*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307528-Evony
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2307528
Drop into a fantasy world 🌎
EVONY - Working Title


CHAPTER 1


It all started with an email.

CATON BACKSTORY

The bar was dark and fairly quiet, which is normal for most drinking establishments in the morning, but not in LasVegas. Yet, it was an oasis in the bright sunlight and urban noise of city. Most casual visitors stick to the strip and Fremont Street. They don't realize there is a sprawling metropolis unless they're attentive on the descent into Harry Reid International. There was an occasional uproar from the card room where a morning Texas Hold-em was in full swing. The jangle of the video poker machine was courtesy of a lone chain smoker who added the light but acrid haze to the room.

None of that was bothersome, and steak with a loaded potato had arrived just a few moments previously. The aroma of the meat was always tantalizing, but came with memories both good and bad.

What was bothersome was the two couples who came in just as the first bite of black and blue melted in his mouth. Until recently, Caton was in an elite unit of the military. It was the group that selected personnel from other elite units. He had come up through the marine corps, so he was well aware of Twentynine Palms releasing … of Jarheads on the city. How they had found their way to …. Bar was a bit of a mystery. They certainly wouldn't have been at the range where he had just begun visiting, since they spent enough time with weapons on base. There wasn't any eating establishments of note in the neighborhood, and the tattoo parlor was all locals. Caton always assessed a new area when he might stay awhile, and if he could make a deal with… he just might. Of course, if the area was going to be full of military folks, he might not.

The plan had been to eat a nice dinner, even though it was morning, have a couple fingers of Jamesons, and perhaps join the card game. His roll was a little light, and the players didn't look to be very good. He received a pension of sorts, even though he hadn't served 20 years.

The two men were Marines after all, and while all of them have the potential to be dangerous, there are levels. This pair didn't have the look and mannerisms of anything more than what they'd learned in basic. However, it was a rare member of the Corps that didn't possess a full measure of bravado. They were talking to the women with smiles and

Are you calling me a liar, …?
No, I'm saying you have an unhealthy relationship with the truth.

Hollywood Marines

Haven't you heard? All pussy goes to Parris, even the men.
Well, at least we like women, granola eater.

Caton knew they were trained well enough to come at him simultaneously, preferably at a wide angle

Fight. Stopped when someone comes in to get him.


These are just a couple initial tests they have to pass:

A timed 18-mile 'ruck-march' at night in which the candidate must carry 35 pounds in their rucksack.
A timed 40 mile route while carrying a 45 pound ruck sack over rough, steep terrain.
Then they have a rigorous battery of psychological tests. If, after those tests, they're found to qualify, they attend a six-month training course.

Captain Jason Burnes, an assistant operations officer at Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Special Troops Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team "Rakkasan", 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), finished ahead of his peers and every other student that wore a pack on their shoulders to complete the intense 12-mile

CHAPTER 2

Finding the sample

The six man team was a mix of science and military. Some of them were active duty, and some were not. Regardless, they were all paid by Uncle Sam in one way or another. Only two didn't have a PhD in one or two disciplines, and they did double duty in communications and medical, while also protecting the site from nosy hikers. They were prepared for any other problems, but expected none. But with each man dressed in a protective gray suit complete with helmet, they were an unusual sight.

The specialist in environmental science was checking the readings on a meter for air quality. They were all standing on an dormant volcano called Diamond Peak in a lightly used national forest in a remote part of Oregon. But dormant didn't mean inactive, and every precaution would be taken. In this case in particular, there had been a little geologic belch. Unusual activity often resulted in a team in proper gear, but it was kept as quiet as possible.

He was the first to use communications on a day that would have very little radio chatter between the six.


They were … in a sleepy little town called Oakridge that was just big enough not to attract attention, particularly because it was a outdoor mecca where out of town four wheel vehicles were common. They had taken

consisted

CHAPTER 3

Inside American Industry Labs, Inc.

The ….. microscope is the most power ever built. It can see a …. that is ….x too small to be seen by the human eye. Scientists have been using the "stope'scope", as it is called in the lab, to peel back incredibly thin layers of various materials to find previously undiscovered substances. It was akin to strip mining on a subatomic level, hence the nickname of the instrument.

Look at how the molecules are moving.
That's an unusual pattern.
Yeah, it's the most …. pattern I've seen.
Looks like like chessboards or something.
That are in motion slipping past each other.
When they get close, Ami says whatever activity that happens there increases.
Some kind of magnetic field?
Maybe.

NEED MORE LAB





Well, every object has a shape, and when you to the molecular level, there are certain recurring shapes.
Okay, I believe you, but what's the relevance?
This is a square planar molecule. What it's done is joined with other molecules to create a generally flat square.
It didn't take long for you to lose me, Doc.
Think of it like salt. You can see the cube shape with the naked eye, right?
Sure.
It's a bit like that.
Right. Unless I get a PhD is this stuff, I'm not going to understand this, am I?
Not completely, no. I just want you to be aware it's a flat surface in general even though we have no idea what it will look and feel like to you. But it's not really relevant to what you'll be doing.
Okay, when do we get to that part. What will I be doing?
Be patient, we'll be getting to that.

Will I need some kind of air supply?
Unlikely, but we'll send a filter mask. We don't know the extent of any air quality issues.
Ami says breathable.
That's what the computers said about Iraq.
Well, it's not exactly a computer, it's
What my colleague ought to say is to be careful what you say, she is listening to us.
What?!
If there's a microphone or even a speaker that can pick up sound waves, Ami hears you.
You mean in here? Or where?
We can't really answer that.
Yeah, I'll bet you can't. We're going to circle back to this before we're done here.
We'll share whatever we can.



There has been discussions and debates over artificial intelligence for decades, but until certain companies announced they had actually created them, it all seemed like science fiction, not science.

AI STUFF


Named Ami because artificial intelligence is scary to people, but apparently if "machine" is in there, it's not. They did studies on it.

What the computers in …. lab name… were tasked with doing would have taken a human being decades.

When Ami said something it was seeing was alive, we figured it was just bacterium, maybe…

Mycoplasma genitalia

Of course that's what you think of first… but it could be a that, it's all over the place comparatively. Or a virus, I suppose, that would get picked up even though many don't consider it living.

So what are you saying?

This was smaller. It was much smaller.

As intriguing as that might be, I don't understand why I'm here.

Well, we don't have all the details because Ami selected you.

Ami is, who, exactly?




NO ONE LOOKS THROUGH A SCOPE



How to get to the world?

Parent company miniaturized things, even animals, but not at that level, nor with a human. They are still in the process of creating a retrieval process.

It's a bit like a tube that gets smaller, and as you pass through it, you get smaller as well.

Why won't I get squeezed out like a tube of toothpaste?



WHEN THEY GET CLOSE PORTALS WORK TO THE ENEMY SERVER

NO COMMUNICATIONS

Three men.

We've sent several types of communication devices through, and we don't think the process harms them. They just lose signal as they get smaller.
We believe it's a problem with amplification on the downside.
Downside?
That's what we call the miniaturized item, and whatever environment it's in ….
So does that make this room the upside?
Well, we just call it the lab.

Father a lawyer. Caught practicing law at 17.

So let me get this straight, you want a volunteer to go through a process you cannot reverse into an unknown environment without any communications because some smart ass computer says I should.

Well, yes.

Terrific



INOCULATIONS AND FOOD TOLERANT WAY TO TEST FOOD AND WATER



There was no way to be certain of the canopy color, that was the word in place of sky, but the consensus was it would reflect the ceiling color. Discussion had raged at what may have changed by taking the core drilled cylinder from the field to the facility. In fact, there was mild concern that moving the sample had caused massive damage to what might exist downside. The chute was eggshells in color and was necessary because like the colors, they only had hypothetical models Ami provided. Caton opened his eyes when the a device similar to an altimeter released the bland? but sturdy nylon with a jerk.

Surprised he was alive. Can see walled settlements

The camouflage that the parachute was supposed to provide was the first failure of the mission, and it did so in spectacular fashion. The cleared area wasn't very large, and appeared to be crudely turned over and planted.

The wind was negligible and the decent was the same as any of his previous jumps. He took a quick glance at the tree lines, which looked remarkably like pines, but didn't see much of anything. The vegetation was dense with openings that would turn out to be trails.

Well, this turned into some weird shit real quick.


Touch and go



Caton grabbed his ruck and the hastily crammed together parachute and followed the half clothed man down a rough pathway that widened incrementally at first, with ot h er trails converging like mountain streams. It then dumped onto dirt avenue wide enough for a platoon march. There were no other people or animals moving anywhere, but huts made from thick branches were on the far side of the … Not far away to his left, he could see low structures made of rough hewn wood. They were roofed with what appeared to be thatch, and had roughed doors and windows, each closed to the outside. On the other side of the house the road curved into a small town square. The outdoor stone hearths, ovens and cooking pits that dotted the fronts of various buildings looked cold, but an occasional untinsil or pot was in evidence. Before entering the village and leaving the cover of the trees, the man looked overhead and took in a full. Since his face was pinched and brow furrowed, Caton followed his gaze with a modicum of concern.

What the hell are you looking for, friend. He said… hoping it would prove to be true. With a grunt and a nod of his head toward the road at the far end of the village, the new friend candidate turned and trotted away with a hastened gait.

Okay, I guess we're going this way. He muttered, and took a quick glance at his compass, which seemed to be functional. Not sure where we're going, but you're in a hurry to get there. Once they were back

These people are ghosted!

Sub atomic has different physics

Time is different. Much slower downside and passes faster on surface. Perhaps due to stasis machin up top

Physics different
Portals actually work
How far to walk? What?

You have compression and fire, but they won't work together. If my equipment is actually recording and it's resized, there are going to be some shocked physicists.

Anyone can have a keep if they want to expend the work it takes.

GLIMPSE TO SERVER WAR

Why are there rewards and from whom?

We are common men here, we refrain from concerning ourselves with the matters of gods and kings.


Zoo here

Castle shimmers and disappears

Clans and alliance

WC is like tv

Meet generals

Champions come. They hear of the new


Locals use heat from ground for …



Communication with Ami begins here
Screeching sound in pack. Pretends it's an animal and has to release it outside.

COMMUNICATIONS

1


Bright light using parabola to mark a drop spot. Have workshop make a polisher. C tries by hand first

Drops look like funnel clouds tornado touchdown

Visit to mines

FTP

Meeting Bless
… took Caton to a small tavern just off the main concourse that lead to the keep itself. He's a bitch sometimes.
No one laughs at God in a hospital
No one laughs at God in a war
No one's laughing at God
When they've lost all they got
And they don't know what for

Bless, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Well, sir, that sounds very nice, although I haven't any idea what you mean.
Yes. I tend to forget that even people who speak the same language don't use the same idioms.
No, clearly they don't! Laugh
Well, it just means that without you I couldn't get as far. Or something like that.
And why would you think that of me?


A living oxymoron.


Shall we just go with wind and wings? It seems to save time.
Yeah, we can do that.

Bless says futare instead of future.

Eat all the fairy sprites in all the land. Some kind of slur.




Burn enters here.
, Quest for gems

Okay, it's very pretty, but I don't see why anyone would want it so bad.
It's not about this one particular gem. Not it, them. It's what they can do together.

Ymir hunt do you want to hunt or fight?

Dragon riding and parachutes. Use chute for some action.

JD as Sierrne legal issues C stands in. Tile hit. C convinces court more than just rss damages THIS IS HOW KJ FIRST SEES CATON.

Game elements into story lines. What else?

Conrad and Mason
Connie gun doesn't work right physic

The wings con uses the scuba

THIS IS THE EPIC BATTLE. LOOK FOR PLACEMENT

The men started up the marble steps to the main building of the keep. Though they could both see steam rising from a large fountain almost two full stories above them, only …. knew the significance. He grabbed … tunic to stop him, and once turned spoke in a muted voice.

It seems Mermaid is out and about.
Okay. I'm not sure what that means.
Stops. Just be sure of one small thing before you meet her, because you will directly.
What's that?
Do not, under any circumstance, gaze below her neck.
Okay, should I ask?
She frolics in the pools in the nude. Most believe it's to tease the young men, but I'm not certain, myself. I believe it's about respect.
Does it matter? I mean, I wouldn't be staring at any woman like that, but what it I did?
… chuckles She is quite powerful, my friend. She once had one of her juvenile dragons chase an errand boy down the outer road lighting small fires behind him.
Caton laughed.
For what, exactly?
He was bold and stole a glance!
Yes, sir. the crime of the century. Looking at boobs.
Hèed my words! I'll tell you a story of a man who wronged her. Then you might understand. Come, let's go.

Meet Mermaid

Sin story

Huck in canal. Eyes, bluer in sun, turquoise with tears.



Burned tavern and titles explained. Prrson who caused problems in tavern got crap title.

FTP hunting too close to OTA punishment.




Caton crossed the courtyard in front of the main keep with a large olive green satchel on his shoulder and two cylinders that were covered with with rough cloth.
Hey Pookie, get out of the water and get decent.
I'm much better than just decent, sir.
Uh huh. Cmon I have something for you.
A present?
Yeah, you're going to love it.

When she had slipped on a robe he nodded toward the cobbled alley between a couple of stone buildings.

You'll be pleased to know you won't be in that robe very long
Well, that's deliciously unexpected
Oh, it'll be unexpected, just not how you think.
Now I'm simply curious! What could this all be about, …

He pointed at a spot where the stone jutted out over into the finger of water that was part of the deep water canal system. It was used to move cargo efficiently through town. In this particular area, there were mostly service entrances DESCRIBE residences that had very light traffic. It wasn't perfect, but it would have to suffice. Caton set the bags down with a thump and a muffled clang of metal. Mermaid dropped to one knee and tugged down the cover of one of the tanks.

Oh, you have brought me a large can. Quite thoughtful of you!
Stop that. Come sit with me.

…

What I'm going to show you is something you might have seen in one of your future movies.
Are you playing some game? What do you really have in there?
No game. I need you to be prepared so you don't freak out.
Freak out? What does that mean?
Uh, hmmm. Draw attention, I guess. We don't want anyone getting a good look at this.
Why not do it in my chambers? No one would bat an eye. Or dare to.
It'd be nice, but we'll be using the water.
My canal?
YOUR canal?
They're all my canals. But if you want to get wet and frolic with me unseen, perhaps my private bath is more suitable?
He let the obvious inference go. Private bath … How big is this bath?
I've had gatherings with dozens of the finest people.
How deep?
Well, they all stood in the shallows. Otherwise the water would top their heads, and they would drown before they quit talking about themselvesm. Cackle…
Sounds perfect. Lead the way.

Describe the walk.

Caton had been in a couple medieval castles traveling in Europe, but none were quite like this. The outside was very similar to way they had been designed in the past. Or, at least, his past. He had seen other construction that mimicked structures built by different cultures of different eras. It made sense if some places picked up different signals that were from other parts of his world. If that was the same reason for language differences, it made some sense.

Once past the thick iron banded wood doors, the interior came as a bit of a surprise.

The pool

Mermaid had seen the tanks already, so she went for the other bag, but Caton stopped her for a moment. She looked at him, flushed just a slight pink, and with a twinkle in her eye untied the rope drawstring. The first item pulled free was a dark blue swim fin, and her hands took in the texture. It bent and gave when she twisted. It had an unusual color she adored. But the shock didn't last. When she pulled out the wetsuit and rolled it in her fingers, her brows narrowed. She turned slowly and locked eyes with Caton.

What is this?
That's called a wetsuit. You wear it to keep you warmer in the water.
No, I asked what IS this? Held out and stretched the fabric.
Oh. That's neoprene. He pointed. And that flipper there is carbon fiber.
She stared …
They're materials. Just like wood or stone. Different, but you craft with it all the same.
But where did it come from?

Bewildered, she began dumping the remaining pieces of equipment from the sack and seemed to grow quieter with each examination. He waited for a moment and answered.

That is a very, very difficult question to answer.
Well, perhaps you should try!
Jesus.
You've said that several times before, I do not know what it means.
That might be even more difficult to explain, actually.
Don't switch the topic, Caton, where did you get this, gestures, whatever it's called?!
It's diving gear, and all I can say is it's from up. He pointed towrd the ceiling. I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm really not sure about all of it myself.
How do you get it? It cannot just APPEAR!
No, it kind of drops from the sky.
Yes? Well, that's something I should see.
You don't believe me?
I don't know what I believe.

Silence.

I do believe this, however. Pause. I believe you need to show me how all of this works!

Laugh.

Okay. Line out all the pieces along the edge. Points
Any particular order?
No, you'll figure that out on your own soon enough. But that. He taps the wetsuit. You need to put that on first.

She lined various pieces along the edge, at times turning over and object and wrinkling her nose. The temptation to ask questions may have been great, but the need to solve mysteries without clues was greater. Caton watched and covered his mouth with his hand, but his eyes were twinkling as he watched.

What? She had turned and seen him.
Nothing, nothing. He said and hardened his look.
Hmmm. Right. She narrowed her eyes for just a moment. Okay, so now this. She held out the wetsuit.
Well, you don't wear anything under that, other than a rashie, but they didn't send them.
A what?
Nevermind. Just go put that on. It should fit.
Go? She dropped the robe quickly off her shoulders to the ground.
Woman!
Well, you finally noticed that, did you?
Yes. I did. Wetsuit!

Fine, but it isn't giving me as much thrill as just standing here. It is close, however.

Caton didn't speak, and with a sigh she stepped into the suit. This is an odd feeling.

She finally got her legs through properly, but not before unceremoniously having a seat in the floor with a little grunt. He caught the movement in his periphery and a allowed himself a soft chuckle.

Most people sit down first.
Does that say more about student or teacher?
It says something about common sense.
I've heard that said before but I'm not exactly sure of the meaning.
It means you should have known enough about pants work to sit down.
Perhaps. Pause. But even if I did agree, I'd never admit it. Pause. Then again, I can also put on my pants while standing.
So it's my fault for bringing it to you?
Clearly, she said distracted. What do you call this?
He took a quick glance and responded, It's called a zipper. You zip it up.
Yes, my common sense bubbled to the surface on that one. She pulled it up to her chest. Well, this is a bit tight. Do the people up there all have small bosoms?
No, not at all. If you ever wore clothes I might have gotten a better idea what size to get.
You can't tell without clothes?
I never looked until just now, and that wasn't on purpose.

The smile she gave him was a bit crooked, with the corner of left side of the lip a bit above the other. Caton found it cute as hell, and it took a strong measure of control to not try and take a kiss. She was certainly close enough. He could smell flowers faintly mixed with … of her wet hair. They held the gaze just a moment longer than proper, but she narrowed her eyes which broke the spell.

I don't believe you.
What?! He was incredulous.
I've been dealing with men all of my life, good sir, and you might be quite different, but certainly not so different as that.
Well, that stings, Pookie. That just stings.
Good. She mocked him in return. Now I'm getting wet and trying new things!

She turns and walks. He follows taking of his shirt. She stops and looks over her shoulder.

What are you doing?
I'm stripping down.
Such a proper man proposes to undress in a lady's private bath? I knew you were lying.
Yes, … , but I'm not going to soak all my clothes, so you'll just have to deal.
Deal? You make no sense sometimes. She paused. You're coming in, too?
Of course. Stripping… Who else is going to keep you from drowning?
Drowning? Please be serious. This part of the bath is only a meter or so and I live to swim. Caton knitted his brows and pursed his lips just a bit. It's not the depth of the water, sometimes people can't handle being in the gear and panic. Besides, I once saw a man drown face down in about this much… He held out his hand about six inches.
What?! How is that possible?
I was holding his head.
I will refrain from asking why, but I suppose you had your reasons. Such a savage, you are.

With that Mermaid turned quickly, took two lithe steps, and made a perfect shallow dive.

She surfaces.

Hey! This thing gets warm!
Did you pee in it?
Of course not, that's just foul.
He laughed. It allows a small amount of water in, and your body heat warms it up.
Interesting. I like it. … so what's next?
Next we go over the basic rules so you don't get hurt, okay? He sat on the edge …

She sluiced over with one stroke and stood in front of him.
Okay, give me the rules.
...

First is to breath normally and don't hold your breath. Before she could interrupt, he continued. You don't want your lungs to pop. Once you get in the pool, I'll be watching your bubbles.
I'm certain you will. Smirk and leaned forward into his legs.
Stop. He said, but didn't move. Instead he pointed two fingers at his eyes. Pay attention or you can't play with the toys. Now what did I just tell you?
Breathe like normal or my lungs will explode.
Good. I'll be pounding that one into your head. So, number two is to keep equalizing your ears as you change depth, or they'll pop. The easiest way is to pinch your nose and blow into it. There's some others ways we'll figure out work for you. Listen, you break an eardrum it can disorient you so bad you can drown. If you're stuffed up, like a cold, don't dive. With me?
Yes, I understand. Don't pop, and don't pop.
Okay. Good. This is the called the one-third rule. Caton grabbed a piece of equipment next to him. This gauge here is your PSI. How much pressure is in you tank. Now, you use one third of the tank to dive, one third to surface, and one third for emergencies. No messing around with that, you have to surface slowly, so save time for it. You come up too fast you can get the bends.
Bends?

Symptoms range from, oh, almost nothing to an incredibly painful death, so rule four is to ascend and descend slowly. Going down slowly is key, so you make a stop and wait a minute about every five meters. This gauge here, He pointed, shows depth in meters. It doesn't work quite right here, but it's close enough. I don't even want you at this yellow band depth. Yes?
Yes, professor.
Good. Nothing deep yet. Now, to come up slow, you have to vent the suit. You use thus here ... If not, it expands and pulls you up. And what did I just say about surfacing too fast?
You can pop or bend over and die. …
Good enough, I suppose.

Dial BREAK

Well, okay then. The last couple things you need to know are kind of tied up with last one about depth and such. The idea is toachieve neutral buoyancy during the whole dive.
Natural buoyancy, I have that on covered! She shook her chest and smiled coyly.
Neutral, not natural, but you heard me just fine, you flirt. Those, he pointed … , might allow you a little extra weight if you need it. You shouldn't though. Anyway, you don't want be the eggbeater … the one kicking all the time to keep depth. Or worse, be the pigpen walking on the bottom. I'll show you how to use the weight pockets later.

Okay, professor.

… So, finally, but very important, know your surroundings, check your depth and swim horizontal. Like a fish. He made a wave motion with his hand.

You mean like a MERMAID.

Yes, like a mermaid.



Where's your bag of gear?
Back at …. … I only brought a mask so I can see you under the water.

Hold breath almost five minutes

Does this mean you could kiss me deeply for that long without surfacing for air?

Caton paused and … , I'd kind of doubt it. I think my breathing might be a bit quicker than if I were just swimming.

Perhaps you could test your skill and see.

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

No, no it's not.


LOVE SCENE HERE - NOT WRITTEN YET, SORRY POOKIE.


Putting on the gear.

You need to be able to tread water for 10 min and complete a 200m continuous swim or 300m with mask, fins and snorkel to get open water cert…



Evil kj isn't so evil. Trying to thin herd to achieve final goal. Use lucky bastard somewhere…

Kj gives Caton title.

Kj visits distilleries around the realm

What is the ultimate goal? Fend off other servers to get peace



THE SERVERS ARE SET TO MERGE

Generals all come to aide for final battle!

Caton stays


© Copyright 2023 Mastiff (mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307528-Evony