*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311620-The-Race
Rated: E · Prose · Spiritual · #2311620
Fixing My Eyes on Jesus
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith..."

Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV


Years ago, when I first read the above verse, my focus was on the race. I wanted to be the perfect Christian and study God’s Word, memorize verses, meditate, go to church, join a Bible study, and bring others to Christ—all at the same time. I was on fire for the Lord!

As I matured in my Christian walk, my focus changed to the race marked out for me. I realized it wasn’t about what my plan was; it was about God’s will for me and how He could use me for His kingdom. He puts people and situations in my life just as they are supposed to be. Nothing happens in God’s world by chance. I realized that I needed to pay more attention to what was going on in my life through God’s eyes, not mine.

I learned to do this by fixing my eyes on Jesus, not on my circumstances. I can’t do this if I don’t know who Jesus is. Sometimes to see Him I need to not see anything that hinders my walk with Him. I need to not let the enemy steal my relationship with the Lord by diverting my attention to what feels wrong or missing in my life. Because I can’t do this alone, the Holy Spirit shows me the path I need to take so I can run with perseverance toward the race marked out for me.

###

“Perseverance is obeying even when God’s way doesn’t seem to make sense or produce immediate results...steady obedience develops perseverance”.
(Excerpt from Life Bible Touch Points)
© Copyright 2024 lbidler (lbidler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311620-The-Race