*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312585-The-Man-from-the-Blue-Glow
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2312585
a quiet night at home
With everyone away, Matt sprawled on the couch, beer bottle at his feet. His attention had wandered far off. The big screen on the wall was now merely a bland bluish glow pouring into the room.

“Matthew!” Matt sat up upon hearing his name. A tidily dressed man appeared to be knocking on the other side of the television screen. “May I come in?" Without waiting for an answer the man emerged through the big screen and into the room.

“Whoa!”

“I hope you don't mind. I know this is a bit unexpected."

“No kidding!”

The man settled silently into a chair opposite Matt. The determined gaze the man directed his way disturbed him.

“What are you doing?" Matt asked.

“Watching."

“I didn’t invite you here. I don't want to be watched."

“Come now, you've been watching us for years."

“Us?”

“Yes, the characters you've been watching on television. We discussed the matter and decided enough is enough. Why do you watch us?”

“Relaxation?"

“You don’t look relaxed."

“Maybe I’d be relaxed if you’d stayed where you belong.”

“Where I belong? With murderers, car chases, and jilted love? You’d like that wouldn’t you?”

“They’re just shows.”

“Sure, you say that on this side of the screen, but what if I told you I’m here to bring you over to the other side?” The man, suddenly activated, lunged toward Matt.

“Get your hands off me.” He picked up the beer bottle and chased the man across the room. “Get outta here!” Finally, as the man reached the big screen, Matt threw the bottle. The TV went dark. The man vanished.

In the ensuing calm, Matt noticed his still quickened pulse and a feeling, which he hadn’t noticed until now, of being alive.

“Damn! That show is better than I thought!”
© Copyright 2024 BeeSmith (beesmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312585-The-Man-from-the-Blue-Glow