*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309821-A-Most-Precious-Gift
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2309821
A physical gift goes wrong and teaches me some of the most valuable lessons of all.
One of the most cherished gifts I've ever received taught me a valuable lesson. Of course, I wouldn't realize it, at least fully, until a few years later.

Daddy always made our Christmas wonderful with a room full of delightful gifts. So to say we were spoiled at Christmas is an understatement.

Back then we had a big family and would open all of the wrapped presents from everyone on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas morning, all of us kids would receive presents from Santa Claus. They would fill over half of the big living room.

I had a huge wrapped gift under the tree from my aunt. It made all kinds of noise when I gently shook it. It was wrapped in colorful paper, with a criss-cross ribbon and a big red bow. I was nine-and-a-half years old, and my curiosity and imagination were going wild. I couldn't imagine what this wonderful present could be. But what I did know is it was sure to be one of the most fabulous I've ever received!

When Christmas Eve finally arrived, and the family was over, the magical time of opening our gifts was at last here! With eager anticipation, I grabbed the huge box with my eyes wide, and my smile even wider. I was finally going to find out what this most secretive, mystery present was! Stripping the paper from its hidden container didn't hint at what lay inside. I yanked open the cardboard box top, and inside ... inside lay a jumble of silver metal. It was a big wire basket for my bike. The rattling was all of the fixings to attach this ugly, monstrous basket to my beautiful, stream-lined five-speed. All of the excited anticipation came crashing down hard! I slammed the box down, got up, and ran out of the room! I was disappointed, mad, and sad. How could all go wrong, so fast?

If you knew my dad, you'd know this was an overload of enough ammunition to get a belt-whipping. And believe me. Dad's belt whippings were nothing to sneeze at. You didn't come away without tons of tears and marks.

I don't exactly remember what happened right after. It may be that I'm blocking it out. But I do remember the harsh words and looks that came from every single adult. More than that, I remember the hurt and embarrassment in my aunt's face.

I acted like a total brat. An unthankful brat.

See, I was the one who mentioned I wanted a basket for my bike. And how do I thank her? By making her feel horrible. My excitement over the gift made her excitement for me opening it, grow. My reaction was enough to hurt everyone there that night in some form. I brought BUH-HUMBUG to my family's Christmas Eve. But most of all I brought pain to others, and shame to my father and me.

That Christmas I learned humility. I learned thankfulness and appreciation for all who take their precious time trying to find someone a gift that will bring them both a smile – no matter how big or small that gift is. I learned empathy and compassion.

The Christmas that I received the most disappointing present of my young life, even fifty years later, has taught me the most important lessons of all.

That's why it will always be the most precious gift I have ever received.

(568 Words)

Written for "The Bard's Hall Contest [13+]
© Copyright 2023 intuey of House Lannister (intuey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309821-A-Most-Precious-Gift