*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312540-Paper-Lies
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2312540
This is a very short story about someone who sees no happy end in sight.
She always wondered what it would feel like to fly. Ever since she was a child she dreamt of flying. She didn’t dream of flying like a bird or Pterosaurs like other kids. She didn’t dream of it for the thrill. She dreamt of elevating her body and seeing the world from above. When she dreamt of danger, she would escape with flight, extending her arms slowly and rising to safety. Therefore, she never had nightmares. When her dreams became too intense, she would simply fly away from the danger.

-This will be my last flight — she whispered to herself

-My most important one, the city looks so nice from here. It really is a view, maybe a five-thousand-dollar view? The night is so clear. Beautiful for this time of year.

I wonder if I can reach the Empires State building from here? Wow that would be so cool.

She took a deep drag from her cigarette, held it a few seconds and exhaled. The night was clear; indeed, the night fog was just beginning to become visible. It made the city seem surreal when viewed from such heights. The bridge itself was cold. It was especially cold for her as she was sitting high above it all, on the top of the bridge. She wondered how she was able to get all the way to the top without being notices but indeed no one did. Not the drivers of the cars that drove by her as she made her way through the service ladders; not the coastguard boats that hovered under the bridge; not the residents of their apartments on Riverside Drive who would occasionally look out the windows of their apartments to view the bridge. She had been sitting up there here for a good long while. She wondered how long she would be able to remain up here without being noticed. It was so peaceful she thought — you barely hear the traffic.

-No people, no screaming, just the wind and the sound of the Hudson underneath me.

She stood up, started dancing on the railing. All she saw was the New York’s skyline, even with her eyes closed. She kept hearing Billy Joel’s New York State of Mind in her head. She kept dancing, spinning, and singing.

She opened her eyes and saw some bright lights underneath her.

The lights were from emergency vehicles that had been assembling underneath her. The lights highlighted the blonde streaks in her hair. She could clearly see her black denim jeans and her vintage Pink Floyd t-shirt.

-Please stand still -said a voice from below. She wondered who they were talking about.

-Please stand still; we are coming to help you. She thought they must be using speakers or a bullhorn for her to hear them so clearly from so high up.

She closed her eyes again,

All she heard once again was Billy Joel. All she saw was the New York lights. Suddenly she stopped, opened her eyes, and looked down.

-There must be an accident below me — she thought. Not for one second did it cross her mind that all those lights from the emergency vehicles were because of her. Suddenly her face lost all expression as she stared into the night. She remembered her mom, her two sisters, Francisco, and Father Longe.

-Mom, I will see you again — she whispered

-Ma, help me Ma — she whispered; but somewhat louder.

-Oh Maria, oh Angelina, how I love you. I am so sorry I couldn’t help — she spoke as a tear slowly made its way down her cheek.

She extended her arms and took her final flight.
© Copyright 2024 G.A. Botero (botero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312540-Paper-Lies