*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308856-The-Twin
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2308856
A short story about my doppelganger.
The Twin
Written by Devin


Have you ever had a moment that made your heart skip a beat and left you questioning your sanity? A certain moment that makes you uneasy, or queasy? A moment when life becomes slowed down and time stops all around you? I have, and it was the day I came face-to-face with my doppelganger. I will never forget the way it looked at me and smiled ever so slowly, it was inhuman.


It was a typical day, and I was lost in my thoughts, walking down the street when I caught a glimpse of myself in a store window. But it wasn't just a reflection; it was someone who looked exactly like me. The resemblance was so uncanny that it stopped me in my tracks, and I felt a mix of confusion and fear.


My doppelganger was walking away when I turned around to face them, and I followed them to a park. As we stood there, dumbfounded, staring in disbelief, it was like looking into a mirror but with someone on the other side. Then it ran full speed at me with its arms outstretched and two seconds before it got me, it disappeared.


But things started to get strange as we spent more time together. People would mistake us for each other, and sometimes even our closest loved ones couldn't tell us apart. It was like we were two halves of the same person, living separate lives.


I tried to distance myself from my doppelganger, but it was impossible. We were drawn to each other like magnets. And the feeling that there was something ominous about the entire situation never left me, no matter how much I tried to deny it.


In the end, I never found out who my doppelganger was or how they came to look so much like me. But the memory of that eerie and unsettling encounter stayed with me for years to come, haunting me like a phantom from another realm.


Sometimes, I wonder if there are parallel universes where we exist as different versions of ourselves, leading similar but still different lives. Maybe my doppelganger was a glimpse into one of those universes, or maybe it was just a strange and inexplicable coincidence. But the experience definitely made me question the limits of reality and what lies beyond our understanding.


In the days and weeks that followed, I found myself constantly on edge, wondering if my doppelganger would show up again. Even though I never saw them again, the memory of that encounter still lingers in my mind, and I can't help but wonder if there are others out there who have had similar experiences.


Perhaps, there's a scientific explanation for doppelgangers, or maybe it's just a strange and unexplainable phenomenon. My double, the other me, is something everyone else seemed to forget after it disappeared. No one remembered the incident, but I did. It was like it erased their memories. Whatever the case may be, that encounter left an indelible mark on my psyche, and it's a story that I'll never forget.



© Copyright 2023 Kaya Rechelle Zerwis (xxcharleighxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308856-The-Twin