*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312721-Things-That-Go-Bump
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2312721
Wake up! You're snoring.
Things That Go Bump



Wake up! You’re snoring.



Skrie’s eyes snapped open at the words. The surrounding forest was dead quiet. The voice was not one she knew. And, considering she traveled alone, it alerted her to danger. This night, she’d found a hidey-hole to crawl into as darkness settled over the landscape. She lay still, barely breathing, as she listened to the eerie silence.



Then she heard it. A twig snapped nearby as she sensed something large and predatory pass by the hollow log she occupied. Her heart threatened to pound out of her chest as she struggled to control her breath. She prayed furiously to Ashta’Qi, goddess of the Western Wood, promising the next squirrel or three she snared as an offering to the denizens of the forest.



Her skin prickled and cold sweat poured from her body at the evil exuding from the other side of the wood. A calming presence enveloped her and a shield formed between her and the terror welling up inside. The corruption circled her refuge as she huddled in her dark, earthy, hiding spot. She shivered and almost yelped as something brushed against her cheek. The ward strengthened around her as she trembled in the dark.



An eternity later, the vile predator moved away. A comforting cocoon surrounded her as she relaxed into a deep, dreamless sleep.

© Copyright 2024 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2312721-Things-That-Go-Bump