*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309808-Mystery-Science-Theater-3000
by Handle
Rated: E · Article · Mystery · #2309808
Joel Hodgson's MST3K Revival & Future Plans Explored

"Reviving 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' and Charting a Future Path"


Reviving__Mystery_Science_Theater_3000__and_Charting_a_Future_Path.docx_html_680c93c8.jpg


The creator of "Mystery Science Theater 3000," Joel Hodgson, known for his low-key approach, is rallying support for the show's ongoing crowdfunding campaign. Despite his aversion to hard selling, Hodgson passionately encourages fans to contribute, highlighting the opportunity to pay forward the joy of discovering the series for others.

Hodgson emphasized the impact of the show's resurgence, initially reviving the series via Netflix and establishing a dedicated streaming platform, The Gizmoplex. The current crowdfunding campaign aims to raise $4 million for a fourteenth season of riffing on cult movies, culminating in the Super Turkey Day Marathon Pledge Drive, showcasing favorites from the show's history.

Reflecting on the emotional culmination of these campaigns, Hodgson admitted uncertainty about reaching their funding goals. Nevertheless, the potential success of this campaign marks a departure from the previous season, which faced production challenges due to COVID-19 restrictions. The absence of physical sets hampered the live, three-dimensional experience integral to the show's host segments, which Hodgson believes are most effective in a genuine, in-camera setup.

The upcoming season, if funded, promises a return to sets and a shift in hosting roles, with Hodgson stepping back as the original test subject, Joel Robinson, while Jonah Ray and Emily Marsh take on the hosting duties. Despite Hodgson's reduced on-screen presence, the show's essence and connection to its roots remain paramount.

In a nod to the show's origins, the crowdfunding announcement revealed plans to tackle "Plan 9 from Outer Space," long considered one of the worst films ever made. Hodgson initially questioned the lack of creative utilization of such "cute" films, paving the way for the show's unique riffing on cinematic disasters.

Reviving__Mystery_Science_Theater_3000__and_Charting_a_Future_Path.docx_html_8692381.jpg

While Hodgson acknowledges stepping back from his leadership role, he expresses confidence in the show's future, having entrusted younger talents with its direction and development. As the torch passes to a new generation of performers and crew, Hodgson's intent to step away from the project he launched in 1988 becomes apparent.

The campaign's success would pave the way for the riffing of films like "Plan 9," "Deathsport," "Battle Beyond the Stars," "Ballistica," "Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe," and "Battlecruiser." Hodgson anticipates starting production on season 14 in January, with episodes potentially premiering in late summer or early fall of 2024.

Hodgson's journey with "Mystery Science Theater 3000" has evolved, and as he envisions passing the reins to a new creative force, his passion for the show's legacy and future remains steadfast. The campaign stands as a testament to the enduring appeal and cultural significance of this iconic series.

Written By Maliye Nkhoma


© Copyright 2023 Handle (maliye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309808-Mystery-Science-Theater-3000