*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312054-Go-Free
Rated: E · Editorial · Biographical · #2312054
The Prompt is a lyric, "Go Free."
In a world constantly shifting, Joey was acutely aware of the relentless march of concrete and the ceaseless flow of traffic that tainted the once-pristine skies. Despite the siren call of the cities beckoning him to join the rat race, he longed for nothing more than to escape the urban jungle and experience genuine freedom.

He often dreamt of a life in harmony with nature, where the rivers murmured their ancient songs and the trees whispered tales from yesteryears. In this idyllic setting, he envisioned himself creating wine, a craft as old as civilization, lying on deserted beaches with topless women, symbolizing his desire for a more spartan, authentic existence.

The city seemed to extend its tendrils with its deepening cement hollows, yearning for more souls to ensnare in its web of illusion. But Joey was not seduced by the false promises of urban life. He was a man of vision, capable of seeing the grand scheme of the universe, imbued with a profound understanding that there was more to life than the superficial trappings of the city.

His inspiration came from the distant winds, the carefree laughter of children in schoolyards, and the resilient spirit of the street vendors. He saw the desperate need for freedom in those whose songs of joy had been turned into cries of despair by the harsh reality of urban existence.
He dreamed of being accessible and living in peace and harmony with nature, in tune with the universe's rhythms. And every day, he worked towards making this dream a reality, undeterred by the chaos and noise of the city around him. For Joey knew, freedom wasn't just a state of existence but a state of mind.

Then it happened - the concert of 1976. The venue was the old Sombrero of the Tampa Bay Bucs; the stadium pulsed with the lifeblood of music and the spirit of rebellion. Joey attended the concert with a friend (Mike, who played drums for " TDN" ) and knew Kenny Loggins. The music was more than just a collection of harmonious sounds; it was an anthem of freedom and authenticity, reflecting Joey's most profound dreams and desires.

The concert was followed by afterparties, where they rubbed shoulders with the band, partying until the break of dawn. Amidst the heady mix of music, laughter, and shared camaraderie, Joey discovered a sense of freedom far removed from the solitude he sought in nature. This freedom resonated within the core of his being, born from the shared experiences, the mutual understanding, and the harmonious union of diverse spirits. The early morning gave him a renewed understanding of freedom, encompassing a life free from urban constraints and the exhilarating liberty of shared human connection.

But with the sun's rising came reality. Joey boarded the airplane bound for NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach that afternoon. Now, 48 years later, he wonders what happened to that dream of freedom. He looks around at the pictures of those years, all filled with responsibilities, a wife, children, and now grandchildren, and he says to himself, "Thank God I didn't go free."

© Copyright 2024 Joey's Spring has Sprung (iamjoeyc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312054-Go-Free