*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307865-The-Star
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2307865
Flash Fiction
The Sky

“The sky is blue, and it’s nice and warm outside. Why don’t you go out there and get some fresh air Honey,” said Mom, who was obviously wanting to do something more than sit next to her daughter, who had to miss school because of a runny nose. “You can take the box of tissues with you and sit in the backyard in the sun. That would be nice, right?” she said hopefully.

Anna understood. She was bored herself, and she was only six. She knew Mom was working on some computer thing for work and they had both seen this cartoon movie a number of times already. So, she went along with it, to make Mom happy.

“Oh, that sounds like fun,” she said, smiling. Out she went.

It was nice outside, but just as boring as inside. Anna plunked herself into a lawn chair and looked up into the blue sky. It was early still very light out, and yet she looked right at a star on the horizon. After a few seconds she suddenly realized it was daytime. There shouldn’t be a star, should there?

As she stared at the star, suddenly it began to get bigger. Just a little at first, and then more and more. Anna started to get scared! She tried to get up, but she couldn’t seem to take her eyes off the star. Then it got really, really big! She closed her eyes tight, waiting for it to run into her.

When she opened them again, Mom was smiling, and tears were running down her face. They were in the hospital. They had come in an ambulance.

Anna never forgot that moment, and she stopped to look up into the sky every day, for the rest of her long, and wonderful life.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307865-The-Star