*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307373-Detectives-at-Work
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2307373
There's a mystery to solve!
"Yes, that's what we'll do," Robert said. "It's a really good idea."

Maryann glowed. It was nice that her idea was being praised by all the others.

Fourteen-year-old Jim took on the role of leader again. He, after all, was the eldest, and it didn't do to let these youngsters decide things in this Detective Meeting.

"We must take a formal vote. All in favour of Maryann's idea, raise your hands."

Robert raised his hand at once. So did Lornda and Nixie. Maryann blushed as she raised hers, and finally, Jim raised his.

"It's unanimous," Jim stated. "We'll put Maryann's idea into action."

"How?" said ten-year-old Nixie, in an almost-whisper. "I don't have my Halloween costume ready, I don't even know what it's going to be."

"Yeah, it's only July," Robert said.

Jim thought hard. Then he brightened. "Listen -- you fourth graders had costumes for your 4th of July play, didn't you? Those won't have been put away yet."

"Yeah, but Jim, I can't be ..." Lornda's voice dropped so low nobody could hear it and then she continued, "for HALLOWE'EN. I mean, that might go against the constitution or something, insulting history."

Jim laughed. "Maryann's been using those big words, too, ever since the play, constitution and all. But listen. You don't have to use those masks, so you're not those people. But you can maybe turn the clothes inside out and back to front and wear them, and ..."

"I know, I know," Nixie chimed in. "Some kids were trees and things. My cousin was. We could wear the tree and flower masks."

"Right," Jim said. "Costumes decided. I'll wear my last years' costume, I kept it for emergencies. Now for strategy."

Jim cleared his throat and began his formal address to his minions.

"So we want to find out which of the neighbours stole the big box of chocolates Dad got Mom for her birthday. Now we've peeped in at those enough to know all the wrappings and all the logos on the individual wraps by heart."

"We don't," Robert protested. "You and Maryann are your Mom's kids and live in the same house, we live on the next street - no chance of peeping in to any chocolate boxes at your house." Robert fell into a silent brood after this statement.

"Right, so we'll divide into two teams. I'll go with Nixie, and the rest of you can go as a team," Jim replied. "That way there's one knowledgeable one on each team. Now, Nixie can hold the bag out, and I'll peer closely at what is being put in. If I recognise the chocolate, I'll know that's the thief handing it over."

"And I'll hold our bag," Robert said. "So Maryann can peep."

"What do I do?" Lornda asked.

"You keep your eyes peeled into the houses, looking for a big silver box of chocolates, shped like the Taj Mahal."

"What's the Taj Mahal shaped like?"

"Like the box of chocolates Dad got Mom."

That evening, the Detectives met in Lornda's bedroom to get themselves ready. Lornda's parents were out and her grandma was babysitting. Grandma could be trusted not to ask too many questions or to rat on anyone.
Soon, five figures emerged. One was in last year's costume, now a bit small for him. The others were in inside-out back-to-front 4th of July costumes with tree masks on. Two carried big bags.

Grandma heard the kitchen door click shut.

"Where are you off to? It's almost supper time."

"I'll have supper just before bed, Grandma," Lornda called back.

They split up at the gate. Team Jim turned left and Team Maryann turned right.

Forty minutes later, they met back in Lornda's bedroom ... having said a hasty goodnight to the policeman who had escorted them to the door.

"I didn't know Grandma would call the police," Lornda apologised.

"Yeah, quick, while she's heating up the soup ... any clues?"

"None. We got leftover pizza, two Kit-Kats and half a Mars Bar," Maryann replied.

"Oh, we did better than that. Lilli's Mom gave us each a piece of pineapple cake and Jeff's Dad gave us a whole box of orange biscuits."

"But nobody had any stolen chocolate."

"KIDS," came a loud voice. "Come downstairs at once or the soup'll get cold! All of you! Now!"

They trooped into the kitchen, still in their get-ups.

Grandma looked hard at them. She stared, and then, suddenly, burst out laughing. "Oh, you kids, you kids, trick-or-treating now of all things, in those outfits!"

The kids stared back, and then they began to laugh, too. They sat at the table, where a steaming jug of soup stood.

"I'll get the bowls for you," Grandma said, reaching and pulling open a big side drawer.

The kids almost fell off their chairs.

There, in the side drawer was ...
a big
silver box
shaped like
The Taj Mahal!!



"But -- but ..."

Bowls and spoons appeared. Soup was served.

"Drink up before it gets cold. You didn't put sweaters over your weird outfits and you need something warm in you. I'll cut some bread and get some cheese, too."

While her back was turned, the kids pointed at the Taj Mahal and gestured at each other. Grandma turned and saw them.

"That? Ah, it's your Mom's, Jim and Maryann. Your Dad gave it to her for her birthday, you know. She said it was tempting her too much, she wanted to eat three or four chocolates a day. So she gave it to us for safekeeping here. She comes over once a day, and whoever is around at the time gets a chocolate from it. It's an exercise in self-control for all of us."

"Can we ..." Robert began.

"No, these chocolates have liquor in them and aren't for kids. Nobody would give them to you. You eat the stuff you got trick or treating today. Robert, dear, what is that?"

"The piece of leftover pizza we got ... you said to eat it ..."
© Copyright 2023 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307373-Detectives-at-Work