*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307455-The-best-parts-of-my-childhood
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Pets · #2307455
I was 7-8 years old, I focused on the bright side of life and it was the most fun years
I was 7 and my brother was 3 when we played together even more often. We had a bunch of toys and the toys filled up a huge bin. We played with his toy cars together and we even played with each other’s toys at times. We shared snacks at times, and we had the most fun times during the holidays. Me and him would make holiday decorations out of construction paper and tape them on the window. At dinner time my mom would watch the TV show called Buffy the vampire slayer and my brother was so scared of that “grrraard monster” that would show up on the Buffy commercial after the show ends, he would cry for a while so my mom had to make sure to change the channel immediately after the show was over. My mom was into vampire shows, soap opera, and scary movies. I was just fine watching scary movies, it never bothered me one bit.

One interesting night I had when I was 7 years old was that evening when I watched a movie with my parents called “the 13th ghost” and I looked outside the window and the power went out outside. The inside of the apartment still had light but the apartment lights outside were off. It was pitch black outside when I looked out the window. I looked up in the sky and the moon was red! I was so astonished by the sight that I ran up to my dad as fast as I can and yelled “the moon is red! The moon is red! Why is the moon red?!” and he said “that’s called a lunar eclipse, it happens once in a while.” So after that I looked at the moon for a while because it’s was a beautiful sight.

I was always excited to go to bed each night because I always had wonderful and beautiful dreams I kept getting each night I go to sleep. I dreamed mostly about flying in the sky or flying through space. I also dreamed about animals and plants a lot. I felt like I was in a whole another world because I was basically looking around or flying mostly, and I felt so joyful and calm in the dreams like nothing happened in real life. I also had dreams from time to time about something more realistic and they would come true in real life! I knew at this point that whenever I had a dream about something more realistic, they would end up coming true in real life like I know something will happen and then it does. I was having dreams since I was a toddler and all those dreams always comforted me in the midst of all the trials and persecutions I went through.

In second grade I was 8 years old, and I didn’t really have detentions that year because my class had different students so it was somewhat a relief from dealing with false punishments of false accusations. I was still being bullied though but not as bad as first grade. That class was fun and the teacher was nice. I spent a lot more time in recess playing in the field than playing on the play ground. I loved those 2 trees that were there, one was near the concrete area and the other was on the other side of the playground. I played with ladybugs a lot, and killed some bees. I even tied dandelions together to make bracelets and put flowers in my hair. I also loved looking at the sky a lot, and I kept looking at the clouds that went by. I would make up songs of me flying in the sky, and danced in the field with my arms out like I’m flying. I still couldn’t make any friends so I played mostly alone. I remember my dad used to pick me up after school each day and I would always climb a tree by the curbside that was easy to climb and I waved at him from the top of the tree. Then after we get home we would wait for my brother in front of the apartment complex for the bus, and I remember I played with snails and slugs a lot. I felt so good to have some experience being outside because I was trapped inside at home since I wasn’t allowed outside. My Autism was starting to go away a little at the time, so I finally talked a little more and understood others a little more.

I really loved my second grade class because this year we had great field trips and great happenings and we also learned more about animals. We went to the Aquarium of the Pacific and it was a wonderful place where I saw all kinds of sea animals. We also had a period of time where we saw tadpoles hatching out of their eggs and then turn into frogs over time. I loved looking in the tank, and I felt so great experiencing seeing animals. That period of time we learned about amphibians and reptiles. One frog developed faster than the others and the tadpoles were literally nibbling in it trying to eat it, so while the teacher or kids weren’t looking, I took the frog out of the tank to rescue it. I knew that frogs start to breathe air once they develop so I thought it was fine taking it out of the tank. It never moved at all but I ended up taking it in the car with me on the way home and it still never moved. I knew at this point it was dead ever since the tadpoles ate it up a little. Once the rest of the tadpoles became little frogs, the whole class was able to sit in a circle and took turns holding the frogs. We had the frogs for a little while until the teacher gave them back to where she got them at.
Then we started learning about birds and my teacher had an incubator and had chicken eggs inside them. We had to wait 21 days until they hatch and I was so excited about seeing the baby chicks! I was trying to be as patient as possible while the teacher counted down each day about how many more days they will hatch. I was anticipating the hatch so hard that I couldn’t stop thinking about it. On the day they hatched, I saw the cute little chicks breaking out of their eggs one by one and my eyes were watery full of joy when I saw the wonderful sight. The chicks were still wet from the inside of the eggs. The teacher let us all watch the event, some hatched in the morning and others didn’t hatch until the afternoon before school was out. The next day, they were all fluffy looking! We all sat in a circle and had a chance to hold the chicks. I was highly joyful at this point and I couldn’t stop smiling! The chick I was holding was so cute, I was petting the chick in my hands and it was chirping so cute. The teacher took a picture of us individually holding the chicks so we can take the picture home and keep it for good memories.

I was grateful I had a cat at home named Shawnee since I was 2 years old, but she wasn’t all the way friendly because she would bite. We got another cat from a pet store but she was way worse and didn’t like people so we traded her in for a better cat. This cat was so nice, she was very colorful too because she was half tabby and half calico. She had grey and black stripes with orange patches all over and white fur on her nose and underneath her and on her paws. My parents named her Patches because of the orange patches of fur. Patches was the best cat I have ever experienced. She was a cuddly cat and she really liked me. She would need her paws into my hair and lick me at times. She always loved to rub her head against me and she loved playing around too. I also really enjoyed putting my ear on her while she’s laying down to hear her purr. I enjoyed having Patches at home from that time forward.

At school, when the chicks started to feather a little, the teacher talked to all parents and ask them if they wanted to take the chicks home and have them as pets. I was asking my parents about it because I really wanted to keep one so bad. My parents said no because we only lived in a studio apartment. I was crying so hard for a few days because I really wanted to keep a chick. My parents got me to feel better by deciding to get a pet rabbit instead. We ended up getting a brown dwarf rabbit and my dad named it Fluffy. He dwelt in the cage and we let him out once a day for him to hop around. I loved playing with the rabbit as much as playing with Patches. I cuddled with the rabbit at times by laying my head on him and hearing his heart beats inside. We ended up getting another rabbit to make him feel company, it was a white rabbit with red eyes and we named him Snowball. Fluffy started humping Snowball and I thought that was weird because they were both males. When Snowball got older he started humping Fluffy too. I enjoyed playing with the 2 rabbits and I had a great time having them as pets. One day the apartment manager came over and told my parents that they need to get rid of 2 pets because we can’t more than 2 pets. I was sad because they had to give up the 2 rabbits. The night before the day we had to give them away, I had a really bad nightmare of the rabbits being cut up with a knife and used for food and I woke up crying because I didn’t want the dream to come true in real life. I made a drawing book of the 2 rabbits for memories, and I illustrated and wrote this book. Each page was what the rabbits did during the time we had them. I said goodbye to the rabbits and we officially gave them away.

Also that year, both my special ed speech teacher and my regular teacher thought I was an angel. I really loved a light blue shirt I wore that said “sweet angel” on it. I heard my special ed teacher telling my mom that I was a sweet angel. I loved the compliments. I knew there was something special about me from this time forward.
© Copyright 2023 Alicia Astralstar (astralstar9695 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307455-The-best-parts-of-my-childhood