*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311035-Return-to-Snowflake-Village
Rated: E · Fiction · Supernatural · #2311035
Hector and Daphne seek paranormal experiences and didn't know when to stop.
Return to Snowflake Village





Hector often wondered why Daphne kept her apprehension so close. It wasn't like her at all. She, along with Hector, held a fascination about haunted places. Both had experienced many odd coincidences and sightings during their travels around the southeastern United States, and Daphne was as fearless as he. Hector expected she'd enjoy a homecoming, of sorts, since Daphne was born and raised in Montgomery, Alabama, but that wasn't the case.


She confided in him and stated her history in Montgomery wasn't very pleasant, but she rose above the drugs and crime and got the hell out of there once she turned eighteen. Her return visits to see her family were few, but her and Hector's return this time was not to visit her family, but to stay overnight at the renovated Snowflake Village Restaurant and Bar. Six hotel rooms on the second floor used to be open to the public when the building was originally built in 1920, but the hospitality portion of the business shut down four years later, and for good reason.


"Come on, Daphne," Hector said. "You'll be close to home and with me. I think it's time to face what's worrying you about that place."


"You know I don't want to go back there," Daphne pleaded. "I'll go anywhere but there. That's how I got involved in all this paranormal stuff in the first place, but what happened there was too much."


"You keep saying that, but you never told me. What scared you when you were a teenager?"


"I hate talking about it because everyone thinks I'm crazy."


"We've been doing this for five years. Have I ever called you crazy?"


Daphne looked off into a distance corner of their hotel room.


"Alright. Me and three of my friends used to go and hangout in that courtyard behind that restaurant. The place was abandoned back then. It had been abandoned for so long. Boarded up and broken windows, graffiti everywhere. You know, like the rest of the neighborhood where I grew up. Anyway, we'd go back there and smoke cigarettes and to stay away from adults. We usually went there during the day, because at night, the thugs would come out. It was pretty dangerous some nights.


"Anyway, we went there at night one time and sat at one of the iron-wrought tables in the courtyard. My friend Clyde started coughing really hard after inhaling some smoke, and he pointed to the second floor of that building. When we turned around to see what he was pointing at, something stood there. It was like a shadow with large wings that had form and substance, and it floated along the second floor. It didn't have any feet. It was just a shadow, and it knew we were there. My friends took pictures of it, but it never showed up in them. Then it floated back in front of us, and a window shattered. We took off and never went back."


"That's wild. I wish you would have told me about it long time ago."


"But that's not all. That's just my story. Other people around there say it's haunted. You already know the legend about the Snowflake Village and the dream catcher, don't you?"


"Yeah. The dream catcher was the focal point of the restaurant when it was built, but it was accidentally destroyed. And then, I think a month later, the restaurant owner was found dead on the second floor."


"Yep, that's right, and the four subsequent owners were found dead on the second floor, too. The restaurant shut down for good in 1928 because everyone was too scared to visit."


Hector replied, "But everything's different now. You know they gentrified your old neighborhood. The Snowflake has been reopened, and they've opened up a single room on the second floor for people to stay overnight. This is a chance to face your fear."


"I don't know. I need to think about it some more," Daphne said as she took a seat on the bed.


Hector craved to see what she'd saw, if it was still there. Their experiences so far convinced him that something otherworldly existed, but the lore behind Snowflake Village couldn't be ignored. Locally, the neighbors believed an evil spirit entered the original building when the dream catcher was destroyed, and its that same spirit which killed the restaurant owners. If Daphne and her friends believed they saw it, he wanted to see it too, but he never figured Daphne would be so opposed to it. He believed it would be a nice surprise homecoming for her.


She'd mentioned how tough life was growing up in that neighborhood only a few times, but that subject was seldom mentioned after that. Hector felt this opened up a host of wounds for Daphne. Returning home is hard, if not impossible sometimes. Hector hailed from the Seattle, and once he left the wet city, he never went back, for his own reasons.


Their stay at the Pickwick Hotel in Birmingham turned out to be a bust. The ghostly nurse that haunts it never came out to play, at least not with them. If Daphne agreed to return to Montgomery, it was just a short trip south where they could stay at the Snowflake overnight, then head back home to Florida. They were heading in that direction anyway.


Checkout time was nearing and Hector needed an answer.


"Daphne, I don't want to press you, but I need to know if I'm going to be driving for ninety minutes or seven hours."


"Do you really want to see that thing?" she asked. Hector remained quiet. "I know you do. I see it in your eyes. I think this thing might try to hurt us." Hector continued to listen. "Hector, that shadow knew we were there. It knew, and it didn't want us there."


"I get it, but I know I'll never be able to understand it. Not like you do. It's up to you. I just want to know how long I'll be driving so I know how much gas to buy." Daphne never took her eyes off him. He narrowed his eyes, then said, "What?"


"Don't leave me alone in that hotel room. You promise?" she pleaded.


The tone of her request took him by surprise. "Ah...yeah. Of course, I won't leave you alone. You can everywhere I go. You can even join me in the bathroom, if you want. But that totally up to you."


Daphne's nose crinkled after Hector's last offer. "No thank you. You do that on your own." A smile appeared on her face, and Hector responded likewise. It was nice to see a smile on her face again.


*****



"I swear I don't recognize this place anymore," Daphne commented as they drove down Montgomery's Jackson Blvd on a cloudy October morning. For Hector, the place was just as foreign, but it was obvious how the neighborhood had changed. Specialty stores and businesses crowded the streets. There were even tables and chairs in front of a few. "When I lived here, that would be impossible," she said.


"The neighborhood looks good. I see why people are attracted to it," Hector said. He still couldn't read if Daphne was pleased or not. He knew he had to keep his true reason for staying in the hotel hidden. He'd read up on the Snowflake's history many times and was convinced something supernatural lived on the second floor. It just happened that Daphne was from that area and convincing her to return was his goal. "I think we're getting close to the restaurant now." Hector's eyes scanned the street signs and spotted the hotel off to the left. He cruised into the left-hand turning lane then turned into the parking lot. Daphne remained quiet once he spotted the restaurant, and he wasn't sure what that meant.


"It's still there," Daphne said.


"What?"


"The courtyard. It still has table and chairs, and the hotel has their Christmas theme going." She opened her door, and Hector followed suit. They strolled toward the courtyard where a sparse number of iron-wrought tables and chairs were occupied by diners. Hector spotted the large plump snowman off to his left, and he agreed with Daphne. It was October. Why have a Christmas theme up so early.


White Christmas lights circled the trees and were strung around the entire exterior of the building. The white, equally spaced square columns between the first and second floors gave the building a southern charm, reminiscent of New Orleans' French Quarter buildings. Then Hector caught sight of the iron-wrought railing surrounding the second floor. That's where Daphne saw her shadow. He turned to confirm it with her, but her eyes were already on the railing. He remained quiet.


They entered the restaurant and stopped at the host station off to the right. The smells inside made his hungry. Soft talking and clinking silverware could be heard behind him.


The male host smiled and said, "Can I help you?"


"Yes. I'm Hector Sutton, and I made a reservation to stay on the second floor tonight." Hector noted the name pin on the guy shirt: Justin.


"Really? So, you're the ones. I was told to look out for you. I'll get the manager. There's some paperwork you need to fill out."


"Paperwork?" Daphne asked.


"Yes, paperwork," the male host responded.


"What paperwork is he talking about, Hector?"


"It's disclaimer stuff basically saying if somebody gets injured, the restaurant will not be responsible for any financial repercussions."


"Has everybody done this?"


"I don't know. I don't know anyone who's stayed here."


"I don't know about this, Hector." Her worried expression caused him concern.


"Look, we're already here. Nobody knows your back in town. We have food right here, and over there is the bar. We can just chill down here, have some drinks and east some good food. We could sit inside or out." He hoped it would be outside so she could show him where she saw the shadow."


"I think I'm going to need the bar tonight," Daphne said. Hector smiled.


The male host came back with the female manager. The manager held a curious look as if she wondered why they would want to stay overnight on the second floor. "Hello. I'm Amy," the manager said. "So, you want to stay here overnight?"


"Yes, we do," Hector said.


"Umm...your companion doesn't share your enthusiasm. Have you heard about the hotel's history?"


"Yes, I've read about," Hector answered.


"Good. Anyway, here's a pamphlet explaining the hotel's history, and the lore about the second floor. Also, here's some paperwork you both must sign releasing us from any liability should something happen."


"Has anything ever happened recently?"


The manager's face froze. She took a deep breath, let it out slowly, then said softly, "No one has been on the second floor since the building was renovated. You'll be the first. We installed a door at the top of the stairs and keep it locked. I did unlock it this morning to make sure everything was ready in your room. The door is unlocked right now and will remain unlocked until after you leave. Oh, and one more thing. The restaurant and bar close at ten o'clock promptly. If you need something, get it before ten. After that, you two will be the only people left inside."


"Wait. Nobody else will be here?" Daphne asked.


"I'm sorry, dear, but no. We make sure were out of the restaurant by ten."


"Is there a reason for that?" Hector asked.


"Yes," the manager said without making eye contact. "It's sort of an homage to the legend surrounding the hotel. It brings in visitors." Hector felt she was hiding something.


"Oh. Okay." Hector signed the paperwork, but Daphne took her time and read it before signing.


"Looks like that's it then," the manager said. "I have the key to your door. Follow me."


They followed the manager around the corner and small corridor. At the top of the stairs sat a heavy wooden door which looked out of place for the dor. The manager started up the stairs, and Hector waved his hand for Daphne to go first, but she declined. He followed the manager with Daphne behind him. They passed through the door and spotted six doors along the vacant hallway, three on each side. No paintings or decorations adorned the walls. The paint was an unflattering flat pale green. The manager opened the door to the room nearest the staircase.


Hector could tell it had been prepared quickly. It was comfortable enough, but no coffee machine or refrigerator. There was a television, a microwave, and a comfortable looking bed. The small couch was a nice touch.


The manager said, "I hope this is comfortable enough. We had to move some things around. If you need anything, just go down to Justin. He'll take care of you."


"Thank you. This is nice," Hector said. Daphne remained quiet.


"Oh, make sure you try our food. I know you'll love it," the manager added before waving and exiting the room.


"Well, what do you think?" Hector asked.


"It's not the Taj Mahal. That's for sure," Daphne said with folded arms.


"No, it's not, but we're here. Let's get our stuff from the car, store it up here then hit the bar. They're supposed to have very good food. Did you smell that when we came inside?"


"Yeah, it smelled good. Let's just bring our stuff up here and go to the bar. I need liquor."


Hector noticed numerous odd stares from patrons as the exited and reentered the restaurant.


Upon returning to their room, Justin knocked on their door jamb. Hector stopped unpacking and gazed over to him.


"Hi, again," Justin said with hesitation. "Umm...my manager told you about the ten o'clock deadline, didn't she?"


"Yes. We know all about it."


"There's another reason why we close everything at that time. Me, as well as others who work here, have heard strange sounds up here after ten o'clock. Even the manager as heard it. That's why no one else is here after that time."


"Didn't anyone ever check it out?" Daphne asked.


Justin's eyes widened. "No! No way! Besides, the door up here is always locked. I just wanted to let you know." Justin checked both sides of the hallway before saying, "I'm leaving. Oh, all the other rooms are locked. Good luck." Justin disappeared from their doorway.


"I don't like this, Hector," Daphne said.


"I don't know. Maybe they're trying to scare us," he replied.


"They're doing a damn good job of it," she complained.


*****



After settling in, they visited the restaurant and ordered some food followed by a few mixed drinks. Next, they took their drinks out to the courtyard and took a seat at one of the tables. The alcohol had loosened Daphnie's mouth, and she began telling tales of her life growing up in that neighborhood, even pointing to where she spotted the shadow on the second floor. Hector noticed the double doors leading to the second-floor balcony. He'd have to take a stroll out there this evening.


Around eight-thirty, Justin approached them and said, "Excuse me, if you want food to eat later tonight, you should order it now. The same goes for your drinks."


Now, Hector understood that when the workers left or the day, they'll be alone. Both ordered food, and Hector added at a bottle of brandy. If something appeared to them tonight, he and Daphne could toast to their success. He also hoped the alcohol would quell Daphne's anxiety, as well.


Around nine-thirty, while returning to their room, Justin stopped them and said, "The door at the top of the stairs won't lock tonight, but the doors down here do, and the same goes to the doors leading to the balcony. Once you go out, you can't get back in unless someone is inside. I hope you enjoy your night. You're braver than I am."


Another ominous message. If it was real or an act, the workers pulled it off enough to ratchet up Daphne's fear again. They returned to their room and watched television with few words spoken until they heard shuffling downstairs. They muted the television. The sounds of everyone exiting the building were heard followed by a deep silence. Hector noted the time: nine-fifty-five.


Hector snatched up the pamphlet and discovered the hours between eleven and three in the morning were considered the restaurant's witching hours. Hector planned on visiting the balcony after eleven and hoped Daphne would join him.


After he and Daphne finished another drink, he checked his watch: eleven-seventeen. "Daphne, let's go out to the balcony."


"No. I don't want to see anything out there."


"It's okay. You've never seen the view from up here. You have to check it out."


"No, I don't. You go. You're the one who wants to see something."


Hector was in no mood to argue. He exited the room, leaving the room door open, and made sure the double-doors leading out to the balcony were locked open. The view was much nicer than he thought. The Christmas lights encircling the trees and branches, and the exterior lights beneath the veranda, illuminated the courtyard with a soft glow. A whitish glow covered the ground where the large snowman sat. He never figured they'd actually illuminate it tonight.


He scanned the balcony for anything odd but saw nothing.


A door slam shut.


He turned. The double doors were still open.


Time to check on Daphne.


As he entered the double-doors, he noticed the door to their room was shut. Daphne couldn't be that mad, could she?


He turned the room door's handle and pushed.


A winged shadow stood over Daphne's clawed, bloody body.


Hector screamed, "DAPHNE!"


The shadow turned, it's yellow eyes piercing Hector. With spread wings, it pounced at him with claws bared.




THE END



January A
Word Count: 2994






























© Copyright 2023 Pernell Rogers (arogers270 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311035-Return-to-Snowflake-Village