*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310066-The-December-Promise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2310066
Amazing things happen in December.
In the heart of a small, snow-kissed village, there lay a quaint house with ivy creeping up its walls, framing the windows like nature's own holiday decorations. Inside this home, a young girl named Clara watched the snowflakes dance outside, each one a tiny ballerina in the grand winter ballet. The December air was filled with a festive spirit, but Clara's heart was clouded with sadness. This year, her father, a soldier, couldn't make it home for Christmas.

On the mantle, an old photograph of her father, dressed in uniform with a warm smile, seemed to watch over the room. Next to it, the family's Christmas tree stood tall, adorned with heirloom ornaments and twinkling lights, a beacon of tradition and hope in the dimly lit room.

One snowy evening, as Clara sat by the window, a soft knock came at the door. When she opened it, there stood an old woman, her eyes twinkling like stars in the night sky. "I'm Mrs. Winter," she said, her voice as gentle as a lullaby. "I heard your wish for your father to be home this Christmas."

Clara's eyes widened in surprise. "But how?" she asked.

"Magic is strongest in December," Mrs. Winter replied with a mysterious smile. "Write a letter to your father, pour all your love and wishes into it, and place it under your pillow tonight."

Though skeptical, Clara's heart swelled with a glimmer of hope. That night, she wrote earnestly, each word a testament to her love and longing. As she placed the letter under her pillow, her eyelids grew heavy, and she drifted into a dream-filled sleep.

The next morning, Clara awoke to the sound of familiar laughter downstairs. Rubbing her eyes, she rushed to the living room. There, in front of the Christmas tree, stood her father, his arms wide open. Overjoyed, Clara ran into his embrace, tears of happiness streaming down her face.

"How?" she managed to ask between sobs.

"A sudden change in orders," her father explained, his eyes shining with unshed tears. "It's our own little Christmas miracle."

As they sat together, the house filled with warmth and laughter, Clara knew that this was a holiday she would never forget. Outside, the snow continued to fall, each flake a silent witness to the magic of the December promise.
© Copyright 2023 WriterRick (rick12221 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2310066-The-December-Promise