*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307907-The-New-Constituent
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Political · #2307907
A short political thriller on my 3 item challenge. Thanks to Damon Nomad.
Dave Rowell woke up with the diminishing rumble of a train receding into the tunnel in his head. He looked across his desk in the Senate Offices at the tall man in the guest chair. Dave was still groggy, and was putting things together with great difficulty. He reached for his head...no, his arm didn't move. He looked down at his right hand, trying to will it to move, and noticed the duct tape that fixed it to the arm of the chair. Check that...BOTH arms firmly secured to the chair. How? Why? He looked at the half-empty coffee cup to his left...the creamer...he had been drugged! As he became increasingly lucid, he checked everything he could visually. Porthos, his 15 pound gray tabby was sleeping in his bed on the side table, oblivious to the world. The leather notebook from Nieman-Marcus was open to today's appointment sheet, but it had been read through, as several pages had obviously been torn out. The tall man was looking over a file that had been in the front of the notebook. Dave began to put it all together as the man spoke, "Senator Rowell, I see you are rejoining me. Don't worry, the sedative will be completely gone in a few minutes, you have my word."
Rowell tried to focus on every detail of the man's appearance, for the investigation that he would press for as soon as he got free. How dare this interloper come in here and assault a member of the Senate! The intruder continued, "The file from your notebook is quite interesting. The amount of criminal evidence here is astounding!" Cold fear began to grip the senator as he began to remember what was in that file. He began to get angry, "Who in hell do you think you are? I am a Senator, by God, and you will pay for this!"

"I think not, Senator," he said calmly. "I've photographed everything in this file, and I'm quite sure your voters will be very interested in your blatant criminality should this all come to light. They will surely be angry. Not to mention how your lovely wife will react when she sees the photos of you and those obliging young men back in New Orleans as they start showing up in social media.

A cold sweat began to break out between his shoulder blades as Dave thought of the photos. He mustered all the calm he could before he spoke again. "Only a coward would do something like this! Who are you?!" The man smiled and spoke very clearly, so there'd be no mistakes, "I am your new, and now your most important constituent." The tall man sat back in the chair, steepling his fingers, "Any questions, Senator?"

Rowell could only say, "What do you want from me? " The tall man smiled a feral smile and simply said, "We will be in touch, Senator, in the meantime, my associate will release you now. Please don't do anything rash." Dave heard someone moving behind him, and was startled when an exact duplicate of the man in the chair came around into view and cut away the duct ape with a straight razor. The two men went to the door, and he was shocked to see several more duplicates in the outer hall. The tall man turned as they were leaving, "As I said, we will be in touch." As the door began to close on that feral smile, Dave started to regret his life in politics.
© Copyright 2023 Vincent Coffin (vcoffin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2307907-The-New-Constituent