*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311621-Status-Points-299-words
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2311621
Flash Fiction Entry
Dea’s children became so insufferable about social media, she had to ban phones at the table, or they would spend the whole mealtime comparing “status points”, as they were called on their favorite platform.

It got worse when her son, Curt, brought home camera and sound equipment. She was skeptical, but hoped videocasting would be a constructive activity for him, so she let him take over the family room. Soon, he forbade entry while he was recording, which was most of the time.

Once, when he “couldn’t” join them at the table, she brought him his dinner. Instead of thanking her, he waved her away. “Get back! I don’t want you in the frame.”

“I’d like a little more respect!”

“Crap. I’m going to have to edit that out. Thank you, Mom!” She imagined his eyes rolling as he said it.

When Curt’s status points reached five digits, he announced he would be having guests on his videocasts and would need to take over the living room, as it was a more suitable space.

“What is everyone else supposed to do?”

“I don’t care. Just keep it to a whisper. I don’t like background noise.”

“Forget it. You and your guests can go out in the backyard.”

“With the dogs? In case you weren’t counting, I’m the one with the status points here.”

“Really? This is the last straw!” Dea entered the family room and carried out the recording equipment.

“Mom! What are you doing?”

“I’m selling all this tomorrow. We’re taking the family room back.”

When it was locked in the car trunk, she breathed easier than she had in months.

Curt was crushed. “I’m going to be nobody!”

He would be strong again, she knew, and hopefully better. But now, there was work for her to do.
© Copyright 2024 BeeSmith (beesmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311621-Status-Points-299-words