*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307653-The-Duck-Song-by-Bryant-Oden
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Community · #2307653
48-Hour CHALLENGE - Media Prompt



         The duck waddled over to the lemonade stand. It asked the lemonade person if he had any grapes. He responded by saying no, he only sells lemonade. The duck waddled away until the next day. He shuffled over to the lemonade stand and asked the lemonade person if he had any grapes. This time the duck was told, "Like I said before, I only sell lemonade. The duck waddled away after turning down the offer of lemonade until the next day.

         On the third day, the duck waddled to the lemonade stand and asked, "Do you have any grapes?" "Now, this is getting old", the lemonade person said, "as I told you before, I only sell lemonade." When it was turned down once again, the duck said that he didn't want any lemonade and shuffled away.

          After several attempts of asking for grapes at the lemonade stand, the duck got a different response. The person at the lemonade stand had a big smile on his face when he decided to take the duck to the store to buy it some grapes. The duck took a grape and decided it didn't want it. Then it spoke up and asked him, "Can I have some lemonade?"

         What was, I will name Alphie the duck, trying to do? Was he dissatisfied with the young boy at the lemonade stand, of whom I will name, Esmeraldo? Alphie was asking time and time again for some grapes. Esmeraldo was tired of seeing Alphie when he had an idea of taking it to the store to buy it some grapes.

         Was Alphie bored and wanted something to do? or was it lonely and trying to make conversation? Only Alphie, the duck, would quack up a conversation to get some attention. When Alphie got what he wanted, he quacked up the grape, deciding that it wanted the lemonade after all.

         A duck is a duck and will always be a duck. It begins to quack up a longing for a grape, when, in real time, it wanted the lemonade. Was it a fake request for a grape? What was it about the grape that sparked his interest? Could it have had an experience of being drunk on one grape? Only Alphie would know the answer to that question.

         Esmeraldo's smile could've been contagious to Alphie, so much so, that he decided to give the lemonade a try. This began a friendship with Esmeraldo; they became lifelong friends.

A quack here and a quack there,
Always brings a round of cheers.
A bad hair day was at play,
Changing the bad into good,
Anyway, that it could.

The flowery saying that provided good news,
Brought laughter and sunshine to good reviews.
Walking on down the road of life,
Without any worries or even strife,
Will have meaning somewhere in time,
When the people come in to share a rhyme.

         This story repeats itself with a boring duck, appearing for a few days, and transforming into a new duck, all quacked up and ready to go and cheer everyone up.


511 Words


Written by Anna Marie Carlson
Preferred Author
Thursday, November 2, 2023




© Copyright 2023 Anna Marie Carlson (annamc.poet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307653-The-Duck-Song-by-Bryant-Oden