*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307358-Review-of-Jaane-Jaan
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Review · Action/Adventure · #2307358
A review of the recent Bollywood movie 'Jaane Jaan' that portrays a murder cover-up.
Review of Jaane Jaan


Set in the hilly tracts of Kalimpong, 'Jaane Jaan' is a movie about Maya D'Souza (Kareena Kapoor Khan), a single mother. When she is accused of murder, she finds unanticipated help from her neighbour, the socially inept but gifted Mathematics teacher Naren Vyas (Jaideep Ahlawat).


Kareena Kapoor Khan, a seasoned actor, delivers a brilliant performance in a new role. She deftly plays Maya, the cafe owner struggling to make ends meet. While we are used to seeing her exude oomph, in Jaane Jaan, she manages to impress in a middle-aged avatar. Her grace wins her many admirers, most notably Naren. As a result, Naren visits Maya's cafe often, more for her and less for the egg-fried rice.


Jaideep Ahlawat is terrific as the steely Naren Vyas. Lonely and depressed, he masks his unhappiness with dignity. He cannot articulate his fondness for Maya, whom he loves most after mathematics.


Vijay Varma shines as Inspector Karan Anand, the Mumbai police officer tasked with finding corrupt cop Ajit Mhatre's killer. He is sharp and trained to look beyond the obvious. However, he is no match for the genius of Naren.


Varma's performance is noteworthy because he, being a newcomer to Bollywood, takes on Kareena Kapoor Khan, one of the industry's most accomplished actors, with confidence. Also, while Karan is attracted to Maya, the movie doesn't succumb to the temptation of melodramatising the two.


Jaane Jaan is also a story of the triumph of the human spirit against all odds. Naren and Maya, both waging a battle on their personal fronts, show the determination and courage to craft their destinies. While Maya is moving on after a messy marriage, the suicidal Naren finds in Maya a reason to live. Their never-say-die spirit is the thread that holds the story together.


Jaane Jaan is also noteworthy for its crisp narrative. There are no wasted scenes or unnecessary dialogues, and the makers brilliantly pull off a story around a murder cover-up.


What is also unique about Jaane Jaan is how it uses Mathematics to enrich the narrative. Right from Naren's empathy for a struggling student, Naren's tireless efforts to solve complex mathematics problems, and the clever use of the subject to obfuscate the truth, the power of mathematics is on full display.


The investigation into Ajit Mhatre's murder hits a dead end. While Maya is let off due to a lack of evidence, Naren finds the right environment to pursue his passion for mathematics - jail.

© Copyright 2023 Kanishka (readkanishka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307358-Review-of-Jaane-Jaan