*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311501-Part-12---Berry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bertos
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2311501
A chapter in a book, tell me what you think.
Eternal Covenant Sanctuary

         'Lonnie, we forgot the note,' were the first words from Arty as they appeared in a small, tidy room lit by sunlight. He immediately started scanning the stark room for clues.
         'Arty,' Lonnie blurted.
         Arty could see an austere room with simple provisions.
         'ARTY,' insisted Lonnie, 'look, there is a note.'
         Blinking, Arty stopped his assessment to focus on his friend's discovery.
         O' all-powerful one, if you see fit, on your return, please call me, 302-555-1009.
         'We forget a note and come to a place that has a note for us. Kind of ironic, Lon. And look, there's a phone for us to use.'
         Arty reached down and picked up the receiver; a clear dial tone answered him. 'Well, All-Powerful One, shall we?' His face flushed with excitement.
         'Hold on a second. I know I said I was hungry, but we should scope this place out first,' calmly spoke Lonnie as he started searching the table the phone was on.
         Arty nodded in agreement and stepped away to survey the room, revealing two doors, one clearly leading outdoors. The windows, though modern, lacked any exceptional features, adorned only with tidy purple and white curtains. To one side, a neatly made bed accompanied by a night table completed the modest furnishings.
         In a drawer beneath the desk, Lonnie uncovered a trove of small items, none of which proved useful except for a magazine. 'Arty, it seems to be sometime after April 2021,' he remarked, indicating the periodical with bold print that read, 'Culinary Adventures - Is wine the answer?'
         Arty gingerly eased open the exterior door, wincing at the slow and intense squeak. He mouthed an apologetic 'Geez, sorry Lon' towards his friend. Gazing outside, he discovered a morning dawn casting its glow on an unkempt yard that stretched towards a rural road. His eyes widened as he absorbed the scene, slowly closing the door with the sustained squeak until it finally clicked shut.
         His attention shifted towards the adjacent door. Nodding to Lonnie, Arty tiptoed closer to the interior door, only to find the latch broken. With a gentle touch, the door swung open, surprising him. 'Oops,' he muttered softly to himself.
         'Lon let's check out this room,' he gestured towards the dimly lit space. 'I doubt anyone's around.'
         'That's fine. Let me take the lead,' Lonnie requested.
         Arty chuckled. 'Sure thing. I should've known better.'
         Lonnie approached, placing a reassuring hand on Arty's shoulder before entering the room quietly. 'It's natural. It's what I do,' he reassured Arty.
         As Lonnie entered, his large frame moved gracefully through the dimness. Arty followed closely. 'Look at this setup,' Lonnie remarked, almost to himself, gesturing at the chairs arranged in a semi-circle as he stepped further into the room.
         Arty joined him, scanning the space. 'Seems like a counseling session spot. Look, there's even a table with a water cooler.'
         'That might be the main entrance. And check this out, a couple of doors back here,' Lonnie observed. 'Probably leads to a bathroom or something.'
         'Yeah, it looks like someone used this place for counseling sessions. A kitchen and bathroom make sense,' Arty remarked, drifting towards one of the large windows facing the building's front.
         After a brief absence, Lonnie reappeared. 'Found a bathroom with a shower and toilet, and a small kitchen,' he relayed, observing Arty's gaze fixed on the window. 'But there's no sign of food anywhere,' disappointment evident in his tone.
         'Looks like we're at an impasse,' Arty began, taking the lead. 'Let's make that call. Do you think the note is intended for the time traveler? They might not know the full story. I mean, we certainly don't have all the pieces.'
         Right,' Lonnie ventured into the anteroom first. 'My hands are shaking, man.'
         'That'd be adrenaline, right? Remember Ms. Thompson in the library?' Arty tried to calm his lifelong personal hero.
         Standing before the phone, a sense of anticipation hung between them, almost as if they expected something magical to occur. Then, abruptly, Arty took the initiative, grabbing the receiver and dialing the number from the note. After numerous rings, sweat trailing down his back, he almost gave up hope when a timid voice finally said, 'hello.'
         'I'm responding to your message,' Arty replied, with Lonnie anxiously observing.
         'Oh my, I'll be right there, please don't go,' the soft male voice responded before the line clicked.
         Arty showed the phone to Lonnie. 'He hung up and mentioned he'd be here right away. We're somewhere in the South though; he had an accent.'
         Lonnie settled on the bed, crossing his legs at the ankle. 'I guess we wait.'
         'Why would the traveler have a card here? I was thinking, were those the first 54 places he went? So many questions,' Lonnie rambled, observing the clean space. 'Do you think that guy will bring food? This room is tiny. Where are the clothes?'
         'Lonnie, slow down, you're spewing words like a waterfall. And I doubt he's bringing food,' Arty interjected, collecting his thoughts. 'Let's let him lead the conversation; I've got a feeling this guy will spill everything.'
         'Huh, you think?' Lonnie responded, finally slowing his train of thought.
         They sensed his arrival before laying eyes on him. The entry door slammed, followed by a crash from the larger room, and then the broken door swung open. 'Hey y'all!' burst from the lanky, tanned man who almost stumbled through the door. 'You're here, really here.'
         'Yes, I've returned,' Arty responded stoically.
         The man fell to his knees, a prayerful expression on his face. 'I brought the trinket, sir, umm Lord.'
         Lonnie's head twitched in surprise as Arty approached the man saying. 'That is good.'
         'I am Luke, Luke Chubb. May I speak?'
         'Yes,' Arty replied simply.
         With a relieved voice, Luke launched into a rehearsed story. 'When you left here three years ago, Pastor Margie promised we would keep the trinket safe and wait for your return, as you promised.'
         Arty's eyes widened, but he let Luke continue. 'Please go on.'
         'Um, yes,' Luke stuttered, his train of thought disrupted. 'We, the whole church, came here daily at 5 pm, even during Covid. We didn't miss a night. We lost Pastor Margie in the summer of 2020, rest her soul, and then Ethan and his wife Julie Meyers in August after that. We kept it up, well, until they put Auntie Matilda in the nursing home. That left just me, to maintain the Church of Eternal Covenant Sanctuary. Continually waiting here. I placed that note after no one came for so long,' he gestured to the note 'it was just last year. I apologize if that was wrong.'
         'No, you've done well,' Arty said, adopting a demeanor reminiscent of someone holy.
         Smiling as if achieving life's goals, Luke began to stand but changed his mind midway. 'Do you want the trinket?'
         'Yes, please retrieve it,' Arty took command.
         Luke, suddenly eager, jumped up. 'Great, please follow me,' he scurried and bowed, then scurried, and bowed again, leading the way to a large room.
         Lonnie grinned at Arty as he stood saying under his breath, 'Now that was unexpected.'
         Arty nodded, motioning for them to follow Luke.
         The pair followed Luke into the large room. They could see Luke at the table with the water dispenser, pulling items from a box. Lonnie nudged Arty, 'Food' he muttered.
         Arty grinned and with a knowing nod to Lonnie, he requested 'Do you have the trinket?'
         Luke, his back to the men, had been occupied opening a small box. Retrieving the item, he triumphantly turned around and presented a white ceramic mug, adorned with the bold crimson text - Berry KY. 'Here it is, sir, um Lord.'
         'A coffee mug,' Lonnie suppressed an outright guffaw.
         'I brought some dark brew, sugar, and spare cups too. Does this meet your satisfaction?' Luke asked, a touch hesitant.
         'Yes, that's what was asked for,' Arty replied, keeping up the facade, though he cast a furtive glance at Luke.
         'Here, I brought snacks too. I, uh, I came so fast I grabbed what I had,' Luke indicated a box of a dozen doughnuts, missing five, and a bag of pork rinds. 'There weren't instructions on what food to bring, so, well, anyway, here, enjoy.'
         Lonnie made his way to the table and grabbed a doughnut and put several pork rinds on a paper plate, stuffing a couple in his mouth in the process. 'Thank you, Luke.'
         Busy preparing the coffee, Luke didn't look up but replied, 'You're welcome. May I ask you, uh, a question?'
         Lonnie busy crunching down on a pork rind, 'yeah sure.'
         'Pastor Margie said she was in the presence of one man, and uh, he was oriental.' Luke's gaze turned up at the large Lonnie. 'And you don't look like that.'
         'In the presence?' Lonnie replied avoiding the question.
         Arty heard the question and made his way over to his friend.
         Luke's eyes looked down again, his expression apologetic. 'When Kazu the great came and performed miracles for Pastor Margie, she told us he was by himself.'
         'We are his angels,' Arty interjected. 'He sent us. Kazu is great and mighty.'
         Thinking on his feet, Lonnie chimed in, 'He commanded us to come and check on Berry and Pastor Margie.'
         Relief washed over Luke's face as he stood tall. 'I kept up the church and brought y'all that trinket,' he stated proudly. 'It is a privilege to be in your presence. Is there anything I can do for you?'
         'Yes, we are in need of a length of rope and some food,' replied Arty with conviction.
         Luke blinked, considering the request. 'Rope and food, uh, okay.' His hand absentmindedly tapped his back pants pocket, checking for his wallet. 'Yeah, okay. Please, drink this coffee and snacks, and I'll return shortly,' he paused at the door. 'Y'all ain't leaving just yet, are ya?'
         'No' Arty called out, 'We will be here for a short while' his face full of determination.
         Seemingly pleased with that reply, Luke waved and left through the front door.
         Both Lonnie and Arty began speaking excitedly. 'Hold on,' Arty finally said. 'Tell me what you're thinking.'
         'We learned about the time traveler. His name is Kazu, and he was here about three years ago. And, um, he is Oriental,' Lonnie said carefully, sharing what he had gathered.
         'And', as Arty grabbed a doughnut taking a large bite of it, 'we got some food.' Almost expecting it, the doughnut was a bit stale, certainly a few days old. 'I was thinking Lon', taking another bite, 'we started with an anomaly, no card. You think there is an anomaly here where we phased in?'
         'Great idea,' Lonnie said, snatching a doughnut and a couple of pork rinds. 'I'll check; it would be in front of that desk.' He hurriedly disappeared into the other room, munching away.
         Arty poured himself a cup of coffee and settled down. His mind immediately drifted to Sarah's disappearance. 'No way she came here, but I didn't expect her here after all, the card was in the abyss,' he muttered to himself, his frown etched deeper on his face as he sifted through possible scenarios. As the new day brought bright sunshine through the windows, tiny dust particles danced in the sun rays, and Arty found himself absorbed in the distracted spectacle.
         It wasn't long before Lonnie stumbled back through the broken door, his excitement palpable. 'I found it! It's sure easier when you know what you're looking for.' He paused, noticing Arty's somber demeanor. 'Come on, man, let me show you.'
Lonnie quickly retraced his steps to the other room; he could hear Arty following him. He kneeled in front of the table and located the anomaly again. 'Look, Arty, the same blurry spot.' He waited for Arty to make it to him and pointed at the spot. 'Be careful; I don't think these are very forgiving.'
'Perfect,' kneeling, Arty thoughtfully said, 'this is a big deal. I would bet everything this is a one-way ticket to the smelly abyss.'
Lonnie made himself comfortable on the bed. 'Arty, we will get Sarah, I feel it in my bones.'
'We just need to get some grub and some rest. Lonnie, you look exhausted,' Arty remarked. Turning to see Lonnie had dozed off, he found a neatly folded blanket under the bed and covered Lonnie as best he could. Satisfied, he headed back to the main room.
He grabbed the nearly empty bag of pork rinds and filled his coffee. Dragging a chair near a window, he sat down, watching nothing happening - no cars, no noise, just the yard. 'Kazu, Kazu, Kazu, what is your story? How do you time travel? How did you find it? Why use cards? Why come here? Why go to Delaware? Why, why, why...' He soon dozed off himself.
The door burst open, and Luke backed his way in, both hands full, pizza in one and chicken in the other. 'I got you some good stuff,' he blurted. He set the food down triumphantly and turned to the slowly waking Arty, dozing on a chair. 'I am sorry, sir.'
Arty rolled his shoulder and let out an involuntary yawn. 'No worries, thank you for the food. Luke, before you go get the rope, can you tell me what miracle Pastor Margie witnessed?'
Luke appraised Arty, 'Kazu must not have shared, or y'all would know.'
Arty carefully replied, 'He has completed so many miracles; he didn't mention he did one here.'
'Okay, well, I hope you are okay. No need to bring the rope in; my little Mary Kay will,' hopefully spoke Luke. 'Here follow me, I'll show you the miracle'.
Arty glanced at the bedroom door, seeing no sign of Lonnie, he followed Luke out the door and around to the side of the building. 'What is that?' escaped his mouth as he took in the sight of a large mound covered in blooming lilac bushes.
Luke with a flailing his long arms, and bowing in reverence, took one knee and said, 'This,' he paused for dramatic effect. 'Kazu the all-powerful by his will, lifted his arms to this once lonely yard, flat as a pancake. Made the land rise, just like Moses parted the Red Sea, into this glorious mountain. On this mountain he sprouted those there lilac bushes. Such was his miracle, that every season the bloom, a true miracle' Luke bowed his head, waiting for his audience to absorb the scene.
Arty clapped his hands a couple of times, muttering, 'it does look miraculous.'
'Pardon?' chirped Luke.
'This is very special, Kazu must have had a great reason for doing this. This is remarkable,' Arty marveled, his voice hushed in awe. 'Kazu must have had a compelling reason for such a miraculous display. Did Pastor Margie ever mention why he performed this specific miracle?'
A small child approached as they talked, hauling a large bundle of bright red rope. Handing it to Luke, her blue eyes riveted on Arty. 'Here you go daddy, kin I git back to the truck?'
Luke stood proudly in front of the mound, 'Sure my little Mary Kay, drop it right there and head on back now' and motioning to Arty, 'this is 'cause Pastor Margie asked him to give her flowers forever. That's what she said' he proudly proclaimed.
Arty thought for a moment, 'Margie must have been special, did she share how the all-powerful one performed this miracle?' Motioning toward the large mound.
'He waved his hands about and forced the ground up with his will. You know, doesn't he always do that?' The confused look maintained on Luke. 'Where is your big angel friend?' he said skeptically as he backed away.
'He is in the bathroom,' said Arty, 'Kazu has many means to perform miracles. This one is one of his grandest' he added with a dramatic flair.
'You stay right there; I need to get somethin' from my truck.' Luke quickly turned around and strode quickly to the truck waiting on the street.
         Arty's eyes widened; he wasted no time, snatched the bundle of rope, and bolted into the building, slamming the door behind him. 'Lonnie, wake up!' he yelled. His frantic pace nearly reached the small door when Lonnie burst through it into the room.
'Arty, what's going on? You're scaring me,' cautioned Lonnie, his eyes scanning for potential danger.
'I blew our cover, and I think Luke might be fetching a gun or something. We have to get out of here!'
'I smell pizza!' Lonnie paused, his hunger overriding the urgency.
'Lonnie!!'
'Get the card ready; I see the food.' In a burst of energy, Lonnie grabbed the bag of food and the pizza box, turning to find Arty approaching with the card in hand. As their hands touched, Arty swiftly turned the card over, and they disappeared into the abyss.          
Luke came walking in the door, 'Here it is, it's a picture of the field before the mound.' He spoke to an empty room. 'Hello?' It was only a few paces to the broken door; he investigated the room; it too was empty. Sniffing, he said, 'Did someone try to light a fire?'
         

© Copyright 2024 Bertos (crevo77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311501-Part-12---Berry