*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311500-There-is-a-Line
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Dark · #2311500
A beautiful day in Dystopia...
Adam became aware of a dull tapping on his unit's door. He must've been sitting quite a while longer than he had supposed, as it was unusual that somebody would think to impose on another while they were in the "can", not to mention it being a terrible breach of etiquette.

"Occupied!" He barked.

"Well, I can see that," the voice from the other side was muffled through the thick metal of the enclosure, "but rules are rules! No more than fifteen minutes."

Adam sighed. Maybe he didn't have the backbone for this after all. He'd thought for sure that as bad as he'd felt over the holidays, he would have had the wherewithal to go this time.

"Are you deaf, Mate?" A muffled thorn and another round of tapping. "There's a line."

"Is there no dignity left?" Adam thought, shaking his head. It was almost comical. He stood and pulled his Bio-ID card from its slot in the wall.

"Stop initiated," a mechanized voice declared and the door slid open with a clank. "Have a nice day."

The tapping guy gave Adam a look and scuttled by him into the chamber closing the door behind him while the queue ticked forward a step, nobody paying the other any particular mind. Adam's mind pecked at the tragedy of it all...or was it the humor? He hadn't noticed it earlier.
Finally a beautiful day in Dystopia and the suicide pods were hopping.

"There is a line."





© Copyright 2024 Kyle Curcio (curcio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311500-There-is-a-Line