*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311488-Chicken-Noodle-Soup
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #2311488
A person down on their luck finds a kind soul during a cold winter afternoon.
As I gaze at the concrete wall in front of me, my stomach begins to growl furiously. I don't know how long I've been sitting here, but I refuse to ruin this comfortable and warm ball I have become. It took a long time for me to wrap my clothes, and belongings around me in such a way that the breeze ceased to brush up against my skin. I catch a waft of something nearby. It smells like something warm and nostalgic. Whatever it is it makes my stomach growl furiously once again. Since my curiosity has been piqued, and my stomach overpowering my will, I finally get up from the floor after my long morning of cuddling the nearest dumpster.

Reaching the source of the smell, I see a line of some familiar folk. One of the people in line was lying around the other side of the dumpster I just came from. To see what the fuss is all about I enter the line, as everyone I see who is leaving has a bowl of soup. "This is that good ol' stuff they got cookin' up in there!" said my dumpster neighbour, as they passed by me barely containing themselves as they wolf down the soup. I smile a bit in response, as I lack the energy to engage in any conversation at the moment. I finally get up to take my bowl, and I am greeted with the a smile that should be immortalized in gold. "We have a soup made with chicken, noodles, carrots, and potatoes. Each serving is free, so would you like some?" asks the server. I just nod my head, it feels like I have some spittle around the side of my mouth so I lick it up. The cooks behind her move the pots further from the serving area, but the server continues to maintain a warm, welcoming presence by gracefully pouring soup into a bowl from their ladle. They put on a fun little show with a throw from the ladle, and as it fills they wait for me to take it.

I just stare blankly at the server, as they're the most welcoming sight I've been introduced to in a long time. I savor the moment, and take my time slowly reaching out to the bowl. "Please be patient everyone, we have more fresh soup being added to the pot!" the server exclaims as I finally grasp the bowl from their hands. My dumpster neighbour invites me to sit next to them, and I follow suit. As I eat my eyes are held captive by the server, and I just watch as they continue to treat everyone just as they did me. As they run out of soup to give, the group loads up their equipment into their pickup truck and leave. Even as evetyone else has left, I still cannot move my eyes from where the server was.


They're beautiful.
© Copyright 2024 Kate Brandon (elderdo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311488-Chicken-Noodle-Soup