*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308384-Ultimatum
by fate
Rated: E · Article · Political · #2308384
We've tried doing nothing and pretending it's not a thing. Are we all out of ideas?
Behind closed doors were whispers of what will be best for us all. The numbers had been crunched. Wisdom was bestowed. At some point, there were people that decided that all of this was okay.
They must’ve been just whispers, for there are no echoes of the men who screamed why it must be so. Someone smarter than us all gave the heading for our way.

Surely.


What else could pardon this bystander effect at large? We rejoice in the aged filth and soot that’s caked upon us, smeared through our identity by our ancestors — Our culture, our currency, our love and our hate; all ripples abating from decisions made by those before us.

They knew better. They wrote it down. They chose our ways.
Our life is paved by their footsteps.
Our constructs are built by their hands.
Our notions are etchings of what spewed from their minds.
And they are gone.

We can never meet the instigators of who we are. They are memories of memories. Yet we revere the traditions and decisions made by these ghosts so readily, we have warped and misconstrued their identity into something greater than human.

They walked before us, scouting the path now gone.
Our screenlit world written under the dim glow of their candle.

Lore ≠ Law


While many of the attitudes of yore have been addressed — or just more readily acknowledged as something problematic — the consequences of a species flying at full speed with its eyes scrunched shut are still very real.

For all the good our ancestors have provided, we’ve inherited infinitely more constructs, traditions, genocides or near extinctions. We inherit war. Violence. Suffering.

All from the assumption that our ancient forefathers had insights greater than our own, had some magical insight into the trajectory of mankind, it’s growth in both population and technological advancements, and somehow knew what was best for all of us.

The image of our true ancestors whither in the reverence they are ordained. They were mere people, marching in the mud, making what life they could. Their greatest efforts would have them finish with what we start.

After we carved the statues of the ones that carried us here, we grew to see the guiding hand too rigid. Inflexible to the point of constraint, upheld by the people that still rush to defend these lifestyles and systems — holding fast to the ragged outlines of a life stabbed in the dark. Now; when we have access to the greatest wealth of knowledge mankind has collaboratively collated, heeding the words of our past ancestors is us turning our eyes from the low voltage, warm white LEDs that will last 10,000 hours, and squint back towards the flames dancing upon wicks in darker times, extinguished by the slightest change.

But the shadow we cast burns so much darker.

Unlike our ancestors, we do know.

And if this is anywhere close to the best that mankind can do while having access to such knowledge; Earth is doomed.

In truth, it doesn’t even feel like we’ve tried.

We all know the systems and structures designed by yesteryear are not working. The poorer get poorer, the suffering suffer. Meanwhile more and more people are being displaced by technological advancements and population growth —which should be considered good things.

Empty houses and homeless people. Multi-Billionaires and starving nations. Ceaseless pollution pouring into the atmosphere. Mountains of trash pouring into the ocean. All the while, we have our day jobs.

We’re snagged in a place of inaction fabricated by a system we built on the fly, forcing us to kill our host. The accessible, standard forms of existence in ‘modernised’ societies requires everyday people to actively participate in everyday geocide, powerless to stop themselves from contributing.

Those who have the power to change the system have no incentive to do so. They gain the most from keeping us on this path. Change for the better is not ideal for those who have been making profit from the worst.

Oil makes bank.
Stuff needs to be somewhere else.
Cows are edible.

It’s financially beneficial to destroy the planet. Not only is it easier and more immediately effective than harvesting renewable resources, the Earth’s resources are practically free for the taking. Corporations are practically encouraged to pilfer natural resources for quick dollars, without any consideration towards the ramifications.

For us to not destroy the planet, we’re going to have to start talking in terms of ‘saving the planet’, which sounds big and grandiose, but almost all changes required are grass-root level increments that can be enacted by locals making an effort to care for their local environment. It won’t be easy, comfortable, or profitable. But who can afford that?

For us to save the planet, we are going to have to confront our greatest weakness; being uncomfortable without profit.

There’s two versions of discomfort bearing down on humanity. One, where we sit back and let the agony come to us. It’s us; waiting for the problems to get out of hand. The other sees us embracing discomfort now, to avoid the greater impending issues.

If only our transition away from these destructive habits were even remotely tied to financial incentives or, dare I say, enjoyable. Sadly, it seems like the almighty dollar is the ball and chain preventing ethical living from becoming accessible to those already burdened with light wallets and suffocating calendars. The everyday folks find themselves trapped in a relentless struggle, unable to afford the changes needed to halt the destruction their lives unintentionally perpetuate, all while world leaders engage in futile debates about whether or not our planet is actually in peril.

Eco-friendly products, renewable energy sources, and sustainable lifestyles come with a premium that many cannot afford. It’s as if the very act of doing right by our planet has been monetized, turning it into a luxury for the privileged few.

For the majority of us, our daily lives are a whirlwind of work, bills, and responsibilities that leave us with little time or resources to invest in the environmental consciousness we so desperately need. We’re caught in a bind where the demands of modern life force us to contribute to the very problems we aim to solve.

Meanwhile, the global stage is a theatre of indecision. World leaders, entrusted with the fate of our planet, engage in endless debates, political posturing, and finger-pointing. While the evidence of environmental crisis mounts, they seem more preoccupied with preserving their positions and appeasing powerful interests than taking decisive action.

It’s a disheartening paradox. On one hand, ordinary people are constrained by the financial shackles of eco-conscious living, unable to break free from the cycle of consumption and waste. On the other, those in power appear paralyzed by their inability to deny the large handouts from lobbyists. Even when they’ll barely live long enough to benefit from the extra cash they stash, they still set our course towards long term consequences for only their shortest-term benefit.

The age of the wise elder has withered away. Those who hold the reins of power seem adrift in a sea of technology they barely comprehend. With technological innovations emerging at a dizzying pace, we need technologically capable leaders at the helm. They are like grandparents trying to figure out the latest smartphone, except the stakes are much higher. They make decisions about data privacy, cybersecurity, and the regulation of emerging technologies without truly understanding the intricacies of these domains.

The disconnect between those in power and the tech they’re trying to control is glaring. It’s as if they’re playing a game of catch-up, constantly reacting to developments they can’t predict. This gap widens with each new breakthrough, each algorithmic advance, and every disruptive innovation that reshapes our society.

In their ivory towers, they debate policies and regulations that affect the lives of billions, often guided by lobbyists and special interests rather than a deep understanding of the technology they’re overseeing, while barely grasping the concept of a hashtag.

Meanwhile, those on the ground, the digital natives and tech-savvy innovators, are light-years ahead, shaping the future in ways our leaders can only hope to comprehend. They wield the power to revolutionize industries, disrupt traditional norms, and reshape our world, all while the political elite struggle to send an email without assistance.

So, as we ponder the decisions made by those in charge, it’s essential to recognize that they’re often operating in a fog of ignorance, stumbling through the digital landscape like lost wanderers. In an age where knowledge is power, our leaders find themselves on the wrong side of the information divide, and the consequences are far-reaching.

This isn’t just a matter of policy or governance; it’s a reflection of a broader societal challenge. We’re in a race against time, where the pace of technological change is relentless, and those who should be steering the ship are struggling to keep it on course — all while the world they built is turning to shit. It’s a precarious, self-inflicted situation; one that demands a reckoning with the realities of leadership in the digital age. Especially given the ways in which emerging technologies can help aid in resolving the climate crisis.
Some suggestions for change

Tech Literacy Requirements: Mandatory tech literacy test for anyone in a governmental position of power. If you’re making decisions about algorithms, data privacy, and digital security, you better know your stuff.

Tech Advisory Panels: Even the digitally literate might not have the greatest breadth of knowledge on every facet of tech, cyber-security and innovation, and having a committed team will help keep the elected officials informed.

Citizen Engagement: Capacity for citizens to be involved in policies through crowdsourcing and public consultations.

Earth Account: Whenever non-renewable resources are harvested from the Earth, a stipend is paid into the Earth Account. This fee gradually increases, and the money goes towards establishing renewable resource farms, revegetation efforts, environmental education and cleaning up the mess people have made of things here.

Carbon Capture and Utilization (CCU): Invest in cutting-edge carbon capture technologies that not only reduce emissions but also convert captured carbon into valuable products. This includes using CO2 to create carbon-neutral fuels, construction materials, or even carbon-negative products.

Smart Grids and Microgrids: Implement advanced smart grid technologies that enable real-time monitoring and management of energy distribution. Microgrids, supported by AI and IoT devices, can enhance grid resilience and promote renewable energy integration.

Precision Agriculture and AI Farming: Implement precision agriculture techniques that use AI and IoT sensors to optimize farming practices. This reduces resource wastage, improves crop yields, and minimizes the environmental impact of agriculture. Free-range herds of cattle benefit the soil greater than keeping them confined to one place, where it turns to dust and washes away. With GPS and additional probably-not-yet-existent-but-easy-enough-to-do cow protection tech, cattle could be allowed to migrate, which prevents topsoil runoff and actually benefits the environment wherever they go.

Biotechnology for Sustainable Materials: Invest in biotechnology to develop sustainable materials, such as lab-grown proteins for food, biodegradable plastics, and textiles made from algae or fungi.

Ocean Cleanup and Plastic Recycling Tech: Support advanced technologies for ocean cleanup and plastic recycling. Innovations like autonomous drones and robots can help remove plastic waste from oceans more efficiently.

Litter-to-waterways intervention: Almost all trash that makes it to the ocean is coming off roads, being washed down storm drains and into waterways. Alongside efforts to minimise and redefine trash (making it biodegradable, etc), efforts need to be made to ensure no further trash is making its way into the water systems.

Volunteering as a lifestyle choice: Removing the monopoly of money should be the ultimate objective. A form of new currency can exist, but it needs to value life, environment & giving, instead of death, destruction & taking. This can be accomplished by providing all the necessities for volunteers and then providing them with a token currency as they volunteer, to purchase anything beyond those base requirements. After an allotted period of time — say 6 months — the tokens expire. This prevents anything being worth more than ~6 months worth of active volunteering. Maybe one day we can move towards Universal Basic Income, but amendments to the Earth should be made first.
Power ≠ People

Who am I to tout these notions? What gives me the right to tell others how to live? In the context of capitalism, I’m a loser. I’m not rich. I’m not accomplished. I’m not renowned or famous. However; the winners of a system that only benefits the Takers, I’m okay with losing. Perhaps you should be okay listening to such a Loser, especially given that, statistically speaking, you’re probably a loser too, right? The thing is, there’s a lot of losers in this system, as the system requires losers to function.

It needs the unemployed so there’s desperation to work. The homeless are a small price to pay for an inflated property market. The gears, cogs and oil of this great machine are the powerless losers, and while some people might be fine with that, the struggle for me is that, for a few years, I’ve been sitting on this great big action plan for how we could guide ourselves out of this mess.

It’s frustrating having a vision where innovation, sustainability, and humans are able to coexist, where we harness the power of tech to heal the wounds we’ve inflicted on our planet. Where the mundane tasks being replaced by tech advancements aren’t a threat to someone’s job security but an alleviation to be rejoiced. Inaction is a thorn in my side, and every day I sit on my hands, it digs deeper. I tried to get a charity off the ground a few years ago, but I didn’t have access to the recent innovations back then. With the more recent advents in AI, I — like many creators — have become immensely powerful.

But it doesn’t mean saving the world is going to be easy, and I’m still not going to be able to do it alone. Regardless of whether it’s this mission or another, it’s time all of us started contributing more back to the planet in whatever way we can, through whatever slivers of free time we can afford in this soulless machine.

It’s going to take grit, determination, and a willingness to step out of our comfort zones. We’re at a pivotal moment in history, and the responsibility to shape a better future rests not only on the shoulders of leaders and policymakers but on each one of us.

We must be proactive, unafraid to embrace discomfort, and ready to be part of the solution. It starts with educating ourselves, demanding transparency, and holding those in power accountable for their actions. It’s about supporting and championing the latest tech innovations that can pave the way for a sustainable world.

The clock is ticking, and our planet’s challenges are mounting. As we grapple with the consequences of inaction, it becomes increasingly clear that we can no longer rely solely on outdated systems and leaders who struggle to keep up with the pace of change. We, the innovators and tech-savvy individuals, must seize the opportunity to shape a brighter future.

We, the losers — failures for not participating in the hoarding of resources at the expense of everything else — especially those who have a working comprehension of recent advancements and what can be accomplished with them — are now far more powerful than any of the governing dinosaurs. Now is the time to capture this fleeting step ahead.

Cities are made of buildings, streets, and people, and all of those things can be changed. It’s a lot easier to alter things before the first brick is even laid, but, as you may have noticed, things have already gotten a bit of a head-start, and unfortunately almost everything so far has been built in the wrong direction. Terrible roads between buildings that are far too spaced out, bleeding into every nook and cranny nature can yield until its suffocated and suffering. Something needs to change, and I guess it will have to start with you and me.

I request we make an effort. Let’s go out into the world and identify these mistakes, and make them known. Complain about insufficient footpaths to the council. Write python scripts that email a different local representative each day about having more tree plantings in your area, or cleaning up waterways. Get ChatGPT to write an email for your heads of state citing concerns about top-soil runoff, or lack of action against the ever-mounting storm.

Our voices, our actions, and our commitment to sustainability are the driving forces that can propel us out of this mess, leveraging rapidly advancing technology and a growing community of pro-active movers and shakers. The time for change is now, and while the path may be uncomfortable, it’s a journey worth embarking on. Take action. Make change. Help save the world one decision at a time.
© Copyright 2023 fate (fate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308384-Ultimatum