about your incident and believed it imperative to your safety that your family returned.” She finished looking to her peers. Ostrair and the three others gave a nod as Irodine approached Caleb.

         Caleb kept calm as the elder Zoroark approached and stopped a few feet from him. She looked him over and outstretched her paw to him. Irodine could sense his body tense up as she calmly held her hand out to him. “Easy young one, all I am doing is just reading your shadow presence.” She reassured Caleb. Without glancing to his father he knew to trust the elder and so he kept still as she pressed her paw against his chest.

         Irodine could sense that this young one harbored great potential. She could sense his spirit was at peace with both his human and Zoroarkian soul. Such acceptance hasn’t been seen in any acolyte since his mother. “Tell me young one do you resent us for how we treated your parents?” She asks as Caleb tried to reign in his growing anger. Havar and May could sense their son’s anger rising, but Irodine motioned for them to stay put. Irodine didn’t want his parents to intervene, she wanted to tell their son the truth.

         “My predecessor wanted to banish your parents and label them as exiles. Marking them for death by all packs.” She started watching the animosity building behind the young man’s eyes. “The previous elders saw your parents pairing as abhorrent, a taboo in the eyes and ways of of our kind. However that is no longer the case.” She said turning to Havar and May.

         ”I would like to formally apologize for my former’s actions. On my authority as grand elder you and your family are hereby absolved of any punishment my former had in place.” She finishes as she looks upon the grateful and relieved faces of his parents. “It’ll be an honor to have you back Guardian, and please don’t hesitate to come to me with any concerns or problems.” Irodine stated as she turned her attention back to their son.

         The young one seemed to see the sincerity in her actions and words, as she noticed his body relax slightly. Irodine knew that getting the young one to relax was to ensure his parents safety, and in doing so eased his mind. She again turned her gaze to him as she noticed the child calmer now, and continued her evaluation of him.

         ”It’s very rare for someone so young to have such mastery of their latent abilities. Tell me child, did you develop your craft based on necessity or sheer curiosity?” Irodine asks Caleb.

         “To be frank I developed my craft to keep myself hidden from you and your kind.” Caleb responded bluntly. “I honestly don’t care for your politics and such, so I try to keep it that way.” He adds
© Copyright 2023 KCG (kcgenesis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307144-The-Zoroarks-Mate-Chpt-3-Arrival