*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307267-The-Vampire-Princess
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2307267
This is a short story about a vampire princess who doesn´t want to be a typical vampire.
Raluca Tepes is a typical high school student. Or better to say she seems like a typical high school student. For real she is a vampire and more than two-hundred-fifty years old. But as she is still a young ager out of the vampires, she also can visit high school or couldn´t she? Her ancestor Ionut Tepes has been the younger brother of the famous count Dracula. One day the brothers have had a bad argue so Ionut and a couple of his subordinates have left Romania. Ionut Tepes has become the founder of the Japanese vampires later. Raluca is an ascendant of Ionut in direct line and so she will be the next ruler of all vampires in Japan after her father has given up the throne. As the tradition says a vampire lord must be minimum five-hundred years old before getting into power. So, there are more than two centuries left until Raluca could be the next vampire lord. And she doesn´t have a big problem with that. She isn´t willing to be the next vampire lord after all. She only wants to live like a human.

Raluca has been fascinated by humans from her earliest childhood on. The other vampires see humans as farm animals who´s only determination is to be the vampire´s food. In Raluca´s eyes this looks a little different. And the constant vilification of humans by her fellows has only increased her interest in this species. She even hates to bite humans in order to drink their blood. So, she has left home to explore the human world and to make friends with humans. Therefore, she also has decided to stop biting people and buys blood out of blood banks instead. You might ask yourself now, how could she be able to explore the human world? As a vampire sunlight would be her natural enemy. She wouldn´t be able to go out while daylight. As humans interact with each other mostly while daylight she wouldn´t be able to explore their world. But this isn´t true. Ionut Tepes has had a rare disposition. He has been a so-called sun walker who is able to go out while daylight. Raluca has inherited this ability. So, the sun light doesn´t kill her and she is able to interact with humans while daylight. But even if she can resist the sun, a too strong dose will feel painful. So, she wears a huge sun heat in summer to protect from direct sun lighting.
But she has another big problem which is hindering her. From time to time an incredibly strong urge arises from the depths of her body. It is the urge to bite humans and to drink fresh blood. When it arises, she can´t hold back herself and bites the next standing human. She hates herself for this urge but she is powerless against it. If she bites a human in public, everyone will know she is a vampire. After that nobody wants to be her friend anymore. She will be defamed as a monster and everyone is afraid of her. That is exactly the pattern that has happened so many times in the past. And every time it happens, she suddenly has to leave the area she currently lives in. These incidents have been the basis for many vampire stories all over Japan. The plot of all those stories is similar to the other ones. They are about a beautiful young girl with silver hair and red eyes. She is very kind, helps everyone, is good at school and has many friends. But one day, sharp canine teeth grow out of her mouth. With these sharp teeth she bites the carotin artery of those around her indiscriminately. Finally, the young girl shows her true self. She is a vampire and has lived unnoticed among humans until now. All the time she has been disguising her meanness and malice, waiting for the right moment to strike. However, this portrayal couldn´t be further from her real feelings and intentions. She isn´t mean, she just wants to make friends with humans. So, these stories hurt her more than the incidents themselves. But she doesn´t let it get her down and continues to try to get recognition in the human world.

At the moment, Raluca lives in Tokyo the actual capital of Japan. Tokyo is the hugest city in the country. So, it has the highest count of blood banks also. This is important for Raluca in order to buy blood without attracting attention. Although she has taken a liking to human food over the time it doesn´t fill her up. She still needs blood for satiety. She buys the blood on behalf of a foundation looking after the victims of traffic accidents.
Raluca visits a high school in the Ebisu district. She has registered as exchange student from Romania. This isn´t a lie after all. Her ancestors actually truly come from there. Since she has already attended school in many different locations, Raluca doesn´t have any problems following the lessons. She also achieves good marks in tests. She has joined the theatre group as an extracurricular activity. In this group Raluca has found many friends after a short period of time. The group is currently rehearsing for a play for Halloween. This play is about the famous count Dracula. And Raluca will have to play even that count Dracula because the group doesn´t have a male actor who is good enough to play the main role. This is kind of ironic. A vampire princess who has left home to live as a human has to play count Dracula. However, in order not to disappoint her friends, Raluca has agreed to play this role.
After a period of hard practise, the group finally performs the play in the auditorium of the school at the 31st of October. At first everything works as planned. But during the final act her urge overcomes Raluca. She is shocked about that. She desperately tries to hold it back. But she isn´t able to hold it back. Suddenly her real canine teeth arise under the glued-on props and she begins to bite every other actor on the stage. At first the audience thinks this is a part of the play. But soon it comes clear to everyone that this can´t be part of a play performed by high school students. Therefore, the scene is too brutal.
Panic spreads all over the viewers now and all over the members of the theatre group also. Because it is the final act, most of the group members are acting on the stage at the moment. So, there are many victims for Raluca to bite and drink blood from. In past times it has been enough for her to bite one or maybe two humans in order to satisfy her urge. However, this time is a little different to the other ones. The huge number of victims she bites causes kind of an intoxication to her. So, Raluca totally looses control and starts to attack the audience also. These have long since dissolved in complete panic. This panic manifests itself in a wide variety of behaviours. Some viewers try to run to the exit as fast as they can, some others take photos of the brutal scene, some have called the police and some others are frozen in shock. Of course, the frozen are the first to fall victims. And the interested onlookers are the next.
After a while, Raluca´s intoxication slowly dissipates. During her frenzy she has had a total blackout. Now, her consciousness slightly recovers. She looks around her and sees injured people lying on the ground everywhere. They have bite wounds on their necks and blood is scattered all over the auditorium. Raluca is covered in blood from top to bottom also. The scene is so terrible that it makes her shudder. This has been the worst urge incident ever. No time before she has bitten so many humans. What she has done is tantamount to a massacre. She is ashamed of herself and tries to explain the situation to the people surround her now. But nobody wants to listen to her. Even her best friends are afraid of her and don´t want to listen to Raluca. They call her a monster and look at her with a mixture of fear, anger and disgust. Raluca´s attempted explanation that this has been an accident doesn´t change anything also. No one cares about her feelings. Everyone sees her only as a cruel vampire and not as the girl they have become friends with.
After a few more moments the called police-men arrive. At first, they have thought the emergency call has been a prank to Halloween. But as they arrive, they are shocked by the brutal scene in the auditorium. They ask themselves what this is all about. Has truly a vampire caused this massacre? The emergency caller has said so. But vampires only exist in legends. They aren´t existing for real. But that girl covered in blood standing in the middle of the injured people certainly corresponds to these legends. She has long silver hair, red eyes and sharp canine teeth are coming out of her mouth. But even if they are somewhat irritated by the absurdity of that situation, the carry out their duties. A violent crime has taken place here and main suspect is that girl. So, they will have to capture her.
Raluca has calmed down a little bit in the meantime. She comes back to consciousness more and more. As she realizes the situation in its totality, she comes to the conclusion better not to get in trouble with the police-men. She would be able to overwhelm them for sure. But she doesn´t want to do so. She would like to make clear to everyone that she isn´t mean after all. Her only wish is to live together in peace with them. But nobody would trust in her words after the massacre she has arranged. So, she decides to escape from there.
Raluca leaves all the friends she has granted behind with a heavy heart. As it has often happened after one of these incidents, she disappears in the shadows of the night to hide. In her dark hideout she starts to cry loudly. She lets out all of her anger and sadness. Why does this happen to her every time? Why can´t she become friends with humans? Is this her true nature? Will she have to live as part of the shadows for her whole life? These are only a few questions she asks herself without getting an answer. Hiding in the dark shadows won´t give her any answer after all. The only thing she can do now is to wait until the general excitement over this incident has subsided. She would try to become friends with humans for another time than. She won´t give up after all. She continues to for fill her wish. She would do so for the rest of her live. This is the only understanding which is clear to her.

1,853 words
© Copyright 2023 Kotori Tachibana (k-tachibana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307267-The-Vampire-Princess