*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311492-Circles
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2311492
Flash Fiction
Circles

“I have a bone to pick with you young lady!”

“What kind of a bone?” six-year-old Lisa asked, looking up with interest.

In the middle of starting the next sentence, Grammie suddenly realized Lisa was not kidding. It had been a while since she’d spent time with her granddaughter, and she’d forgotten how literal kids are.

Suddenly jumping back into fun mode, Grammie said: “A chicken bone!”

“Where did you get a chicken bone? And how do you pick it?”

“Well, I used to get them from my mom (your great grandmother) when she cooked chicken! I always got to pick the one I wanted as long as I ate the chicken it was attached to.”

“Oh yeah, I keep forgetting chickens are alive before they go to the supermarket as food. Does it hurt them when they become food?”

“I don’t think so. I think they leave the chicken body before it goes to the supermarket, and get born as something more fun, like a rabbit!”

“I love rabbits! I wish I could get one… So soft and so jumpy!”

“Well, I have to go get a birthday card for Alice next door, want to come, and we can stop at the pet store and pet some of their rabbits?”

“Can we buy one?!”

“Ah, no. But you can talk to your parents about getting a pet, and if we stop there today, you’ll know all about them!”

The trip went well. Later, sitting with Lisa’s parents, talking about the pet store visit, Lisa’s Mom asked her mother how they got involved in this in the first place.

“I was about to scold Lisa for leaving the water running.”

They both looked at her, confused.

“I guess you had to be there…” Grandma said, then she couldn’t stop laughing.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311492-Circles