*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309913-Strong-man-and-the-woman
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2309913
A story of admiration
Strong man and the woman
He sits at the table watching her read, she concentrates hard on her work while he drinks coffee and pretends not to be amazed at how beautiful she is. A lazy Sunday morning for him, a busy Monday work day for her. He sees in her expression a million things running through her head. In the next five minutes she will process more than he will the rest of the day. He wonders to himself how she does it, how can she keep up this pace, they are so different.
He is reminded of a travelling carnival he once watched as a young boy. The woman proprietor was a tall beautiful dark haired woman. Not only was she the manager but she was involved in a number of the attractions. Her husband was the strong man, tall, thick and quiet. He would perform his feats of strength for the crowd and then disappear into the bleachers to watch his wife. She was electrifying, a dizzying exhibit of motion and mesmeric personality. No one could take their eyes off her, the strong man must have watched the show a thousand times but not a soul more captivated than him. She would sing and dance, perform magic and juggle, breath fire and play with lions. The last act was her climbing a ladder to the top of the tent and "flying through the air with the greatest of ease" an aerial acrobat on the trapeze. Afterwards all the performers gathered in the middle of the ring, bowed and waved to the cheering crowd. The strong man and the woman held each other and you could tell she loved her tender giant and he worshipped his whirling tempest.
A frown crosses her face, something she reads has her confused, he knows not to enquire, she will figure it out before he even asks the question. He stands and goes to the kitchen, makes up a plate of fruits and cheeses and a fresh cup of hot coffee. He sets the plate and coffee on the table next to her, brushes the hair away from her ear bends down and whispers "eat baby" then kisses the back of her neck. He notices goose flesh appear on her neck and shoulders, hears a very soft moan from her lips and feels the tense muscles of her upper back let go and relax. She doesn't look up or stop working but smiles harmoniously and says "Thank you"
He sits back in his chair, picks up a magazine and pretends to read, his eyes alternating between the pages and her. His mind once again thrown back to the mesmerized look on the strong man's face as he watched his wife, as if nothing else in the world mattered. He wonders if he has the same look on his face while watching her work. Is he the strong man?
He puts down the magazine and leans a little closer towards her and asks, " hey beautiful, can I lift something heavy for you today?"
She looks up for the first time since starting her paper work with a perplexed smile on her face. "What do you mean?" she says.
"Oh nothing, I just want to lift a heavy weight for you today, to help lighten your load."
"baby, you already have, you lighten my load every day. If I didn't have you to lean on I wouldn't make it."
She looks back down at her work and continues, and he watches.








© Copyright 2023 Port Lariat (guydickie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2309913-Strong-man-and-the-woman