*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311678-A-Letter-to-Myself
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Contest Entry · #2311678
For the Dear Me Contest (and also for myself)
Dear Me,

So, it is the beginning of 2024. And that means it is time for New Year's Resolutions! Now, I know you rarely do these after years of horrible, easy goals in school have taught you otherwise. But maybe it's time for a change. Now, these goals will not be like those stupid ones you made in school, where they asked you to write down a book you were going to read, even though you knew that any of the books you wrote on the paper would be finished within a week. This is going to be something that will actually take you a long time, and something that will (hopefully) challenge you enough.

So, what will it be, you ask? Well, let's start with writing. Because of course, I'm writing you this letter, and it only seems appropriate. I know you never feel motivated to do anything, but let's change that. This year, I want you to get at least one short story (at least) every couple of months. Maybe every month, if you feel like it. Now I know that seems impossible now. But I know how many unfinished stories you have lying around, so you could definitely find one to work on. And, I know you've been meaning to revise some of those older stories you wrote a long, long time ago. So why don't you do it? It's the beginning of a new year, and you know what they say. New year, new me! Now I don't want to be hokey, because we both know it's quite annoying. But don't you think it fits? It's the first time you've been on WDC in several months, just because you simply couldn't find the motivation to do so, and I believe that's something to celebrate! Now, you can do anything. And that includes my second request of you, which has to do with one of your favorite things ever. Reading!

So, I know you read often. And quite frequently, if I'm being honest. But wouldn't it make you happier if you had a goal to keep in mind, something that makes you feel accomplished at the end of the year? My goal for you is that you keep track of how many books you've finished. I know you always hear those people saying, "I read fifty books!" or "I read twenty books!" and you wish you had a number to compete. So I challenge you to keep track of how many you read. You have plenty of notebooks lying around you could use, even the ones filled with half-hearted, only one-page stories. So find one, designate it, and tell me how many books you've finished. I know it isn't terribly hard, but I know you'll find some way to struggle with it, and that's okay! But just think, how amazing you will feel when you can say, "I read __ books last year!" and maybe, if we do this again next year, my goal could be for you to read more.

Now, there are many more things I could write about here. I could say that maybe we could finally put that story we've been toying with in our mind down on paper. Maybe you could finally begin that folder of revised stories from years ago. And of course, there are tons of things that have nothing to do with WDC or writing I could put in as well. Like increasing that growing playlist of yours to eighty songs or finally playing that D&D character you've been holding for the sidelines but secretly always wanted to play. But I know the importance of not piling yourself with work, and I won't do that to you. I've given you some goals, some resolutions, if you will, that will (hopefully) last you all year. And if it doesn't, and you find yourself bored with nothing to do, come back here and remember what you were thinking back in January 2024.
© Copyright 2024 Moonstone (moonstone8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311678-A-Letter-to-Myself