*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311274-Flight-363
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2311274
A short story about going to space.
"It’s weird how I can say I’m on the moon, well, without lying of course.” My partner, Artemis, exclaimed as I pushed back into my seat.

“Wait, that’s funny,” I said. Artemis looked back and raised his right eyebrow. “Your name kind of predicted your fate as an astronaut! Artemis…” I said,

"Well, it makes sense; my mom was a volunteer; on December 20th, 2023, she went to the moon and never came back. But anyway.” Artemis said,

“Yeah… Wait, why’d you change the subject?” I said.

“I just don’t really like to talk about it; it was kind of a freak accident.” He looked at me and said, Carmen, my ‘On-the-ground-servant’ called,

“Reporting in for flight number 363, Jordan, Artemis. How ‘ya doing?” Carmen said,

“Ah! Finally, someone can talk to her!” Artemis said, and I lightly hit him on the arm.

“You lovebirds! Haha, it’s cute!” Carmen said, Me and him snapped our necks to each other.

“Lovebirds?! We. Are. Just. Colleagues!” We said in sync, but, over the years, we had developed feelings for each other.

“Haha, it proves itself! Anyway, how is it? First time going to the moon, especially for Jordan!” Carmen said,

Carmen always liked to point out if it was the first time for something; she was the stereotypical Latina girl, so I can’t really blame her. I’m not much better; I’m the stereotypical white girl.

“Well, obviously this is being recorded for an interview or something. So, I’ll just say, it’s so cool! But, in all honesty, I’d much rather be down there with my family.” I said,

“Alrighty, I’ll leave you two, but I need yesterday’s data on the status reports.” Carmen said,

“Data?!” Artemis said, elbow-deep in a container of peanut butter.

“And I have to spend 5 more days with this guy!” I said,

(Four days later, 10:43 P.M.)

“All packed up?” I said,

“Does a moth fly to the light?” Artemis said.

“Just tell me, do you think I’m smart enough to understand that?” I said.

“Yeah, I am packed, but how’d you get into Harvard?” He cleverly answered,

“Whatever… I didn’t go to Harvard!” I practically yelled,

“I can tell!” Artemis uttered before he burst out laughing.

I rolled my eyes, and sat there. I wondered how my ex-best friend would think of me, ‘Would she like me now? Would I be better? If she knew I would be an astronaut, would she still talk bad about me? Would she have her friend say that? Could I have helped the situation?’ I sat there, until I needed to sleep.

(One day later, 9:43 A.M.)

“Jordan, can you believe five days went that fast? Me neither!” Artemis asked, he wasn’t really expecting an answer.

“Yeah… Do you wonder what happens?” I asked, my mind was really stuck on the best friend stuff.

“What do you mean?” He asked,

“Like stuff you can’t really answer, like if someone would like you.” I said

“Yeah…” He said as something fell from the roof,

“What was that?!” I shouted, I looked back and a screw fell.

“Jordan! Artemis! Carmen, Carmen here! Y’all know Liam?” Cam said, Cam was her ‘lil nick-name when we are working.

“We’re not paying attention, right now! Some screw fell from the roof!” Me and Artemis screamed at the same time.

Artemis left his seat, and went to find out where the screw came from,

“I found it! I was able to put it back! We’re all good!” Artemis laughed.

“Anyways, yeah, Liam, Artemis’ brother?” I mumbled,

“Yeah, him and my little sister are, um, ‘ya know… Engaged!” Carmen exclaimed,

“What!? I- Is he there, now?! I haven’t seen him in so long!” Artemis begged to know,

“Yeah. I’m here, what’s up?” A deep voice replied.

“Liam? Is that… You?” Artemis muttered, he turned on his camera, “Liam… Do you know how long I waited for you? I waited months, every time someone came to the door, I thought it was you. When mom got sick, I gave up, I was done waiting. I followed my dreams and look, you’re on the Earth, I’m on the moon!” Artemis snapped.

I could tell who it was as soon as I heard him speak, he told me everything, he ran away from home to find his true love or whatever, leaving his mother and Artemis.

“Artemis- Please-!” Liam muttered,

“No! I really don’t wanna hear you ‘apology’ or whatever! You knew, you knew what it’d do. You knew it would leave me homeless… If you hate me so much, why don’t you just say it?” Artemis yelled on the verge of tears.

The ship went quiet until an alarm went off.

“I’m hearing an alarm, what is that?” Cam asked,

“I really, really don’t wanna find out.” I stuttered,

“Welp, I’ll go check it out, since Jordan’s a scaredy-cat.” Artemis gulped. “Yup, I’m pretty sure we aren’t going home!”

“No, you’re joking, right?” I really tried to assume the best, “That’s not funny to be-”

“I’m not joking, Jordan, I’m not sure if we’re going to be able to go back home…” Artemis replied.

It didn’t feel real, this was one of the only goals I had left, I flew to Paris, I ate in Italy, I went skydiving, and one of my last ones, going to the moon. The thought of when I was eight years old, writing down what I wanted to do when I was grown-up wondered in my mind.

“Artemis, I’m sorry.” I mumbled,

“What? What are you sorry about? This whole trip was amazing!” He asked,

“I should’ve told you how I felt.” I responded.

“This flight will self-destruct, in 59 seconds.” An automated voice called out,

“I’m glad you’re the one I’m going to die with.”

“Me too. The best partner I could ever ask for.”

“Now, now, don’t be too corny!”

“eighteen, seventeen, sixteen, fifteen, fourteen, thirteen, twelve…” The timer kept ticking down, I grabbed Artemis, he grabbed me…

(A day later, 9:07 A.M.)

Carmen sat at her apartment with her husband trying to comfort her, Liam sat with Carmen’s sister as they watched the death on the news… My cat escaped, walking all around town trying to find me, little did JK Meowing know, I was in space. Dead, but I was in space. All the town knew me, I was on the local newspaper, another goal of mine, at least I mattered.
© Copyright 2024 drainfall (drainfall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311274-Flight-363