*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307388-The-Magic-of-The-Great-Pumpkin
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by D.B.
Rated: E · Essay · Children's · #2307388
31 Days of Halloween day 27
Almost everyone knows the story of The Great Pumpkin, where Linus from the Peanuts gang stays in the pumpkin patch to wait for The Great Pumpkin, a Halloween version of Santa Claus. Hardly anyone believes Linus's story about The Great Pumpkin yet Linus insists. Sally, Charlie Brown's sister, stays to wait with Linus only to get tired of waiting. She laments waiting for The Great Pumpkin instead of participating in Halloween festivities.


The Great Pumpkin does not end up visiting the pumpkin patch, but Linus doesn't completely lose hope on the idea for the future.
How many times have we hoped for fantastical things and want them so much that they know they must be true? As children we tend to do this a lot more. When we become adults life has taught us to keep our nose to the grind stone and be practical. But yet, life loses its magic when we don't keep hoping for that which our heart desires, no matter how impractical. It doesn't mean our dreams have to happen exactly the way we wish, but it is important that we still reach for them in some way.

This time of year brings out many stories that make us think about our wishes and dreams. And The Great Pumpkin is a story of hope even though things didn't go as planned. I kind of wished for an alternative ending to the story where Linus falls asleep and wakes up to find loot from The Great Pumpkin . Something about his wish for something seemingly unrealistic tends to stir something within anyone who still believes in magic. After all, magic and fun is what keeps life interesting.
© Copyright 2023 D.B. (fishbone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307388-The-Magic-of-The-Great-Pumpkin