*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311975-The-Lighthouse
by Zane
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #2311975
A story about love and hope and forgiveness
Hi, my name is James and I want to tell u about my sister Jill and forgives. It's begins with our mother telling us a bedtime story.
" James and Jill do you want a story."

" Yes Mommy"
" Okay. Long time ago, ships and boats got lost at sea. They will wait until the sun rises to know the way to shore. Then one day someone built a lighthouse. It was a way to guide the ships and boats to shore. It was a symbol of hope for the ships and boats that there is a shore close by. The end"
" Mom that was a shirt story" I said.
" It's meant to be short, it's has a meaning."
" A meaning, what's the meaning?"
" That's for you to figure it out."
She left our room with a goodnight.
" What does the story mean?" I said.
" I don't know, but I was thinking James. If the lighthouse brought hope to the ships, can it bring hope to people."
" Mmmmmmh that's a great question."
"Yeah, I know. So, I thought why don't we find our lighthouse. Let's say when we do something wrong to each other we tell each other. When the other wants to forgive, he/she will say lighthouse. It's proof to the other you have truly forgiven them."
" That's a great idea. I have a confession to make."
" Me too"
" You go first Jill."
" Okay" she sat up " I was the one who broke your favourite toy. The plane dad brought u for Christmas."
" Lighthouse"
" Ohhh thank you."
" I ate the last cookie that Mommy thought it was you. I am so sorry."
"Lighthouse"
" Thank u"

We both laugh.
Since that day when our mother told us the story about the lighthouse at age 7, we been we been using it as our forgiveness.
But all that changed when Jill did something that changed my life forever.

We both applied to different colleges and universities we liked. We got replies from some of them. I waited for one university I was eyeing for. No reply came.
One day I told Jill my story and my how I wish to go there, it was my dream.
"Oh Jill, I need to get that reply. You know that I want to become an architect, and this is the best school."
" James"
" Yes"
She wasn't looking at me, " I didn't mail your application."
I looked at her and tears start flow down my cheeks.
" I am sorry James."
"Say you are lying!"
" I am sorry. Please say lighthouse."
"Jill, you don't understand. Lighthouse does not fix everything. We are not 7 years old Jill."
" I am sorry James."
I left the room. Since that day things have never been the same. I did become an architect but not in the university of my dreams.

Years went by and Jill and I grow apart. Until I got a call from our mother.
" Hi James"
" Hi mom"
Sobbing, " I hope you are okay."
"I am. Mom are u crying?"
" I am. When last did you talk to your sister"
" Eeeh. Don't know. Maybe 7 years ago"
" Oh my God." Sobbing even more
" What's wrong?"
"Your sister is sick."
" Sick.... As in flu"
" No. It's more serious than that. She's dying James. My little girl is dying."
" No mom. Don't say that. She was fine the last time I saw her. It can't be."
" She is in the hospital as we speak. Go and see her. She hasn't got any time left." She drops the phone.

I hurried to the hospital. When saw her, she was pale and looked weak. I touched her hand.
She woke up and looked at me.
" James"
" Hi Jill"
She smiled.
" When did this happen. Why didn't you tell me?"
" We had our problems, you remember.... All this happened two years ago."
" There's something we have to do or try. I can't lose u sis."
" We have tried everything James."
" No Jill. I can't lose you" I cried.
" Don't worry James. I'll be alright. Just please forgive me for what I did to u long time ago. I am so sorry James. I never thought it was your dream I wanted us to be together even in university. I am sorry."
I was crying non-stop.
" I love u James."
" I love u too" I smiled with tears rolling down my cheeks.
She smiled back.
" Lighthouse"
" Thank u"
She smiled and closed her eyes.

That was the last time I saw my twin sister. I still miss her but I never forget the day she told me about the lighthouse
© Copyright 2024 Zane (nezwi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2311975-The-Lighthouse