*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307861-Having-forgotten
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Experience · #2307861
What if you forgot how to ride a bike?
         Would you ever bother trying to relearn a skill with so little lingering utility? Imagine tripping over the proverbial ease of it, the common sense that it's a fait accompli. In time, of course, it'll be done or not done, with the effort or lack modestly packed away and forgotten in the attic of your ego. "Like riding a bike", you'll say, while thinking of the bike that's been rusting on the hillside under the hawthorne.
         It's a lot like riding that bike. You'd struggle to justify the effort to yourself and others. The steps to repair the machine to working function would transform it, likely undermining any nostalgia involved. Perhaps only mad-desire is required, follow-through decoupled from analysis.
         Insensitivity, a lack of regard for the empirical signals the world is providing, stupidity by another name, gotta have it. Sometimes with emphasis, the right thing to do will appear its opposite. This simply follows from the fact of imperfection. Maybe you should just forget that you've forgotten, so you can start to remember all over, again. If the rust were new to you, you might even enjoy the project.
© Copyright 2023 Unsolicited (allynstone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307861-Having-forgotten