*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312578-Emilia-and-Sepet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2312578
A love story that becomes immortal
         
         
Title: Emilia and Sepet
Author: John Petermeier
Word Count: 1204
Character prompt: The Protagonist fears something or someone.


         The pale moon filtered through the balcony windows of Emilia's bedroom. It was the evening before her wedding to Sepet, and she still had not spoken to him.
         She looked out at the moon and sent her message to the sky, "My love, you have been away on family business again since last evening. I need to be with you, hear your calming words, feel your breath against my neck, and hear your voice as I have my doubts again."
         Leaning against her railing under a blood-red full moon, she hears the wolves howling in the forest below. She imagines they are calling for a lost member of theirs. .oh, what was that word Sepet taught her about wolves and their missing members? Pack members. They are called pack members. Wolves consider all pack members special and essential within the wolf pack. The Alpha male and Alpha female, no, the leading female, is called something different, but she is critical of the well-being of the wolves.
         She was listening to the wolves howling and began to hear what appeared to be a strong male presence howling without a female responding. After a sorrowful howl by the male soloist, Emilia whispers back, "I miss my Sepet, too."
         As if on command, a minute later, the solid floor-to-ceiling massive, engraved oak doors opened as if made of flimsy pine and in sweeps Sepet. He strides over, gently takes her hand, and kisses the back. He is cold from the outside. He must have rushed to see her.
          "Are you still awake? I am glad to see you appear well. Wait, you frown. What bothers you so? Has something not been to your liking?"
         "No, Sepet, I am fine."
          "No, I am not. Oh, Sepet, I am so afraid."
          "I am concerned about tomorrow--our wedding. Many people will be attending, and I do not know but a few. I do not fit into your lifestyle as I know nothing of it. I am afraid, and I do not know why. And I am ashamed to admit this, but I am afraid of you, too."
         "Beloved, my sweet, innocent beloved. I am glad you told me this. I am nervous about tomorrow, too. It makes me fear the unknown-you. You will be a rose among lilies tomorrow. You will become of us before you know it. I promise."
         "I have doubts, Sepet. Real doubts. I do not feel this is right. Something is telling me this is all wrong. To run away and hide. Those thoughts make me afraid. Make me afraid of you." Emilia paused and looked deeply into Sepet's eyes, "I don't want to be afraid of you, but my very being screams fear."
         "I need you to want to marry me of your own free will. You must come to me on your own. This choice I cannot force you to make."
         "I would feel much better if some of my family could be here. You sent the invitations, didn't you?
          "Yes, beloved. You saw the messengers leave yourself with the sealed invitations. The border wars may have slowed or even halted the messenger from arriving at the destinations. If that is the case, we shall prioritize visiting them after we are married. What else troubles you?"
          "Well, honestly, I feel like a prisoner here during the day. You are away on business or visiting nobles, and I cannot leave because of my safety. I only get to see you at night, which is only for a little while before you need to deal with other business. Will that change?"
          "Most certainly it will. We will spend all our waking hours together, my love."
          "Why is it when you are away, I have doubts, but when you are here, you wash them all away? You have something about you that makes me trust you completely. As you would never do anything to harm me."
          "Contrary to harm, I want to make you stunningly beautiful. Something kept in an hourglass. Encased in time, if you will."
          "You always talk so beautifully. How soon must you leave?"
          "Soon. I have yet to dine and must make final preparations for tomorrow's wedding. That is if you are still ready?"
          "Oh, yes. Now more than ever. I want to be by your side forever. I want to make you the best wife you could ever have. I want you to be proud of me." Emilia thought momentarily, "It is so late; I do not know how you can stay up and do everything you do. You must be ravished by now."
          "I am, quite. I must take my leave. Do not fret. I shall check on you before I retire to ensure you are safe. Your gown will be delivered before you awaken. I shall call on you earlier than usual. We will proceed to the chapel together. As we enter, all eyes will be on you as they will never have seen anything like you in a long while."
          The wedding day was overcast and gloomy. The sun had not been shining all day. Emilia did not even notice. She was giddy with joy. Her Prince Charming was going to marry her soon, and her life would soon be something written in books.
          On the eve of her wedding, as Emilia approached the balcony to listen to her friend, the wolves, sing their nightly songs, to her dismay, she discovered there was no singing this evening. All voices were quiet: the night she needed her adopted family the most. She wanted her nocturnal family more than her flesh and blood family because they helped her feel more alive, cared for, loved, eternal."
          "Beloved, are you all right? I called you for a few minutes, and you haven't answered. I was worried about you. Are you well?"
          "Oh, Sepet. I feel dreadful. I came out to hear the wolves and be cheered, only to discover they weren't there. Are they gone? Will they come back? Are they mad at me? Don't they like me?
          "My dearest sweetness, you are so innocent--the reason you were chosen. Of course, the wolves like you; they adore you. You are already part of your Pack. They are waiting for tonight's wedding so they may welcome you into our family. They want you to meet their cubs. You will love them all, I am sure of it."
          "There are cubs? Oh, how wonderful! And they want me to meet them, too? I can't wait. I promise I will be great; what am I to them? An aunt or cousin?"
          "You will be their Queen."
          "Oh, I do enjoy playing pretend. I can't wait until tomorrow."
          "You will be preoccupied for the next four days after tonight. Everyone will understand and is expecting this. After the four days, there will be a giant party after you have eaten. I will prepare your first meal and be with you while you eat. It must go according to plan. After your party, we will see the wolves and pups until dawn; sleep is required. Are there any questions, my beloved?"
          "Will I remember you?"
          "Yes, my beloved. You will always remember me, as I, you."










                   
         

© Copyright 2024 J.R. PETE (jtpete86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312578-Emilia-and-Sepet